Spyder Garage

Default Cleaning the Spyder

I have a 2020 limited was wondering is there is any thing I should be carefull of when washing it? Any areas that hold water or any thing like that? Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2020 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Title - syyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Always take the key out, so water doesn't run down into the ignition switch.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

As long as you don't intentionally spray a stream of water into electrical areas, I think you'll be just fine. Remember, these machines were designed to be ridden in the rain.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    As long as you don't intentionally spray a stream of water into electrical areas, I think you'll be just fine. Remember, these machines were designed to be ridden in the rain.
    and let me add a HIGH pressure washer is way more likely to cause an issue .....jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

For decades, I have been using S-100 cleaner, but ONLY on the wheels, engine and underneath parts because it needs a lot of rinsing. For the bodywork, I toss an old washcloth in a bucket of plain water and throw a old bath towel on the seat and proceed to do my wet cloth - dry cloth my lazy man's method of cleaning. It's very rare that I drag out the hose though.
    Two things to know (in addition to my being lazy) 1. We have soft water here that does a good job of cleaning without soap and 2. We have very few flying bugs compared to the rest of the country.
    One reason I don't need to do hose washes is I dust off the bike after each day's run and often wipe with a detailer - mine is Griot's Best of Show. If it's exceptionally dusty, then it's the wet cloth / dry cloth. If I got caught in rain, or spend days at the coast, then I drag out the hose.
    But that's just me.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quarter-Car-Wash, but I avoid the instrument panel and handlebars. Works great and it's quick. Never had an issue.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have two quarts of windex that I inherited.... Spray windex then wipe down with damp micro fiber. Half bucket of fresh water to rinse my micro in, keeping the water fresh so there are no streaks. Works really well if not super scroungy. If that's a risky no, no, then I'm sure someone will comment here, but I've never had a problem with the procedure.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I have two quarts of windex that I inherited.... Spray windex then wipe down with damp micro fiber. Half bucket of fresh water to rinse my micro in, keeping the water fresh so there are no streaks. Works really well if not super scroungy. If that's a risky no, no, then I'm sure someone will comment here, but I've never had a problem with the procedure.
    Read what's in the Windex ..... Ammonia & or bleach .... can effect plastic ie . windshields, light covers etc. ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Point well taken, looks like I wash my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

"Quarter car wash" and no issues?? None that you are aware of.
    Windex, really?? It never ceases to amaze me the non-automotive products people use on their bikes, such as a furniture dust & wax. I got criticized by a car restorer who enters his in concours, for using a wax that contains silicone.
    I keep my vehicles a long time - our car is going on its 14th year - and folks think they are brand new. I once traded in a 12 year old car and the dealer placed in on his showroom floor?
    It may sound like I spend a lot of time keeping up appearances, but being lazy, I really don't.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, I get it, a good wash job and a change in my procedure. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Pledge worked great for years for me. May require a wash first if really dirty.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Regular car wash soap and warm water in a bucket

Sponge and mitt working from the windshield, dash area and then top to bottom with wheels last. Rinse often to keep the soap from drying, and I use a leaf blower to blow the water spots away, then follow with micro fleece rags and a detailer spray. Follow with some Plexus polish on the windshield, and maybe some car wax on the major panels.

If given extra time and effort, finish with some Back to Black on the black panels and a final spray of Pledge on the windshield, headlights and fascia to keep the bugs from sticking as bad next time.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I washed mine today after getting a little mud underneath from some puddles. From now on, I plan on spraying it with the Pro Honda Spray Polish I use on my Gold Wing - which seems to work well. I am sure that it is the same stuff as the XPS spray cleaner/polish.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

Hand wash, rinse, low pressure garden hose.
    Microfiber towel dry.
    Turtle Wax Ice, then finish with Adam's Polishes Detail Spray.
    If you haven't tried it, Adam's stuff is the bomb.
    https://adamspolishes.com/collection...hoC-wMQAvD_BwE

Spyder Garage

I'm lazy, so each time I return, I dust 'er off with a California Duster. If dirtier, I fill a pail with plain water and toss in an old wash cloth and place an old hand or bath towel on the seat. Then I do the wet cloth, dry towel thing and don't need to schlep out the hose. I do this at motels too. I get rags from the desk and fill the room's wasted bucket with water.
    Disclaimer: We are blessed with soft water here - you can hose wash a black car in the sun and let dry and there will be absolutely no water spots. A wee bit of soap goes a very long way too.
    Once in a while I use a detailer - Griot's Garage Best of Show is my current favorite. When I'm ambitious - that's not often - I apply a coat of Meguire's #26 Yellow wax. I polish only with very fluffy microfiber cloths that can be purchased at fluff 'n puff booths at car shows or mail order from Griot's Garage. The regular microfiber cloths are used on non painted areas, such as chrome.
    P.S. Adams products are good too!

Spyder Garage

+1 for the Honda Pro Spray cleaner and Polish. I have used it for a number of years on various bikes and it seems to work
    real well for light to medium cleaning/polishing.

johnv
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

If really dirty, car wash soap and low pressure hose. Use a chammy to get all water droplets. Then i also use the Honda spray.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    Pledge worked great for years for me. May require a wash first if really dirty.
    I also have used Pledge for years on my bikes, airplane canopies, etc. The Spyder gets a light cleaning with Pledge every time I ride. Smells good, too.

Spyder Garage

Pledge, never thought of that. Have a can so will give it a try tomorrow.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Pledge, never thought of that. Have a can so will give it a try tomorrow.
    Watch out for bees!! Apparently, there's something in Pledge that they like!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Watch out for bees!! Apparently, there's something in Pledge that they like!
    That’s good to know too, had to get my revenge on the wasps in my shed the other day after getting stung by one.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

The Pledge thing has been going on since the mid 70"s. But if you ever use it you will have a problem if you try to repaint the bike. Because of the silicone in it.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5