Spyder Garage

Default Brake fault light won't reset?

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting, I have a brake fault light on my 2013 Spyder ST. The problem was a loose brake cable (repaired). Now I can't get the fault to go off. There are no authorized mechanics in my general vicinity. Is there another way to clear it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-26-2020 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Title

Spyder Garage

Are you getting any codes? Look in you owners manual for the code retrieval procedure. If there are no codes and you still have the fault showing and it rides normally, try this procedure:

Brake Warning Reset Procedure
    If you do not have any codes, but still have a brake warning, it is possible the low pressure switch has been activated. There are three switches in the brake circuit. 1. Brake light switch, 2. Hydraulic pressure switch, and 3. Low pressure switch (this is really a limit switch that just senses the pedal has traveled too far). This can be reset by the following procedure.

After a low pressure switch (LPS) problem has
    been solved, it is necessary to clear the occurred
    fault in the VCM as follows:
    1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
    2. Wait 30 seconds.
    3. Turn ignition switch ON.
    4. Press the brake pedal, you should hear two clicks.
    NOTE: The 1st click will come from the brake light
    switch. Continue to strongly press the brake pedal to hear
    a 2nd click. This one will come from the low pressure
    switch. You may not hear the click, just push the pedal real hard.
    5. Turn ignition switch OFF.
    6. Wait 30 seconds.
    7. Turn ignition switch ON.
    8. Validate fault was cleared.
    What caused the condition in the first place? This has happened to me a couple of times. When the parking brake is ON and your foot is on the brake pedal, then you release the parking brake, you will feel the brake pedal go down an additional amount. If it goes down far enough to activate the 3rd switch, that is when you get the brake failure message. Now I'm just careful of the pressure I put on the brake pedal when I release the parking brake. No more problems.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your help, I had the tires replaced and the technician caused the cable to come loose, and when they drove it out of the shop the light came on. They did not have the computer to reset it.

Spyder Garage

I just realized I have been spelling brake wrong.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Chris. Brake fault message is also due to low brake fluid level. Maybe wasn't directly related to your cable issue at all. Coincidence. Just normal maintenance item. Refer to your owners manual. When you look into each of the chambers in your brake fluid reservoir, you'll see the level sensors in the rear of each chamber. There's a white float in the center, surrounded by a white plastic ring. Check and / or add fluid so that the float is level with, or slightly above the white ring. It's hard to go by the marking on the side of the reservoir. Careful. It doesn't take much.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Hey Chris. Brake fault message is also due to low brake fluid level. Maybe wasn't directly related to your cable issue at all. Coincidence. Just normal maintenance item. Refer to your owners manual. When you look into each of the chambers in your brake fluid reservoir, you'll see the level sensors in the rear of each chamber. There's a white float in the center, surrounded by a white plastic ring. Check and / or add fluid so that the float is level with, or slightly above the white ring. It's hard to go by the marking on the side of the reservoir. Careful. It doesn't take much.
    with the above most Brake codesare because of the amount of fluid in the system ( on Spyders it's very sensitive ) ..... a couple of tablespoons could fix it ..... Do Not get it on any painted surface ..... clean immed. if you do ..... after you park your Spyder remove key at leats one foot from the ignition - this allows the computer to reset quicker ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chriswilds View Post
    I just realized I have been spelling brake wrong.
    Fixed it for you Chris; and expanded just a little on your title so that it briefly outlines your problem & will maybe attract more readers, both now & at any time in the future, especially if anyone else ever has the same/a similar problem and does a search looking for a solution.

Hope you get your problem sorted soon, you've already got some good info to work with.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Pull the code so we are not guessing what you have going on. With the key on push the Mode, Set and Turn Signal cancel buttons all at the same time. The active code will come up on the screen.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I am with SpyderAnn01 on this one. Get the code and post it. Someone will then tell you what to look for. By your description. More likely a park brake code instead of a service brake problem.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks Doug,
    Yeah that was one of the first things I thought of. Checked and looks good