Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Belt

Spyder Garage

Angry Stupid Belt

Just ranting here.I put a new Kanine rear tire on yesterday,that was the easy part.Setting the belt tension and getting the belt to ride where I wanted was way too much trouble.Seems like the slightest adjustment you make has it moving over too far.Seems like if they had to put a belt on it then they should have designed an easier system.Ive done this a couple times now and it never gets any easier.Rant over.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Setting the belt tension and getting the belt to ride where I wanted was way too much trouble.Seems like the slightest adjustment you make has it moving over too far.
    For a long discussion of my travails getting the alignment just right go here. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...m-amp-Question. I finally got it done. See post #14. There are several suggestions that may just help you. As long as you can get the belt to track between the flange and outside edge that is good enough. It moves as you ride and particularly it moves when you back up.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was there a problem with your belt before you changed the tire? If not, you should have left it alone.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Was there a problem with your belt before you changed the tire? If not, you should have left it alone.
    That's been said here many times, and for many not changing the adjusters has worked. But for some reason it hasn't for me. I've had to adjust the alignment every time I've changed the rear tire.

Spyder01, Ann's question is directed at you. What was the reason you needed to adjust the alignment?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mac, do you secure the axle adjusters with tape before you remove the axle? That keeps them from moving. We change lots of tires and very rarely do we have to adjust the belt.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Belt adjustment can be a very pesky, and frustrating event. Dropping the rear shock bolt is a good start. Which I am assuming you did. Taping or securing the adjusters is also a good step. And maybe a bit of luck doesn't hurt either.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Please don't forget to come back and give us your impressions of the Kanine tire. Many of us are craving that piece of information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As you know, after you get your belt adjusted and as you torque the axle nuts down, the slightest movement of the a axle will make the belt move. To help reduce that movement always tighten the axle nuts in the direction against the adjusters. Hope that helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    As you know, after you get your belt adjusted and as you torque the axle nuts down, the slightest movement of the a axle will make the belt move. To help reduce that movement always tighten the axle nuts in the direction against the adjusters. Hope that helps.
    Explain please. I can't figure out what you're referring to since bottom side of the axle nut moves in the direction against the adjusters and the top side away from them. In my case four years ago it was the top of the axle nut that pulled the axle away from the adjuster since it had more friction against the swing arm than did the bottom side.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 04-28-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: swap bottom and top

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Mac, do you secure the axle adjusters with tape before you remove the axle? That keeps them from moving. We change lots of tires and very rarely do we have to adjust the belt.
    Don't remember that I did, but probably not. Remember, the adjusters only keep the axle from moving forward, not backward. If, like in my case, the axle nut wants to creep the axle backwards when you're tightening it, even taping the adjusters isn't going to prevent it from doing so.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Chocking in front of the front wheels, and also using a Wedged chock up against the back of the new rear tire seems to help me, although I put a thin film of grease under the washers and try to only pull up on the axle nut to tighten. A bit of luck may be involved, and like all have said, I usually pull the shock bolt and roll the belt off so as Not to change the adjustors...
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Ok Im back from work.What I did was this,I jacked the tire up by the rear shock bolt with a rubber pad to keep from stressing it.Then I walked off belt which was very easy.I put some tape on adjuster blocks and I also had some yellow marks on axlw washers to show where they were sitting on swing arm.BTW I checked belt tension while tire was still on floor and it wass 140lbs.Took off caliper pulled axle and went to 3 tire shops before I found one willing to do it.Put it back on ,never disturbing anything and the belt wanted to go way far left.At this point the fun began and ended a couple hours later.After a short test ride belt is at 160lbs and tracking in middle like before.I think the problem is keeping the right side fully forward.Someone said put a rod in hollow axle end and use tie down to put some forward pressure on it .Might work but muffler is in way.I haven't got enuf miles on Kanine to pass judgement,its smooth is all I know.
    :

Spyder Garage

I ran a ratchet strap through the rim and put the hooks on the foot pegs to pull the wheel tight against the adjusters. Tightened the axle and the belt runs right where it did before I changed the tire.
    2013 RTS
    M2 Shocks
    Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55/15
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55/15
    Viair 97
    2013 RTS , Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Point of clarification ................... the belt is incapable of being smart or stupid, it relies on a human for that purpose.

