Spyder Garage

Question F3-S Non Starter - can anyone in Pac NW turn off DESS?

Hey folks,
    This past week I have had a few instances where my 2015 F3-S didn't want to start, just dead. There were no error codes displayed, but I suspect I might be having the dreaded DESS issues that others here have had. Each time I've eventually gotten it started by taking the key out and just fiddling with it basically, until it does start. As I understand it, the DESS feature can be turned off with BUDS. So, my question is, does anyone here know where in the Pacific North West I can go to get it turned off. I don't particularly want to buy a BUDS and the accompanying license for this one issue.
    Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SmoovOpRatoR View Post
    Hey folks,
    This past week I have had a few instances where my 2015 F3-S didn't want to start, just dead. There were no error codes displayed, but I suspect I might be having the dreaded DESS issues that others here have had. Each time I've eventually gotten it started by taking the key out and just fiddling with it basically, until it does start. As I understand it, the DESS feature can be turned off with BUDS. So, my question is, does anyone here know where in the Pacific North West I can go to get it turned off. I don't particularly want to buy a BUDS and the accompanying license for this one issue.
    Thanks in advance.
    assuming you have checked the battery and terminals.the fuses and the solenoid in the front trunk.then yes dess is a potential issue.with dess turned off its one more thing not worry about when your miles from home.even if its not your current issue.
    yes then anyone can theoreticaly take your bike but how many people walk around with a key cut to your bike waiting for you to walk away.

just my thoughts

Spyder Garage

If you have a key that has a chip in it next to your can am key it could mess with the DESS. I do Commercial Security (card access), and things with chips that give a low frequency will give an invalid read. Just a thought.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey folks,
    Thanks in advance.
    If it's the DESS module , your instrument screen would be " orange ", I forget " what " is stated on the screen..... If you still have warranty the dealer Should re-place it ........... If not, the module costs about $135.00 from cheapcycleparts.comm ........ It's fairly easy to re-place DIY .... the module is bolted to the firewall just above the battery .... The FRUNK needs to be re-moved ( lots of video's out there ).... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I did replace the DESS module with a new, improved and have not had any trouble since. If it is the DESS, it will not fix itself and may leave you with grief miles from home. The frunk isn't bad to remove, but it's time consuming. Actual module replacement it about 5 minutes

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

By your description. It is not a DESS problem. If the DESS cannot read the key. It will show an error on the screen. So disabling the DESS will fix nothing in this case.

Next time it happens. Listen for the fuel pump. Did it run for a couple seconds after the key turned on? Does it happen when it's in gear or neutral? Do the brake lights work when this happens?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    By your description. It is not a DESS problem. If the DESS cannot read the key. It will show an error on the screen. So disabling the DESS will fix nothing in this case.

Next time it happens. Listen for the fuel pump. Did it run for a couple seconds after the key turned on? Does it happen when it's in gear or neutral? Do the brake lights work when this happens?
    So I turn the key, the lights come on, screen comes on, messages says remember to read your safety card, I press Eco button, press starter, then nothing. Usually I will turn the key 2-3 times press eco, press starter, fires up.

Spyder Garage

If the fuel pump runs for a couple seconds. When the key is turned on. The DESS is working and kill switch is in run position.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

hi smmove
    as previously stated DESS error or"bad key read" will show on cluster

i would get in the habit of selecting neutral(SE6?)when you stop
    that will eliminate the brake system from the start prob(no need for foot on the brake)
    then when it happens again,just keep trying the button...if it does start,then you know its the start button
    if you try a bunch of other stuff,and the bike starts,then you wont know what prob was

mine has been doing something similar,but i always blame myself for a half hearted press....as soon as i concentrate,the bike starts

if mine dosent start,i will jump the start solenoid in the frunk to see if i can isolate prob
    if bike starts then prob start button or starter relay and if no start then prob starter solenoid at fault,but havent needed to do this yet
    i think you need buds to check the start button

you may be able to post your ecu to the shop to delete DESS error....still a good idea imho
    it was the first thing i did when i got the dreaded DESS error

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How old is the battery ..... have it tested .... check battery terminals .... I always put Star washers on them ..... they have never loosened ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

So I turn the key, the lights come on, screen comes on, messages says remember to read your safety card, I press Eco button, press starter, then nothing. Usually I will turn the key 2-3 times press eco, press starter, fires up.
    I had that problem. It was the start button. While pressing it, wobble your thumb up and down. It will kick in. Ended up replacing the complete right handle module, under warranty, when the cruse control became defective.

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

So this morning before work (I'm essential, lol) it happened again. Key on, engine kill switch off, fuel pump prime noise, screen on, lights on, please read your safety card, eco button, start button, nothing. toggled the engine kill switch, could hear the fuel pump prime again, eco button, start, turned over. Very odd. Thanks for everyone's helpful info. I do believe it is not a DESS problem as others have stated there will be a warning message. So now it must be a button connection problem. I will attempt to have a dealer look at it, but during our stay at home orders in my area that might not be too easy.

Spyder Garage

If it is not under warranty. The right handlebar switch assembly is $235. I would guess 1 hour labour, maybe 1 1/2.

Not sure of the model features. But if your 2015 F3-S does not have cruise control. Time to upgrade to the switch assembly that has the cruise buttons on it.

2018 F3 LIMITED