Spyder Garage

Default Is this clutch set up stock?

It have a shifter with no clutch lever.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuongly267 View Post
    It have a shifter with no clutch lever.
    NO ..... I see the shift lever, so are you able shift without the clutch lever...????? I have read of something called an Air Shifter (?) ..... which I think is clutchless ..... we need to know more history about your Spyder ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

There is what BK says above, and there certainly does appear to be something hanging off that Left Handgrip unit! It's a bit hard to see, and it certainly could be an after-mkt clutch activation unit, but it also does vaguely look like the 'flappy paddles' for your Left Hand thumb & fore-finger are on the Left Handgrip, which, considering there is no clutch lever too, if that's correct will strongly suggest that you might have an SE5 GS/RS/RSS - ie, your Spyder has the Semi-auto 5 speed trans with a Centrifugal Clutch and electro-solenoid activated gear change triggered by hitting the '+' Paddle with your thumb to change UP, and the '-' Paddle with your fore-finger to change DOWN!

And if that's the case, then the 'lever-less' Clutch definitely IS stock, it's the selector lever down by your Left Foot that IS NOT stock!!

Just as a bit of back-ground (for those who haven't read it before! ) - all the gearboxes our Spyders run are basically the same in that they are technically still MANUAL gearboxes with either a Manually activated Clutch (& lever) and a foot lever for gear selection; or they have a Centrifugal or electro-hydraulic activated Clutch (no lever, instead use revs - SE5; or oil pressure - SE6, for engagement) and Flappy Paddles for your left Thumb & Forefinger to activate any gear changes. However, because they are all basically the same gearboxes, they all have the Selector Shaft sticking out of the casing under the tupperware down near your left foot, but only the SM5/SM6 versions usually have anything attached to that shaft - cos it's the foot operated gear-selection lever!

Your particular Spyder looks like it's either an SM5 modified to remove the Clutch Lever, or possibly it's one of the former SE5 Spyders, altho if that's the case, for whatever reason, that foot gear-selection lever has been added. It could be that the Flappy Paddles on the Left Hand Grip got a bit dodgy & the pedal was added to allow easier neutral selection (a few have had issues with the SE's jamming/stopping in gear & if you don't have enough battery juice left you could sometimes need to select neutral via turning the naked shaft sticking out of the box with a set of pliers?!?) Or maybe the Flappy Paddles failed completely?

Can we get an 'in focus' pic of that Left Handgrip? What controls are there? If they are fitted, do the left hand Flappy Paddles operate? If not, maybe the switch unit they trigger has failed & the foot lever was added to allow gear changing without using them at all - or maybe it was added simply because a former owner didn't have the thumb/fore-finger strength or dexterity to (always?) operate those paddles, but they did have the ability to use their left foot to change? We won't really know until you show us close up pics & try it all out and tell us what works & what doesn't, and knowing HOW any controls on the LH grip work & that pedal or even IF that pedal actually does anything would help a lot too?!?

Back to you for more info please!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-28-2020 at 03:12 AM. Reason: More info - then 'look' after vaguely & before like.... :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

It’s a customer bike. Come to me for a check up. She just brought it. I’ll send better pics tomorrow and maybe ride it.

There is no clutch lever on left handle bar. I did shift it into N, 1st and R with the left thumb bottoms. I did not touch the shifter by my left feet. It was really weird seeing that setup.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuongly267 View Post
    It’s a customer bike. Come to me for a check up. She just brought it. I’ll send better pics tomorrow and maybe ride it.

There is no clutch lever on left handle bar. I did shift it into N, 1st and R with the left thumb bottoms. I did not touch the shifter by my left feet. It was really weird seeing that setup.
    Instead of doing your own testing on how it works, I strongly suggest you contact the owner to find out how She does it ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Is that peg actually connected to the shift linkage, it looks too far away from the foot peg to be useful. It looks like someone added a foot rest to the bike to me.
    Last edited by ByronM; 04-28-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: SP

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ByronM View Post
    Is that peg actually connected to the shift linkage, it looks too far away from the foot peg to be useful. It looks like someone added a foot rest to the bike to me.
    I agree, looks too far away to use, unless she has really, really big feet!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

ADC8BD24-896C-485E-84F8-761579B323ED.jpgFFF08F48-5964-4CD6-827D-D63AA7607FE0.jpgC91E5003-A163-4D99-8156-A585374976F4.jpg401F1D61-91E6-49E1-BD15-18CC03030B54.jpg

Both shifter works. Left Thumb and left feet lever. Both shifts in all gears. You can leave the bike in any gear and will not stall.

My best guess is someone replaced the swap from a manual trans swap.

Spyder Garage

Someone put a shift lever on an SE5. It's been done before. Gives you both options. You don't really need a clutch to shift a constant mesh transmission, except to get it from neutral to 1st gear (and in this case, reverse).
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-29-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I agree with above post...
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles