Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CVT belt life

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Jeez Jake, for a second there I thought you were gonna tell us that you DID kill yourself on that motorcycle!!

Glad that's not the case tho!

And I'd still like a 900 ACE Turbo Ryker - or Spyder for that matter!

~~~Thnk you Peter, for being glad I'm alive and not dead<LOL>

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Good restaurants are, of course, nothing but mouth-brothels. There is no point in going to them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled. -Frederic Raphael
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I am now on my 3rd belt. In changing out the 1st 2 belts, the used belts looked in great shape. Accordingly, I decided to change belt once per season. I now have over 15,000 miles on this year's belt. Absolutely no issue so far. I will probably put on 2,000 more miles this season before changing it out.. I'll let you know what the useed belt looks like when I do so.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    I am now on my 3rd belt. In changing out the 1st 2 belts, the used belts looked in great shape. Accordingly, I decided to change belt once per season. I now have over 15,000 miles on this year's belt. Absolutely no issue so far. I will probably put on 2000 more miles this season before changing it out.. I'll let you know what the useed belt looks like when I do so.
    I'll soon be checking and maybe changing my belt, approaching 12,000, 7/'19 purchase. I'm wondering what measurements you are getting on your worn belts. My new belt measures .050 larger than the 1.445 measurement shown in the picture below. With a .050 tolerance, I'm thinking of changing mine if it's in the lower 20% of the tolerance. Of coarse I'll change it sooner if I see questionable wear. Also wondering if the narrower they get, the faster they wear. (kinda doubt it)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I do not have a precise measuring instrument. So, I cannot tell you the width of my belt when replaced.

Spyder Garage

I think you guys will find out that if you don't drive like a fool, and try to smoke the rear tire every time you take off, your belts will hold up better than you think, sort of like the valve adjustment recommendations BRP puts put there! I have had sleds for years and can tell you, be careful using aftermarket belts unless you want to watch your clutch faces close for a while until you have tried a few to see what kind of wear your getting on those faces, some belts are built with harder compounds, hence the wear!

Some would say that with a new belt you should put it thru some heat cycles, starts should be soft, and be easy on the right hand for the first 200 miles!! Does it make a difference, some times I think so, but there are a few things that play into that, like belt alignment, and tension! Yes guys, even the cvt set up has tension also, anyone with a sled will tell you that!

The hard part of running the Ryker till the belt starts to act up is that most likely you may be sitting beside the road looking for a ride, because when they go, some slip, some get flat spots, and feels like a flat tire and some blow up and leave you hands full of little rubber nubs and cords!!! So, like a friend of mine once said, never deprive yourself for learning things the hard way!!

Can you go more than 12000 miles on a belt , maybe so, but if you are not the kind of person that wants to check it out every now and then, and like burning tires, maybe you should just do it!! Good luck !!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2021 at 05:56 PM. Reason: recordation's = recommendations ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I think you guys will find out that if you don't drive like a fool, and try to smoke the rear tire every time you take off, your belts will hold up better than you think, sort of like the valve adjustment recommendations BRP puts put there! I have had sleds for years and can tell you, be careful using aftermarket belts unless you want to watch your clutch faces close for a while until you have tried a few to see what kind of wear your getting on those faces, some belts are built with harder compounds, hence the wear!

Some would say that with a new belt you should put it thru some heat cycles, starts should be soft, and be easy on the right hand for the first 200 miles!! Does it make a difference, some times I think so, but there are a few things that play into that, like belt alignment, and tension! Yes guys, even the cvt set up has tension also, anyone with a sled will tell you that!

The hard part of running the Ryker till the belt starts to act up is that most likely you may be sitting beside the road looking for a ride, because when they go, some slip, some get flat spots, and feels like a flat tire and some blow up and leave you hands full of little rubber nubs and cords!!! So, like a friend of mine once said, never deprive yourself for learning things the hard way!!

Can you go more than 12000 miles on a belt , maybe so, but if you are not the kind of person that wants to check it out every now and then, and like burning tires, maybe you should just do it!! Good luck !!
    No YouTube style burnouts here, maybe about 7 short "chirps" in 12,000 miles. I mostly just cruise county roads. My Garmin shows about 35 mph avg. when I'm back home. Ya, I pick it up to 60 mph every so often. I bought an original BRP belt. I'll lift the clam up and turn on the tunes on a nice(?)rainy weekend. Just gotta remember to stop topping off the fuel tank. I use to work as a mechanical QC inspector, so I'll be quite critical while checking the belt. When I "hammer" it's when I'm on my Cervelo bike. Then I relax while on the Rally. I'm 69 years old.

Spyder Garage

I now have 3 miles till 12,000 So I find out if its by mileage soon!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!