Thread: How Dirty

Spyder Garage

Default How Dirty

Ive been thinking about getting a tow trailer for my RT,Im wondering when you tow how dirty does the bike get and does any one use a cover or half cover?Also Im looking at a Tractor supply 5x10 at 630lbs,what kinda effect on gas mileage can I suspect?
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think a 6x10 would be better.

Spyder Garage

Sorry,going with 5x10 bc im trying to get the narrowest width possible so I can have my wife drive half the time and an 8ft wide trailer overall might be pushing it for her.The TSC trailer is actually 63" by 120" so it will fit no problem,Plus other guys on this forum are using this model.
    :

Spyder Garage

NEVER tow a covered Spyder on an open trailer unless you want to ruin the paint job.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Sorry,going with 5x10 bc im trying to get the narrowest width possible so I can have my wife drive half the time and an 8ft wide trailer overall might be pushing it for her.The TSC trailer is actually 63" by 120" so it will fit no problem,Plus other guys on this forum are using this model.
    You Spyder is 5'6" wide so you will need and opening about 6' wide for safety.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It will get as dirty as if you were driving it. Don't cover it, the cover will move and flap in the wind rub and scratch the Spyder. TSC has a 5.5 X 10 they sell, not sure of the weight. Good Luck with your search lets us know what you get and how you end up setting it up. I'm looking to do the same (get a trailer for the Spyder) in the near future.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 05-04-2020 at 03:16 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    You Spyder is 5'6" wide so you will need and opening about 6' wide for safety.
    I think it's really 63" ( = 5' 3" )at the most ...... tight but doable if you screw / bolt tracks ( like at the carwash ) onto the floor......jmho ..... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Be careful what the width measurements are listed at ..... if it's measured by the outside, you can lose quite a bit ..... and there is a hugh difference btwn . 5x10 and 8x10 .... as has been said .... also my experience with TSC trailers is this .... BOTH latching mechanisms for the drop tail broke off the trailer the first time I used it .... luckily they didn't happen at the same time and I was able to get some 8 inch bolts and rig it so it couldn't open with wrenches ..... annnnnnnnnnnnnd NEVER use a cover when trailering, your paint will be ruined. ... even the ones that CLAIM it can't happen ..... try this , take the softest thing you have and rub your cheek with it, really, really fast .... I'm sure you will get a skin burn, a cover can't be cinched down tight enough so it doesn't move ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I rented a trailer from Tractor Supply last year to haul my Spyder RTL. They classified the trailer as a 5 X 10. But it was actually much wider than five feet. I don't remember the exact dimensions but I had about 2 inches clearance on each side. The rental cost was $25.00 per day. Much less expensive than buying for occasional use. I don't know who manufactured the trailer I rented or even if it is one that TS sells. It looked different from those that were for sale. It was unpainted aluminum with a drop-down full-width ramp. TS usually rents the trailer to customers buying bulky items that won't fit in their pick-up..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

When I said it was 5x10 I meant 5.5x10 and I measured my overall width at 60.5" so it will fit fine.Ill probably use an over the tire strap on all 3 wheels and make a chock to locate it right in the middle.Im aiming for a narrow setup so a 6x10 is wider than I want.The TSC and the Aluma 638 both can work but The TSC is nearby so I can look at it and I would fix the weak ramp bracket design.I was hoping it wouldn't get as dirty running behind the tow vehicle.
    :

Spyder Garage

It isn’t the cheapest, but I went with the Aluma MC210. Made for 2 regular bikes, but fits my 16 F3t perfectly. Big aluminum rock guard keeps the bike pretty clean. Also went with over the wheel straps. Best is the ramp is long - no scrapes. It also stows underneath, so no big sail to catch the wind.
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have an open all aluminum (no rust) utility trailer that I bought for my 2010 RT years ago. My suggestion is to buy one that is a little wider than your Spyder for storage (ramps), mine is 7 x 10 (I think). Keep in mind you will need (3) ramps to get the Spyder into the trailer. Typically Spyder will bottom out on the transition over the integrated drop gate/ramp into the trailer. Just strap it down using good ratcheting straps to permanently mounted anchor loops on the floor of the trailer. I agree with the comments above, do not cover it while on a moving trailer. Not sure why you want to, it's uncovered while you are riding it down the road right? I also added a diamond tread tool box to the front frame for storage and telescoping stabilizer jacks in the back of the trailer so I can load/unload without being connected to my truck. Also, if your Spyder has its own trailer hitch it adds to the total length of the Spyder. Mine barely fits on my trailer and I wish I bought a longer one.
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars