Thread: air damper

Spyder Garage

Default air damper

Ok guys i got a 2014 rt the air damper is leaking at the bottom I read that some have put slime in to stop the leak i would just have it replaced but the dealership said it would be mid June before they can look at it and get one in i have look on line about ordering one but not sure what all i getting into so that all say i wondering if the slime will hurt anything or not if i try this i know the right thing is to put a new one on but i also want to ride Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcvay 10 View Post
    Ok guys i got a 2014 rt the air damper is leaking at the bottom I read that some have put slime in to stop the leak i would just have it replaced but the dealership said it would be mid June before they can look at it and get one in i have look on line about ordering one but not sure what all i getting into so that all say i wondering if the slime will hurt anything or not if i try this i know the right thing is to put a new one on but i also want to ride Thanks
    I don't think slime is meant to be a permanent repair ..... I know others arn't ( from their label ) ..... I had a leak , but it was in the schader valve connection .... how do you know the rubber bag is leaking ???? ..... Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Green Slime stuff is not new, I owned a tire and auto service and repair center in Concord & Antioch California
    I can tell you the injectable through the valve stem type sealers are the tire stores best friend, they render the tire
    unrepairable they coat the inside with a gooy mass of goo that is super hard to remove so kiss off patching it.
    If it does that to tires can you imagine what it is doing to the air lines and air bag on you Spyder.... bite the
    bullet and and replace the unit, but first make sure it is not something simple like the valve.

Quote Originally Posted by mcvay 10 View Post

Spyder Garage

I need a little help here for my 2014 RT-S. The air damper does not hold air when filled manually and I'm not sure if there is a compressor or if it is running if present.
    I'm going to be replacing the rear shock with an Elka from Lamonster..Do I still need to have the damper operational with the new shock? I saw a review on Lamonster by a guy that just left his air damper disabled after installing the new shock. I don't mind saving $200 -$300 to leave it as is, but don't want to be open to doing damage to that $600+ new shock.

Anyone out there have any experience with this?
    That's all folks !
    2014 RT-S , This will be the first thing I do for it. Yellow

Spyder Garage

If your new shock/coil has been spec'ed to do the job without the air-bag, then you won't have any problems!

It's just that the OE Shock/coil & many replacements expect the air bag to be there helping (a little bit!) to maintain the ride height, & if it's not there &/or working, you can end up ryding with the seat base/mudguard scrubbing on the top of the tire!! Do you really need to ask me how I know this??

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!