Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL Seat Removal

How do you remove the front seat from the RTL. I see two bolts to the arms. One bolt to the shock on the side. Is the shock under stress? Do you have to remove that side panel? Noy easy. And where is the plug for the heat seat. The wire goes under the passenger seat. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

OK with some digging with smaller hands, we found the plug for the front seat. Just need to know about the shock attached to the left side. I can get an 8mm wrench on it. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the shocks you slip a flat tip under the band and pop it off. I’m taking a picture of the shock on my trailer but it should be the same concept.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

It is under a slight bit of pressure. I took the 8mm bolt out and it kind of just moved out of the way.

Slide the pins out of the seat hinge and it came right off. Our machine had the wire routed down the drivers right hinge, down under the panels and back up through the center.

If you are changing the seat I recommend pulling a string when you pull the old seat harness out. Is much easier than trying to fish a snake through after the fact. Ask me how I know that.....
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    With the shocks you slip a flat tip under the band and pop it off. I’m taking a picture of the shock on my trailer but it should be the same concept.
    Ann it's different than your pic. Screw at the top. Just didn't know if it was under stress. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing you two in Deland FL.. Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, Deland, gonna get some 'stuff' done, can't wait. Not far from Lakeland, so I'm good to go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Oh yeah, Deland, gonna get some 'stuff' done, can't wait. Not far from Lakeland, so I'm good to go.
    Hopefully we finally meet up. Tom

Spyder Garage

Newbie here, I received my 2020 RTL today and have been struggling for over an hours trying to get remove the front seat and/or raise the passenger seat. On page 40 of the manual it says to push the two tabs to the rear under the operators seat and pull the seat forward and then unplug the heated connector for removal. I am pushing the tabs and pulling but to no avail. I also can't see the shock referred to in this thread and/or a way to access it. Any help or pictures would be appreciated. I need to get under that passenger seat to verify the fitment/zip tie recall issue did not apply to my bike. Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

By 'shock', I'm pretty sure they're referring to the gas strut that holds the seat up when re-fuelling - see the pic in post #3

Sorry, but I can't help you any with the rest.... we haven't even SEEN a real 2020 RT here in South Oz yet!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter! I know what it or what one looks like and the pic in post 3 is not a spyder. I unfortunately can't find it! It's probably right in front of me and I'm going to feel even more of an idiot than I already do. I have a call into the dealer. One would think that you could lift the passenger seat without removing the front seat. If there is, I can't find it in the 2020 manual I purchased. Thank again!

Spyder Garage

Point taken giant, but then, gas struts are pretty similar regardless of being on a Spyder or on a Spyder's trailer, and that one in post #3 is pretty much the same as all of them on my 2013 RT & all the later Spyders I've worked on... But like I said, we still haven't even seen a 2020 RT here yet!

I have a vague recollection that somewhere here on the Forum there was a link to a vid of the 2020 seats coming off, but the thorough cursory glance I've been able to manage so far hasn't revealed anything. But hopefully, someone who has a 2020 will chime in soon!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RTL also and all I did was raise the drivers seat up, pushed the two tabs under there, pulled up on the front of the passenger seat to raise the front of it up, and then slid it forward to disengage the back of the passenger seat to remove it.

Spyder Garage

Make sure the rider seat is up. Then push passenger seat back and forth till it releases. Sometimes mine comes up the first try. The rider seat shock is on the left side of the seat. You will get the hang of it. Tom

Spyder Garage

Be careful when replacing the rear seat. Don't press down too hard until you make sure the tabs are in place. If not, you might break the tabs.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Thank you Peter and Tango! I got it by pushing harder on those darn tabs. They are stiff! Once the passenger seat lifted, it provided access to the shock. I didn't have to release the shock at all, but now I know how to access it when I do. Upon examination of the recall issue, I had no issues. There were no zip ties, panels were screwed down, and no real fitment issues. I am disappointed on the fit of the rubber gaskets around the passenger grab bars. They do not sit flush. Again- thanks!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Copper!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by giantjas View Post
    Thank you Peter and Tango! I got it by pushing harder on those darn tabs. They are stiff! Once the passenger seat lifted, it provided access to the shock. I didn't have to release the shock at all, but now I know how to access it when I do. Upon examination of the recall issue, I had no issues. There were no zip ties, panels were screwed down, and no real fitment issues. I am disappointed on the fit of the rubber gaskets around the passenger grab bars. They do not sit flush. Again- thanks!
    That's another recall. My replacement pieces have been put on order. No known delivery as of yet. They will replace the panel under the armrests. Tom

Spyder Garage

Ok does the backrest need to come off first I am release the two tabs but it won’t come out

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benmannino View Post
    Ok does the backrest need to come off first I am release the two tabs but it won’t come out
    On the 2020 RT, yes, the backrest has to be removed first before you remove the seat. Raise you drivers seat. With a flashlight, look under and see the locking pin for your backrest. See the two tabs (blue dots)? That's what releases the locking mechanism. Pull it out about an inch to release the backrest. There are also tabs to release the seat. Look to the right of the blue line. See the tab? There's one to the left also. Those are the tabs that hold the seat in place. Just lightly press in and lift the front corner of the passenger seat. It'll come right off. When replacing it, make sure the tabs are in place before pressing down or you might break the tabs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk