Spyder Garage

Default Rear shock stiffener for 2015 RT?

Hello, does anyone know where I could get some rear spring stiffeners for a 2015 rt? Would like to ease the work on the bag when riding two up.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2020 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Not 1330cc motor related!

Spyder Garage

Maybe one of Baja Ron's Spring adjusters could work. I don't know if it would fit or if he would sell just one, they usually come in pairs. Find his phone number and give him a call.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zz14hl1 View Post
    Hello, does anyone know where I could get some rear spring stiffeners for a 2015 rt? Would like to easy the work on the bag when riding two up.
    Thanks
    I researched this pretty heavily and found some facts. Baja Rons spring adjusters are too small, they're for the front shocks. Here's what I did. Not too hard, but it reduced the pressures in the air bag to just enough to keep the wrinkles out of it. You can search my name to see what I learned about this air/spring system.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ferrerid=34189
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's wrong with letting the air bag do its job?

If I had <my> way, the suspension would be ALL air, no coil springs.
    You would ALWAYS have the proper spring rate for the load, and could maintain a constant ride height.

I realize that would be a perfect scenario, but my experience is with over-the-road semi trucks and also with S&W suspension on an early KZ1300 motorcycle 40 years ago.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What you need is a half of set of Doc Humpries front spring spacers...He sold front spring stiffeners in sets of 4...And he also had 1/2 sets that worked on the rear spring...Doc has disappeared, but there may be some SL members that have some laying around,,,They are easy to install...I have them on the rear only of my 2014 RTS for several years...I can ride 2 up with no air in the air bag if needed...larryd

Spyder Garage

you cant stiffen a spring...sorry (docs coil eliminators work tho)

the air bag restores ride height when weight added

you need an aftermarket shock by the sounds

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    you cant stiffen a spring...sorry (docs coil eliminators work tho)

the air bag restores ride height when weight added

you need an aftermarket shock by the sounds

russ
    Wellll, technically you were right with the first bolded bit, Russ! But not with the second bolded & underlined bit!

Even Doc's coil eliminators aren't really 'stiffening the spring', they're actually only shortening the free coil length while maintaining & possibly slightly increasing the static spring height - so the bit of 'un-bound coil' that's left working is still the same rate as it was before, ie. no stiffer or weaker; but because the 'eliminators' are stopping a couple (or more) of coils from doing anything but maintaining height just like a couple of fat washers would - or if you like, they work in much the same way a 'too light' coil can still 'sorta hold the suspension up' even tho it's bound & fully collapsed.... only in this particular case the spring 'stiffness' hasn't changed, it's just got less height to compress cos a few coils are already bound..... and the only relief you'll be giving the air-bag zz, is really when the spring 'bottoms out' early & applies all of that compression force jarringly thru the frame! Which is definitely NOT a good idea!!

So zz, if you want to 'ease the load on the air bag when riding two up', you really need an a/mkt shock & heavier coil combo - or that 'full air bag' suspension Steve W mentioned, preferably 'full a/mkt' too!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2020 at 06:45 AM. Reason: [[
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    What's wrong with letting the air bag do its job?

If I had <my> way, the suspension would be ALL air, no coil springs.
    You would ALWAYS have the proper spring rate for the load, and could maintain a constant ride height.

I realize that would be a perfect scenario, but my experience is with over-the-road semi trucks and also with S&W suspension on an early KZ1300 motorcycle 40 years ago.

Mr. Steve W,
    From the number of air system failures written about the air compressor seems to be the weak link. Take one of those cheap, small tire inflators and make it operate at 50-90% capacity constantly and see how long it lasts. I found (on my Spyder) the air system constantly cycling, adding then bleeding off. So, in an effort to not have my Spyder in the middle of nowhere with a busted air compressor, I decided to do something about it. Now, my air bag maintains about 5-10 PSI, and when I load a passenger the air bag goes to about 35 PSI (if I remember correctly). Previously it went into the somewhere around 75-80 PSI two up. System still works as intended, a lot less stress on the air compressor, and I can't tell the difference in ride quality. Still a luxury barge!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All Doc adjusters were a T bolt with a nut welded to it. Doing away with the compressor is the best way. But can be a bit pricey depending on what you do. I have seen some jam hard rubber in between the spring too. But results were not the best. Have not heard Bajz Ron selling a adjuster for the rear only the fronts. Good luck. Lots of info out there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Wellll, technically you were right with the first bolded bit, Russ! But not with the second bolded & underlined bit!

Even Doc's coil eliminators aren't really 'stiffening the spring', they're actually only shortening the free coil length while maintaining & possibly slightly increasing the static spring height - so the bit of 'un-bound coil' that's left working is still the same rate as it was before, ie. no stiffer or weaker; but because the 'eliminators' are stopping a couple (or more) of coils from doing anything but maintaining height just like a couple of fat washers would - or if you like, they work in much the same way a 'too light' coil can still 'sorta hold the suspension up' even tho it's bound & fully collapsed.... only in this particular case the spring 'stiffness' hasn't changed, it's just got less height to compress cos a few coils are already bound..... and the only relief you'll be giving the air-bag zz, is really when the spring 'bottoms out' early & applies all of that compression force jarringly thru the frame! Which is definitely NOT a good idea!!

