Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid Belt

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Yes. you can rotate the wheel both directions but what you don't want is the belt walking off the sprocket in either direction.
    True, but I've not seen it walk enough to be in danger of coming off if it's somewhere close to proper position.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you're good. Mine walks close to the outer edge in reverse but doesn't go past the edge. It rides the center of the sprocket when going forward.

Spyder Garage

There is a video somewhere wherein the mechanic explains that the easiest way to adjust the belt is with the tire constantly spinning with the weight of the spyder on it as in being on a "treadmill". He made the treadmill from 2 industrial rollers and aluminum frames/spacers on either side. I know he is right about this as every time I had my alignment perfect, it would walk off track and out of alignment when I put the bike back on the ground and took it for a ride. SOOOOO FRUSTRATING.... You know don't you??

So, I finally got it. A year later, stone through the belt, installed a new belt and THAT was more fun than a person deserves! WTH?? I finally got it but, shortly afterward I found this post (on this forum) and a video with this guy using the "treadmill" method. SO, I ordered myself some 1/2" plate aluminum and found some industrial rollers that would hold the weight of the Spyder with room to spare. I haven't built my treadmill yet but, I'm going to have to and soon...

...because, last year for my yearly Spyder upgrade, I thought I would treat myself to a 3-wheel laser alignment. I took it to a dealer in Hanover, PA. I have no idea what they did to the Spyder but, when I got it back, the belt was rubbing the inside flange after a short test ride. I took it immediately back. They adjusted... still no good. Took it back, ...still no good. OH... and it had "acquired" a new BAD vibration. I spent a lot of money to have my Spyder F'd up. The fourth time I took it back, the mechanic was VERY annoyed (yeah... I KNOW how he felt but, I thought HE was the expert... that's why I was paying the big bucks right??) so, I told them to just forget it. I've ridden it a few thousands of miles and no abnormal belt wear. Like I said, I must SOON build my treadmill!

Good luck all...
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Windagetray View Post
    There is a video somewhere wherein the mechanic explains that the easiest way to adjust the belt is with the tire constantly spinning with the weight of the spyder on it as in being on a "treadmill". He made the treadmill from 2 industrial rollers and aluminum frames/spacers on either side. I know he is right about this as every time I had my alignment perfect, it would walk off track and out of alignment when I put the bike back on the ground and took it for a ride. SOOOOO FRUSTRATING.... You know don't you??

So, I finally got it. A year later, stone through the belt, installed a new belt and THAT was more fun than a person deserves! WTH?? I finally got it but, shortly afterward I found this post (on this forum) and a video with this guy using the "treadmill" method. SO, I ordered myself some 1/2" plate aluminum and found some industrial rollers that would hold the weight of the Spyder with room to spare. I haven't built my treadmill yet but, I'm going to have to and soon...

...because, last year for my yearly Spyder upgrade, I thought I would treat myself to a 3-wheel laser alignment. I took it to a dealer in Hanover, PA. I have no idea what they did to the Spyder but, when I got it back, the belt was rubbing the inside flange after a short test ride. I took it immediately back. They adjusted... still no good. Took it back, ...still no good. OH... and it had "acquired" a new BAD vibration. I spent a lot of money to have my Spyder F'd up. The fourth time I took it back, the mechanic was VERY annoyed (yeah... I KNOW how he felt but, I thought HE was the expert... that's why I was paying the big bucks right??) so, I told them to just forget it. I've ridden it a few thousands of miles and no abnormal belt wear. Like I said, I must SOON build my treadmill!

Good luck all...
    I like your moniker, not a lot of folks remember what a windage tray is. I do my belt adjustment a little differently, and my dealer will set the belt at 1050N no matter what I ask of them, which causes my vibration (so I had to learn quick). Long story short I use a ratchet strap on the right/brake side, attached the floorboard bracket at the front and hooked to a 1/2" rod going through the rear axle at the right to keep slight tension forward on the whole assembly. The belt tension on the left/drive side keeps the adjusters tight, the ratchet strap does the same on the other side. I then make small incremental adjustments until 1.- The Krikit II reading makes me happy, and 2.- The belt is running where I want it. I used to spin it by hand (of course, wheel off the ground) but now use my 4" belt sander with an 80 grit belt set at low speed to spin it. Some folks run the engine in gear, but I'm a little leery of my hands around that much spinning mass and horsepower. Just my $.02.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I like your moniker, not a lot of folks remember what a windage tray is.
    I had no idea what a windage tray is until I Googled it! As soon as I saw the explanation I said, "That's why the Spyder engine has 'baffle' plates built into the bottom of the crankcase! It's for windage control!

1330 Engine crankcase 2.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)