Spyder Garage

Post 2008 Spyder GS won't start

Hi Everyone, I recently bought a 2008 Spyder GS and love it!!!! So much fun.

On Sunday, i was backing out of my garage and unfortunately it died on me. Now, i can't get it started. I have attempted the "code reset" of turning it on and off rapidly and tried stepping on the brake when starting, but all it does it click over and the panel resets.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!!!

Also, are you able to turn off the "Before Operating Read Safety Card" warning?

Spyder Garage

and on your Spyder. I started with that one back in 08. A great machine.

Cannot give you much technical advice. Is your emergency stop switch in the right position? Sometimes, it's the simple things.

Others will come on with more ideas.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

You likely need a new battery.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a dead battery or bad battery/ground connections. I would put a charge on the battery and check your connections. The Spyder is very voltage sensitive. And I know no way to turn off the start-up cycle sequence. You get used to it after awhile.

You will probably need a new battery. But you can start with the above and ease into the bad news....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I dunno, suddenly stopping while it's running and you were reversing??? I'd be extremely suspicious that you might've accidentally brushed or flipped the Emergency Stop Button while you were looking over your shoulder!

Have you tried resetting that a coupla times & having another go at starting?? That'd be my first action, cos really, if you show me a regular Rider who says they haven't ever accidentally flipped that switch (or had it flipped for them?!) & then had difficulties starting again until they realised it was the Emergency Stop switch causing their difficulties, then I'll show you someone who really ISN'T quite such a regular rider as they claim, or they're, purposefully or otherwise, 'glossing over reality' juuuust a little!! We've all done it, at least once; and we've all kicked ourselves once we found out what it was that was stopping us starting our bikes/Spyders again!

So check that Emergency Stop switch FIRST!! Toggle it a few times, make sure it feels like it's clicking open & shut. Try starting with it in the 'other' position. Maybe even give it a little squirt of Contact Cleaner or Water Dispersant.... And only AFTER you've done all that unsuccessfully should you start looking for other problems.

And please tell us what your eventual resolution might be, regardless - if it IS the switch, we won't promise not to laugh, but be very aware that even if we do, it's more of an 'embarrassed laugh' WITH you, not AT you, cos the vast majority of us have done the same thing at least once; and for any of those who haven't ridden long enough to have done it yet, or aren't brave enough to admit to themselves that they've already done it; just wait, it'll happen! It might not happen over-night, but it WILL happen!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I checked the kill switch. I have turned on/off all the switches i can find. Luckily, I have a 30 day warrantly with the store, so we will see what they find!

Spyder Garage

Yes to Peter and his post #5. IIRC it was the 2003.5 Ural Tourist I bought new around Thanksgiving in 03'. Tripped the engine cut off switch unknowingly. Looking back, I've been riding motorized 2 and 3 wheelers for 45 years, not as long as many here on this great forum as I'm only 63 years of age & there are plenty of riders here 80 and up with far more experience than I've realized. There's an old saying, "the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know". So very true!

As to the OP & his no go/no run situation, nice that his recent purchase includes a 30 day "we'll take care of it" warranty from the selling dealer although I would agree w/others assessments of what to check for including but not limited to a discharged/faulty battery and the likelihood of the engine kill switch needing some looking after. I know I've resolved at least one won't start issue by disassembling the kill switch module and cleaning up the contacts (WD-40 works well in this instance) then finishing them off with an application of dielectric grease, so long as the switch contacts are making solid connections

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.K
    2020 Rally , Black