Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3-S Front Sprocket Bolt Removal?

Hello All. I am trying to remove my front belt sprocket on my 2015 F-3 S and can’t figure out how to remove the bolt. The bolt and shaft turn but sprocket doesn’t. I have read that this is common for the 2015 F-3. When trying to loosen bolt with bike in gear bolt and shaft still spin. I don’t want to damage gears trying to loosen bolt with impact gun. Can anyone please offer a suggestion. Dealers are not close and the sprocket if readily available to purchase. Gear position sensor is sending a failure code as well. Please Help.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-03-2020 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Title

Spyder Garage

Front drive pulley tool made from a C-Clamp, some scrap metal, and a piece of broken belt. I made this one to fit a Harley Sportster, but the same design should work on a Spyder too. This tool will cost you about $10 if you use a new C-Clamp. There are special tools for these jobs, but big bucks and who knows when you might get one. The old pieces of belt will lock up on the pulley and hold it without leaving a scratch.

I think it was a 4 inch C-Clamp, but it wouldn't open up quite far enough to lock on the front pulley. I cut it and added about an inch to the back bone and it fit perfect. I didn't build it to look at. You can make a pretty one if you take your time. I just wanted to get the pulley off in a hurry when I made this one.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your suggestion but the splines of the sprocket are damaged/gone which allows shaft to spin inside sprocket. The bolt is attached to shaft that spins even when I put the bike in gear. I need to lock the shaft in place to break bolt loose.

Spyder Garage

Hmmm.........desperate times call for desperate measures. I'd probly attack the bolt head with an angle grinder, removing the flange and as much of the hex as to allow the pulley to slip over what remains of it, then use vice grips to remove the bolt from the shaft.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

An impact will likely get it off ,that is what i would use.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    An impact will likely get it off ,that is what i would use.
    I agree. A good impact wrench will very likely do the trick. That's the 1st thing I'd try. You aren't going to hurt anything. Just be sure you're turning it in the right direction.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. I will let you know how the impact wrench works.

Spyder Garage

If the shaft still turns with the impact wrench try putting wedges behind the sprocket. This will put presser on the bolt flange and then try the impact.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

If all else fails, get out the 4 inch side grinder and cut the pulley in half.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the suggestions about the impact wrench. I finally got the bolt out but pulley/ sprocket won’t pull off. Does anyone know if there is some type of set screw holding it on the output shaft? Another hurdle but I will finish the race.

Spyder Garage

AFAIK there's no set screw?!? Bit odd tho, that the bolt & shaft would turn only now the sprocket won't come off?? It should just pull off once the bolt is removed, altho you might need to use a puller.... But they normally pretty much fall off if the splines in the sprocket are damaged... this sprocket must really dislike you!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 330ALLTYDUP View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions about the impact wrench. I finally got the bolt out but pulley/ sprocket won’t pull off. Does anyone know if there is some type of set screw holding it on the output shaft? Another hurdle but I will finish the race.
    The pulley is a slip fit onto the shaft with no additional fasteners, except that one bolt.

Most likely the debris between the splines has it stuck in place. Consider spraying a mild penetrating oil, even WD40 between the pulley and shaft, trying to dislodge debris and get the pulley moving slightly.

Consider even using a punch or block of wood on the pulley teeth in an effort to rotate the pulley on the shaft to a loose spot.

Spyder Garage

I have used a three leg puller to removed rust jammed on pulley recently.the small one will fit through the holes in the pulley.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    I have used a three leg puller to removed rust jammed on pulley recently.the small one will fit through the holes in the pulley.
    Thanks for all suggestions. The three leg puller did the trick. The splines had not worn off on the rear of the sprocket which held it on from the back side. You all have been so helpful.