Spyder Garage

Default Harbor Freight lift

Looking at the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh $99 lift any good? Better ones? Will it get it off the ground high enough to put on a sway bar? 22” I heard was the best for removal and install.

Spyder Garage

I like it, I use it every chance I get. It will not raise but about 16 1/2". Plenty for normal work, not enuf for sway bar. I built an extension and do a 2 stage lift.

Take a look at this thread. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ay-bar-install
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    I like it, I use it every chance I get. It will not raise but about 16 1/2". Plenty for normal work, not enuf for sway bar. I built an extension and do a 2 stage lift.

Take a look at this thread. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ay-bar-install
    I think you could lift it 15"s .... set the tires on stands .... lower jack - remove it put an 8" high block of wood or construct a sturdy platform, put the jack back and lift the rest of the way ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought one and installed a sway bar last week. I lifted the bike up and placed it on cinder blocks. Then I put the lift on boards to get the bike up high enough to put the sway bar in. It only takes a minute to pull the old bar out and put the new one in. .. For what I needed for I am happy with saving $$

Spyder Garage

I have a J&S jack that was fairly expensive and now I wish I would have looked at other jacks.
    Not sure I would go with the cheapest jack I could find to lift your bike though.....

My two cents,
    P.W.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Spyder Garage

My son has a HF lift; I didn't like its performance and he had problems with the hydraulic jack, more than once. I paid more for the Craftsman and, IMO, the quality and performance are superior to the HF one.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I got one, But you'll need to run the front up on 2x4s to get the underside high enough.
    I works just fine for me!
    *Craigs LIST $40.00 WAS A NO BRAINER!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Heard several have done sway bar just using car ramps

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Heard several have done sway bar just using car ramps
    Not sure how. It fits up in a channel and there is solid lower section in the middle. Since there is a 90 degree bend in either end of the sway bar you have to rotate it almost straight down to have clearance to remove it. Then you have to have the same amount of clearance to install the new one.

Spyder Garage

Ive still got the craftsman jack that I used on my 03GW and it works great but theres no way it goes high enuf to do a sway bar.I had to set up blocks a lift in 2 stages.Also that jack wont fit under RT without lifting the frame about an inch first or riding up on some wood.I hate lifting that thing.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure about what you consider better ones. What I am sure about is in no way shape or form in this life would I ever trust a Harbor Freight product in any load bearing capacity.
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    I'm not sure about what you consider better ones. What I am sure about is in no way shape or form in this life would I ever trust a Harbor Freight product in any load bearing capacity.
    And just what brand would you feel comfortable crawling under without additional jack stands or other support?

Spyder Garage

I have a 12 year old lift, similar to the $99 HF unit, that I bought for my H-D from the local farm & Fleet store. Still works great to this day.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I bought this one. It is Chinese junk, but probably made in the same factory as the Craftsman stuff. For as infrequently as I'll use it, and not trusting it for a second (see the alternate support), it serves it's purpose. I bought it before the Chinese virus. Today, given the same choice, I wouldn't but it. Give all that, it does work flawlessly. Won't lift to the required 22", but I don't think any of the cheap lifts do. I think the Big Blue lift does, but it's expensive. This one does roll under the Spyder without the use of 2x6 or other pre-lift devices.
    Lighting Install (4).jpg

Lighting Install (5).jpg
    Attached wrong pic.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I've got the HF lift and it works fine. When I'm under the bike, it is on jack stands. I wouldn't trust any lift out there without a set of jack stands as back up. The lift does just that, lifts it up just long enough to get other means of support under it..ie.. jackstands
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

And just what brand would you feel comfortable crawling under without additional jack stands or other support?
    No brand on earth qualifies for that. My HF lift keeled over sideways with my Goldwing upon it damn near pinning me between it and my workbench. That was my experience,YMMV and all that, all I have to say.
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    My son has a HF lift; I didn't like its performance and he had problems with the hydraulic jack, more than once. I paid more for the Craftsman and, IMO, the quality and performance are superior to the HF one.
    If the HF and Craftsman both look like the one here, they are the same jack. Just different paint and label. Interestingly, the Craftsman version of this jack is no longer available. Sears shows a few other brand names for the same jack on their website. Doesn't come up at all on the Craftsman website. Amazon says not available.

Harbor Freight jack.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    I got one, But you'll need to run the front up on 2x4s to get the underside high enough.
    I works just fine for me!
    *Craigs LIST $40.00 WAS A NO BRAINER!!!
    I just pump up the rear shock air bag. That lifts the bike high enough to get the jack under.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I just pump up the rear shock air bag. That lifts the bike high enough to get the jack under.
    Interesting, mine fits under my 2019 RTL with a little room to spare. If I think about it will get an actual measurement from the top of the rubber runners down to the floor. Maybe the specs on the jack have changed a bit, or, could my RTL just be jacked up in the air too much?

Spyder Garage

Interesting, mine fits under my 2019 RTL with a little room to spare. If I think about it will get an actual measurement from the top of the rubber runners down to the floor. Maybe the specs on the jack have changed a bit, or, could my RTL just be jacked up in the air too much?
    The weight of the rider has an affect. The ACS keeps the Spyder at a particular level regardless of the passenger load. Heavier load, more pressure. Less load, lower pressure. Then when you park it there is no load, so higher the pressure while riding the higher the bike will set with no load.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I can attest to this style jack fitting under the Spyder RTL without any manipulation to the bike, and as to lifting, the one I got from Harbor Freight (I think they are both the same) lifts and lowers just fine.

https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/c...atv-jack/16395

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-63397.html
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I bought this one. It is Chinese junk, but probably made in the same factory as the Craftsman stuff. For as infrequently as I'll use it, and not trusting it for a second (see the alternate support), it serves it's purpose. I bought it before the Chinese virus. Today, given the same choice, I wouldn't but it. Give all that, it does work flawlessly. Won't lift to the required 22", but I don't think any of the cheap lifts do. I think the Big Blue lift does, but it's expensive. This one does roll under the Spyder without the use of 2x6 or other pre-lift devices.
    Lighting Install (4).jpg

Lighting Install (5).jpg
    Attached wrong pic.
    I have the cheaper version, the all steel one, if I were to do it over again, I would opt for this one <points up> which is the aluminum version for about 50 more. Either way they work fine if you know how to position them so the bike is balanced and take normal precautions when working on a jacked vehicle (jack stands).
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I've got the HF lift and it works fine. When I'm under the bike, it is on jack stands. I wouldn't trust any lift out there without a set of jack stands as back up. The lift does just that, lifts it up just long enough to get other means of support under it..ie.. jackstands
    A decade ago I was forced to teach auto shop at the High school where I taught Metal shop. The first semester was small motors and the second sem was basic, beginning auto. I stressed with the students that a car only falls on you once. I had a full assortment of Jack Stands

Not in my shop, but have you ever seen a car or truck fall off a rack??? It's bad!!!!

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    I have the cheaper version, the all steel one, if I were to do it over again, I would opt for this one <points up> which is the aluminum version for about 50 more. Either way they work fine if you know how to position them so the bike is balanced and take normal precautions when working on a jacked vehicle (jack stands).
    Note the car ramp under the rear. I didn't drive it up there, it was placed. I feel if you don't have to rotate the wheel (belt alignment/tensioning) or remove the rear wheel, this provides more stability than a jack stand on the rear shock bolt.
    h0gr1der