Anonymous
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DougE View Post
    I ran a ratchet strap through the rim and put the hooks on the foot pegs to pull the wheel tight against the adjusters. Tightened the axle and the belt runs right where it did before I changed the tire.
    That might work
    :

Spyder Garage

Here's what worked for me. I use a ratchet strap also, but not in the rim as I need to roll the rear wheel to see where the belt ends up on the pulley.

The Spyder has a 5/8" (15.8mm) hole through the axle shaft. With the belt tension at ±175 Lbs (778 Newtons) there is very little chance the left adjuster will come off seat. The right side, not so much. So if you have a 1/2" (25mm) steel rod approximately 20" long you can slide it through the axle and hook a small ratchet strap to the rod protruding from the muffler side and find a pull point (front floorboard mount) to gently apply a few pounds of continuous tension frontward to keep the adjuster caps seated while tightening the bolt on the off side , holding the nut with an open end wrench, until good and snug. I also found a 1/2" drive Kolbalt 36mm standard socket on a torque wrench is short enough to actually get in by the muffler to do the final tighten. I tighten on the drive side first to snug it up, always pushing the wrench down or forward so as to not move the adjusters. Then I remove the ratchet strap and bar and using the torque wrench and short socket, finish tightening on the muffler side, always pulling the wrench up and/or forward on this side. You need to rotate the wheel several times to see where the belt will settle after the adjustments. I take the parking brake off and jack the rear off the ground to do this, and being lazy I use my belt sander to spin the rear wheel. Some folks run the Spyder in gear to do that, too much horsepower for me. Hand or belt sander is fine with me.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Another method that works well is use a wedge shaped piece of wood,(door stop) and wedge it between right side swing arm and tire. This keeps pressure on adjusters. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Not to throw a wrench in the mix, but just to be clear that you are only spinning the wheel forward....? If you spin it backward, it'll throw the tracking off.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Explain please. I can't figure out what you're referring to since bottom side of the axle nut moves in the direction against the adjusters and the top side away from them. In my case four years ago it was the top of the axle nut that pulled the axle away from the adjuster since it had more friction against the swing arm than did the bottom side.
    One wrench handle up, the other one down.

Spyder Garage

Pa i lived in fallentimber.
    2014 RT Limited , stock lamonster flat silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Another method that works well is use a wedge shaped piece of wood,(door stop) and wedge it between right side swing arm and tire. This keeps pressure on adjusters. Bruce
    I like this,seems easy
    :

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    I like this,seems easy
    Be sure to put it between the swingarm and rim like I show in the thread I link to above. The tire itself is flexible enough that the wedge being between the swingarm and tire will not absolutely keep the axle from moving.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Not to throw a wrench in the mix, but just to be clear that you are only spinning the wheel forward....? If you spin it backward, it'll throw the tracking off.
    From my experience only, you rotate the tire forward in the normal direction of travel to settle the belt. I shoot for the 1 credit card width, even though the spec is 1-5mm. You don't want the belt hard on the flange, but I like to run it close to the flange on the rear because (for my Spyder) the belt moves outboard when reversing. If you look at some videos of the belt running, they move about a bit when running normally.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I've found it works best to turn the wheel in reverse for a little bit after the adjustment. Then turn it forward and check tracking. By running in reverse and then forward, the belt will settle in closer to it's true tracking position.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I've found it works best to turn the wheel in reverse for a little bit after the adjustment. Then turn it forward and check tracking. By running in reverse and then forward, the belt will settle in closer to it's true tracking position.
    Yes. you can rotate the wheel both directions but what you don't want is the belt walking off the sprocket in either direction.