Spyder Garage

Default Spyderpops bumpskid install debacle ..

I received my Spyderpops bumpskid kit from Lamonster this past week. Today, I lifted the Spyder, mounted the skid piece, drilled and removed. Upon installing the clip nuts, it was determined that I was shorted (1) clip nut. I did go to the local hardware store and purchased a 1/4-20 SS bolt/ clip nut out of pocket. Cost a $1.20, no big deal. Got the clips installed, lined up and .... the front bolts are too short. I did specify a 2019 F3-S, and my Spyder has a ribbed grill overlay portion up front that requires longer bolts. I did watch a video of another brand bump skid on Slingmods https://www.slingmods.com/can-am-spy...cled?vehicle=1 and noticed their F3 did not have these ribs. Soooo, Hoping all I need are some longer bolts and a metric clip nut. Holes are drilled, so basically no going back. I emailed/cc'd both Spyderpops and Lamonster for a solution
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you remove the factory Bumpskid? I can’t see your photo too well but we have never had any issues installing either Spyderpops or Slingmods bumpskids.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

All you need is longer screws. I had the same problem. I threw all the clip nut backing pieces away and got better ones to put on. The front screws were too short on mine and I put longer screws in it. Paying a few bucks to get good hardware is better than trying to get somebody to send you some. They might send some, I don't know, but why bother when the hardware store is 10 miles away and I can finish it up the same day. Mine been on there for about a year, 10,000 miles now. It is only one certain grill that needs the longer screws. The short screws work on most of them.

It is the front 8 screws that are too short. They are M6 screws and the front ones need to be 1/2 inch longer.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I am guessing you will be hearing from both of the vendors you mentioned.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Did you remove the factory Bumpskid? I can’t see your photo too well but we have never had any issues installing either Spyderpops or Slingmods bumpskids.
    On my 2019 F3-S, the lower ribbed portion is part of the one piece lower grill spoiler.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Not a big deal, just was up on the lift/ drilled and ready to go. I certainly could have gone down and bought the longer SS metric screws, but I just let the bike down and went for a ride on a sunny, 65* day. Supposed to rain Mon-Wed, so I'll likely have the new hardware late week.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

When you put it on, just start the rear screws a couple of threads. Don't tighten any of them until you get all of the screws started and the threads are catching. Then start in the front center tightening a few turns at the time and working back in both directions. The screws in the metal frame members in the back should be the last ones to tighten down. Just keep working from the front to the back going from side to side until they are snug. It don't take much to strip out the clip nuts.

I got a bucket in the shop where I usually throw the hardware that comes with most of the stuff people bring here for me to install. If it looks or feels cheap or it is not the type head I want to use, it goes in the junk hardware bucket. A lot of kits come with the cheapest hardware that is available. Then when somebody stops here and asks if I got some certain size nut or bolt, I take them out to the shop and show them the bucket. They can have it if they can find it. I put a set of nerf bar steps on an F-150 last year and half the hardware was SAE, the other half metric. I threw it all in the bucket and got new hardware.

Spyder Garage

Quite honestly, I was happy with the supplied hardware. Nice stainless socket flat screws and pretty stout clip nuts. Yep, I did do the (2) rear screws first, threaded in enough to keep the plastic plate steady. I started at the front and quickly realized the screws were too short. I'll keep everything loose, as I'll likely need to shimmy it around a bit to get all the screws in place. I use a small awl to line up clip nuts/drilled holes before inserting the screws.. I'll try again hopefully next weekend

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Once you get the longer screws for the front, it will go on easy. The screws are good enough quality, but that doesn't matter if they are too short.

Spyder Garage

All hardware supplied for my install worked well, I put it on 2 days ago. Mine has ribbed underside also, screwed in nice and snug

Spyder Garage

Here it is installed

Spyder Garage

Hmmm... I got (2) 40mm length screws for the rear and (12) 25mm length screws (7/8") for everything else. I know (6) of the front screws weren't long enough to reach clip nuts on the very front. Quit trying after that. Thinking I'll need 40mm's for (6) of the fronts. Yours looks to be a stealth model

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Hmmm... I got (2) 40mm length screws for the rear and (12) 25mm length screws (7/8") for everything else. I know (6) of the front screws weren't long enough to reach clip nuts on the very front. Quit trying after that. Thinking I'll need 40mm's for (6) of the fronts. Yours looks to be a stealth model
    6 long screws might do it. The notes I made when I put mine on say I used 8 long screws.

Mine is 2019 F3-S Special Series.

Spyder Garage

Well ... After a telephone call to Spyderpops today, it has been determined that 2019 and up F3's have SS type grills !! This was unbeknownst to them. After looking at 2018 F3-S grills and SS accessory grills, I can see it. They were helpful. To start, they're sending me some longer screws to attach as drilled. Another option was to dremel/smooth down the (5) ribs. They also offered me the option of sending it back for store credit. Gonna try the longer screws 1st. Might have a touch less reduced ground clearance, but shouldn't be too much of an issue. Dremeling down the back half of the ribs would also be easy enough, but likely would require more drilling as the bump skid piece would be a touch different in placement. I advised them they may need to make fitment notations on 2019 and up F3 models..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Well ... After a telephone call to Spyderpops today, it has been determined that 2019 and up F3's have SS type grills !! This was unbeknownst to them. After looking at 2018 F3-S grills and SS accessory grills, I can see it. They were helpful. To start, they're sending me some longer screws to attach as drilled. Another option was to dremel/smooth down the (5) ribs. They also offered me the option of sending it back for store credit. Gonna try the longer screws 1st. Might have a touch less reduced ground clearance, but shouldn't be too much of an issue. Dremeling down the back half of the ribs would also be easy enough, but likely would require more drilling as the bump skid piece would be a touch different in placement. I advised them they may need to make fitment notations on 2019 and up F3 models..
    Kind of sounds like the ribs could act as wear strips.

Spyder Garage

Yeah .. I think that's their purpose. With the bumpskid on, they'll reduce ground clearance by approx 1/3". Grind them down flat and the whole lower portion will still be protected by the bumpskid plastic.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Got the longer screws in 3 days and got it installed. Their will be about a .3" reduction in ground clearance, so we shall see. If I have more than normal scrapings, I'll likely just ground down the ribs to gain that extra .3" back. We shall see.

2022 RT Sea To Sky