Thread: New Member

Spyder Garage

Default New Member

Hello everyone i'm new to the Can am spyder scene and i'm looking for some advice on which one to purchase. I just got my license thru Team Arizona. There is two that I am looking at one is a 2010 RT and the other is a 2013 RS-S SM5. Please advice me since this is a lot of money to spend for a retired person on a fixed income.

Thank you
    Jim2012 spyder.jpg

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum Sampi1099. It depends what your looking for. Do you ride two up? Will you want to ride long distance from time to time? Always helps to do a little research on the different models that are available. There is one for sale in the for sale by owner area of this forum that I think is a steal if you are looking for an RT with the SM6 transmission. So you would have to give a little detail of what you are looking for; there are big difference between the two models you mention.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

No I don't ride 2 up and yes long distance riding is about 50 percent of the time. Since I,m new to this I have no one to ride with. Thank you I will check on one you said.

Spyder Garage

The Rt is better if you plan on touring, especially if you are taller. RSS has more of a sporter ride. The 2010's and 2011's did have a few growing pains. Throttle body is big one and DPS on the 2010. I have a 2011 RTS, SM5. It has been a great ryde so far. Also the RT'S have an air bag that controls the rear suspension. Depending on the model it could be controlled manually or automatically. On the 2010 RT, has a larger windshield than later model years. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Welcome to the forum Sampi1099. It depends what your looking for. Do you ride two up? Will you want to ride long distance from time to time? Always helps to do a little research on the different models that are available. There is one for sale in the for sale by owner area of this forum that I think is a steal if you are looking for an RT with the SM6 transmission. So you would have to give a little detail of what you are looking for; there are big difference between the two models you mention.
    just a bit of research could save you a lot of dis-appointment ..... and the V-twin is no longer used by BRP ..... the 1330 engine is the re-placement motor / trans combo asnd IMHO saved the BRP from failure ..... it is much closer to a Gold wing than previous models ever were ..... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm only 5'6" so im not tall. plus I live in the desert. Thank you all for your advice.

Spyder Garage

Be sure to try both flavors. Even though they are the same power plant, they do ride much different. You will most likely find the RT like a gold wing couch ride, and the RS more like a crotch rocket.

I cut my teeth on 08 and 09 GS/RS versions. Much prefered the three RT's I have owned.

I had a 2010 Premier Edition RT and I liked it a lot. I put 36,500 miles on mine before trading off on a 2014 RT Triple. I do like that one better than the twin. We still have it and turned 40,000 miles on it yesterday.

A recommendation: Have the dealer run the VIN for you. That will give you the service history. The throttle body issues (hard starting when hot), should have been fixed for free by the dealer under warranty. Once fixed, we had no further issues.

Let us know what you do.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-04-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

At this link you can find the features of the various years ans models of Spyder, https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/BRP.htm.

If long distance riding is your preference I agree with safecracker that the RT is probably the better choice. Although I've never owned a V-twin and the 2014 RT-S is my first Spyder that I hope to ride at least 200K miles, I agree very much with Mike that the 1330 ACE engine is an order of magnitude better that a 10 year old V-twin in terms of frequency and ease of maintenance, better fuel mileage, a six speed transmission and low end torque. As a fellow retiree who lives on a fixed income, if you can afford the increased initial cost of a 2014 or later RT, your long term ownership costs will be lower. Good luck and be safe.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome, likened U I retired end of last year then bought my first cycle ever this year... it was a 2013 RS SE5 and my brother has had a 2011 RT for a few years, as stated before it’s more of U’re liking, the RS is more of a sporty ride, where the RT is a touring, legs more out in front of U and the handlebars are higher so U sit more upright, my thing was the SE5 transmission, U still up sift and can down sift or it will do it for U without having to use a clutch, just my preference & my 2 cents

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Spyder

My Tip for you. Look and Ryde a couple of Spyders. See how they feel and learn how they Ryde. As for a Year or Model, If you can, go with the 2014 RT SE6 or newer (1330 engine) Spyder. Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 RTS-SE5 that had the 998 engine had that for 2 years, traded up to my current spyder, 2014 RTS-SE6 with the 1330 triple engine.

It is very low in maintenance, quieter engine, Higher torque, smoother ride, fewer fill-ups, refined front design,and heat management, new sach's shocks, 1200 watt alternator,( 85% more power for your electronic accessories), new 6 speed transmission, you can cruise comfortably at 3,300 RPM's new hydraulic clutch activation system with electronic pressure control. You can pass thru town with out downshifting. You can down shift or it will down shift for you.

Look at the "For the Sale by owner " on this site. Only a suggestion I would if you can do it financially get a 2014 and up spyder model, with the 1330 triple engine.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

ok everyone here is my new to me my ride 2012 Can Am spyder RT xs limited.2012 spyder.jpg

Spyder Garage

on your very clean & wonderful looking 'new to you' Spyder!

It might take a little bit to get really used to it, but if you get the revs up & keep them up (the SE's clutch doesn't fully engage til about 3500 rpm, so revs below that for too long aren't very good for it!) it won't be long before you're enjoying the Miles of Smiles!

If you haven't already, check out the 'Do's & Don't's' thread here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners - just make sure the bit you're reading is for the V-Twin motor; keep a relaxed grip on the bars & gently guide it while looking waaayy down the road at where you want to go; and don't forget to keep your shoulders relaxed & down... and ENJOY!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

You will enjoy it I'm sure. Congrats!!!!!

Spyder Garage

That bike looks brand new!

Spyder Garage

ok im a newby so do our bikes go thru emissions every year in AZ? Like a car does.

Spyder Garage

Default New Member

Hello all.

Spyder Garage

Cool Welcome

What part of Arizona are you located?? MY son is is Mariana, north of Tucson. Be sure to update your profile and let the forum know what you're ryding for future reference.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I live in Apache Junction north from your son.

Spyder Garage

&

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sampi1099 View Post
    Hello everyone i'm new to the Can am spyder scene and i'm looking for some advice on which one to purchase. I just got my license thru Team Arizona. There is two that I am looking at one is a 2010 RT and the other is a 2013 RS-S SM5. Please advice me since this is a lot of money to spend for a retired person on a fixed income.

Thank you
    Jim2012 spyder.jpg
    You will get a lot of opinions on this one. But really, the only opinion that matters is your own. Do what you can to ride as many different Spyder models and years as you are able. I'd say that this, if possible, will help you decide.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If by chance you want to check dealer offerings or just want a fantastic dealer to work with for service, please consider Sierra Cycles in Sierra Vista, AZ. Anyone that knows them, knows they are the BEST in AZ. I have no affiliation other than being a customer for over 5 years and have purchased 3 Spyders through them. Their website is https://www.sierracycles.com/ and ask for Steve Crump for Sales, Jeff Davidson for Service, and David Levitt is the co-owner along with his Father, Barry Levitt.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats.

Spyder Garage

Congrats and welcome!! I went from a Yamaha Venture S last fall to a 2018 RT Limited.... I found, as friends who already owned spyders told me, it took 1000 miles to "unlearn" riding a 2 wheel motorcycle, and another 1000 to really be comfortable on the 3 wheels.... I sold the Venture and will never look back!!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station