Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better tires

Spyder Garage

I may have to agree with all the Kenda haters at a later time. But as right now with only 3500 miles on mine, and not doing burnouts, not riding two up, not doing figure 8's, and not trying to hit 107mph, as of this moment in time I'm happy with my Kenda tires. The hate may be earned at a later time. Maybe by then there will be more choices of brands out there. Maybe I'll switch not because of hate but just to try something different.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Upon moving to AR in 2019, I changed over to darkside tires on both of the Spyders. One has since been traded off on my new 19 F3L. The 2014 looks good after about 6K on the current ones.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the improved handling after going dark?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the improved handling after going dark?
    That is actually a difficult question for me. I have had no handling problems with the Kendas. I do not feel the darkside tires are that much better as far as handling is concerned. Where they are supposed to shine is in the longer mileage per tire. That remains to be seen for us. 6K and counting so far. For me, I would say the same for handling at this time.

I will also add, both of us are conservative riders. We obey the speed limits, don't do burn outs, donuts, or anything like that.

Linda says I drive more aggressive than she does...but I don't think so.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-27-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Haven't really had a chance to put my tires thru serious paces as of yet. That said, my winter addition of Vred Q5 fronts/Cooper Ultra touring rear has GREATLY improved my ride quality and steering input. Well worth the $$.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, I appreciate the candor. Yesterday, I rode an extremely twisty road (more so than Tail of the Dragon) at my limits. Mind you, my limits increase with each ride like this. My F3L still has the original tires and swaybar and I have no complaints re the handling. There was no slippage or squealing. They have 15# front / 25# rear. With more experience, maybe my limits will exceed the bike's and then what I glean from these chats will help me make a good choice.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the candor. Yesterday, I rode an extremely twisty road (more so than Tail of the Dragon) at my limits. Mind you, my limits increase with each ride like this. My F3L still has the original tires and swaybar and I have no complaints re the handling. There was no slippage or squealing. They have 15# front / 25# rear. With more experience, maybe my limits will exceed the bike's and then what I glean from these chats will help me make a good choice.
    I recently purchased a new `19 F3L. It of course came with OEM Kendas. Compared to the 14 RT, the F3 feels like it is glued to the ground. I can do the twisties faster on the F3 than I would on the RT. I like the handling better on the F3 compared to the RT.

We have some real twisties here. I found a "Hana Highway" (Maui HI) type road. Climbs a thousand feet, and has hairpin curves the whole 10 miles or so. Posted "no trucks/impassible." The hairpins go down to 10 mph and they mean it. We did it going up the first time. Going to try the down route next time. At the slower speeds, no handling issues with either set of tires.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I recently purchased a new `19 F3L. It of course came with OEM Kendas. Compared to the 14 RT, the F3 feels like it is glued to the ground. I can do the twisties faster on the F3 than I would on the RT. I like the handling better on the F3 compared to the RT.

We have some real twisties here. I found a "Hana Highway" (Maui HI) type road. Climbs a thousand feet, and has hairpin curves the whole 10 miles or so. Posted "no trucks/impassible." The hairpins go down to 10 mph and they mean it. We did it going up the first time. Going to try the down route next time. At the slower speeds, no handling issues with either set of tires.
    I don't think you can really compare types / brands of tires using Two very different machines. It is well known the F-3 is going to perform better because less weight, lower CG, and probably better aerodynamics...... You could put the worst tires ever made on a Porsche and the best ever made on a Pinto .... what do you think would be the outcome ...... jsut sayin .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I am using my many miles experience with the product and my "feel" with the machine as I drive it.

Not perfect, since I am not a certified tire tester, seller, or engineer. I have over 30K miles on that 2014 and now 5K miles on the 2019.

I have ridden the 2014 both with the Kendas, and the darkside tires. IMO, that experience, as said before, not much difference.

And yes, the RT and the F3 are bananas and oranges. Both great rides, but slightly different in the ride as perceived by me.

No arguments, but I felt your question needed to be answered.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-27-2020 at 03:36 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I agree with oregoncoast. The Kendas on my Ryker are just fine. They are not babied either.

Spyder Garage

Mine too. Seems like most posts on this subject have nothing to do with Rykers. I don't know why they persist, don't they have their own forum? 6300 miles, 900 ACE, love it, tires and all!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    I might be the only one here who likes my Kenda tires, but I still wish there were options. Mine have taking many real beatings with pot holes and bad roads. Lots of rain, they don't have much ware after 15,000 miles and are wearing even. I don't see any facts here other than hear-say. No first hand data.
    My bike is box stock, except for a RLS cat delete. I just rode Hwy. 47 to twisty Hwy. 202 to Astoria and I have no complaints regarding the OEM Kendas. I'm fairly new to Spydering and will put many more miles on before doing tire / suspension mods. I will first try car tires and see how that works. Then put a lot of miles on them and decide if I want to install a Bajaron swaybar. I prolly will. Another good testing ground is Hwy. 53.