So zz, if you want to 'ease the load on the air bag when riding two up', you really need an a/mkt shock & heavier coil combo - or that 'full air bag' suspension Steve W mentioned, preferably 'full a/mkt' too!
    hi pete
    i still maintain that RR spring coil eliminators work......ie they dont stiffen the spring but they do stiffen the ride

but having read a recent post from Baja ron re raising/lowering the front suspension height and consequently stiffening/softening the ride,which absolutely floored me, i completely withdraw from this subject as i now realise i dont know diddly squat about spring reactions and ride height and adjustable suspension per se
    russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    hi pete
    i still maintain that RR spring coil eliminators work......ie they dont stiffen the spring but they do stiffen the ride

but having read a recent post from Baja ron re raising/lowering the front suspension height and consequently stiffening/softening the ride,which absolutely floored me, i completely withdraw from this subject as i now realise i dont know diddly squat about spring reactions and ride height and adjustable suspension per se
    russ

They will certainly do that!

Not at all sure about the rest of your post above tho.... .....even if the complexities of suspension design & function are juuuust a little more complex than we might initially think!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Actually, Docs spring things and even spring rubbers inserted into the coil spring will increase spring rate.

Spring rate is a function not only of the wire diameter, but also other factors such as material, coil pitch, end conditioning and more.

When I mention more, consider the springs length and more importantly, the number of active coils. As you decrease the number of active coils by either cutting the spring shorter or deadening the coils with inserts or heat, the spring rate will increase.

Adding simply preload under the springs seat will not increase spring rate since no coils are deadened or removed.

Increased preload will increase spring force at full shock extension and full compression.
    Adding spring inserts may alter preload, but may not, it will however increase spring force at full compression via increased spring rate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    What you need is a half of set of Doc Humpries front spring spacers...He sold front spring stiffeners in sets of 4...And he also had 1/2 sets that worked on the rear spring...Doc has disappeared, but there may be some SL members that have some laying around,,,They are easy to install...I have them on the rear only of my 2014 RTS for several years...I can ride 2 up with no air in the air bag if needed...larryd
    These are aviaalave at auto parts stores and Summit racing. I'm going to look into them.

Larryd----- Was the install difficult????

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    These are aviaalave at auto parts stores and Summit racing. I'm going to look into them.

Larryd----- Was the install difficult????

Lew L
    Mine were not difficult at all, Maybe 15 minutes...Just position them between the coils and turn 1/4 turn with a socket,extension & ratchet...But I do have a automotive lift in my garage with adapters for the Spyder...

With all the air compressor and component failures I needed to have something that I can continue to ride 2 up with...I got caught one time riding 2 up with an air ride failure...Impossible for us to ride 2 up when the failure occurred...Rear tire rubs hard on the inside of the rear top fender...Yes I also carry a small portable air compressor, but when the air leaks out as fast as you put it in, its no help...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Mine were not difficult at all, Maybe 15 minutes...Just position them between the coils and turn 1/4 turn with a socket,extension & ratchet...But I do have a automotive lift in my garage with adapters for the Spyder...

With all the air compressor and component failures I needed to have something that I can continue to ride 2 up with...I got caught one time riding 2 up with an air ride failure...Impossible for us to ride 2 up when the failure occurred...Rear tire rubs hard on the inside of the rear top fender...Yes I also carry a small portable air compressor, but when the air leaks out as fast as you put it in, its no help...larryd
    Thanks Larry
    I'll use a HF jack and remove the long thin panel exposing the spring. I want to use the rubber ones though.

Lew L

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Larry
    I'll use a HF jack and remove the long thin panel exposing the spring. I want to use the rubber ones though.

Lew L
    Parts ordered from Amazon. Will be held in place with drilled hole for zip ties. ( thanks Youtube)

Spyder Garage

Well---- I gave up. Could not get the shock stiffeners in between the coils even after cutting them down some, lubing them, striking them--- no go. Then I tried to remove the rear shock--- a ture pain on the top bolt- gave in on it also. I may try next week.

Spyder Garage

Well---- I gave up. Could not get the shock stiffeners in between the coils even after cutting them down some, lubing them, striking them--- no go. Then I tried to remove the rear shock--- a ture pain on the top bolt- gave in on it also. I may try next week.
    Not even with the Spyder's rear end raised so the shock & coil were at full extension/not under load?!? That's odd, how big were the spacers?? Or was it just too tight in there to get any good leverage on them??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The spacers were big-- that's why I cut them down a little. I do believe I'll get them in with a bit more fine tuning. Yes the rear wheel was off the ground, sensor bolt removed, and bottom shock bolt out and the space between the coils really didn't change much. But I will get them in in a few days.
    Could the air bag have something to do with it???? Last time we were out ( two up ), I had the pressure all the way up.

Spyder Garage

Increased pressure in the air bag should make it easier to fit the spacers due to the wider coil gap... unless maybe the stretched length of the bag was the thing restricting the swingarm droop - which I haven't found to be the usual case

If the shock & coil are only under tension from their own static (assembled) length, you probably won't get much more coil gap without taking the coil off the shock, and that's not something you really want to do without completely removing the shock/coil assy from the Spyder & using suitable coil spring compression tools - and then you still hafta compress the 'now jammed out longer' coil sufficiently to get the shock/coil back together again before you can re-install it on your Spyder....

So it sounds like that 'bit more fine tuning' & a lotta lube is probably the way to go... Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

More " fine tuning" but no lube. Used zip ties for extra piece of mind but I don't see how they will come out. There is 27 psi in the air bag and 1 bar on the air bag gauge . We'll see how it rides soon. Felt good as I don't let mechanical things defeat me.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-15-2020 at 07:20 PM. Reason: speelng