Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Our GPS's/Satnav's - update them regularly

For those who like me have a Sat Nav/GPS, make a point of updating your device regularly, especially during this Lockdown.

Why?
    GPS vendors refer to lifetime updates when they are sold in our country at least. That "Lifetime" is interpreted differently to what most of us would assume is a lifetime - as long as the device is alive.

This isn't the case.

Many Satnav manufacturers measure the lifetime by many factors including how many devices are receiving updates at any given time. If the number of devices downloading updates drops below a threshold, some manufacturers decide updating the few thousand left running as unnecessary, and stop producing the updates for the device.

Example
    • Acme Sells 250,000 Super NeverGetLost 500's.
    • After 2 years only 10,000 downloads have taken place. (1/25th of those sold)
    • After 3 years only 250 have bothered to download the updates. (1/1,000th of those sold)
    • 25 of these 250 are regular downloaders. (1/10,000th of those sold)
    • They will deem there are not enough "living" devices out there and stop producing updates.
    • Meanwhile yours sits in the cupboard in perfect working order, and yes the maps work but your maps aren't up to date.

There are other factors but this is one we can collectively influence. So dig out the cables for the GPS/Satnav, download manufacturers update software and update that GPS.

I want mine up to date because as soon as the ok is given for my wife and I to go on a long trip I'm "outa" here. I've warned the neighbors that when that day comes I'll be leaving the garage on my RTL as if I'd stolen it
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

There are a couple of members here who give regular warnings on when Garmin is publishing an up date, to keep us all up to date. Thank you for the explanation as why it is important besides knowing where the latest subdivision is.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage