Spyder Garage

Default 2019 Spyder RT-L Backrest recommendations

Looking for a backrest for my 2019 RT-L. Many to choose from and not sure which way to go. OEM, or aftermarket? Any personal experience shared would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Scott

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Utopia

Spyder Garage

For me I went with the OEM because it matched the seat. Make sure you get the adjustable driver backrest as some earlier versions weren't and sometimes didn't fit well. The adjustment is an Allen screw used as a stop, and can be accessed by tilting it forward. Looking at the OEM, if you are even slightly handy with tools you can install it pretty easily yourself and save the labor charges.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Utopia
    .... I have put one on every touring bike I have ever owned .... they are the most adjustable ( can be tilted and wedged to work as a Lumbar support ) .... thinnest ( good for carrying a pass. ) and waaaaaaaay less expensive than OEM .... check their web site for your model ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree with h0gr1der, wanted to match my Comfort Seat; is simple DIY. I've found that on long touring days I am very fresh at the end of ride, significantly attributable to the backrest.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Utopia seat inbound, due any day. They can match the two-tone, gray/black stock seat on my RT-S. The OEM seatback is just plain black.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... I have put one on every touring bike I have ever owned .... they are the most adjustable ( can be tilted and wedged to work as a Lumbar support ) .... thinnest ( good for carrying a pass. ) and waaaaaaaay less expensive than OEM .... check their web site for your model ...... Mike

About the passenger, with the OEM one room is cramped for the rear rider. Might be worth looking at the Utopia for that very reason.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

In my experience the OEM backrest and Comfort Seat cramp the passenger only if he/she is circumferentially challenged.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    In my experience the OEM backrest and Comfort Seat cramp the passenger only if he/she is circumferentially challenged.
    Hey! Watch how you talk about my old lady...
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

I Slsplets

Buy a Utopia, you are not mistaken.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the great advice! Keep it coming...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slsplets View Post
    Looking for a backrest for my 2019 RT-L. Many to choose from and not sure which way to go. OEM, or aftermarket? Any personal experience shared would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Scott
    What seat do you have, stock or comfort? There are a couple BRP backrest for sale in the for sale section.

Spyder Garage

Remember, the mounting systems for the OEM and Comfort seats are different and not interchangeable but the backrest is the same.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Exactly why I ask the question about which seat he has. I found that out the hard way by trying a stock seat vs comfort. Comfort seat and Utopia won out. Selling BRP backrest and stock seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
    What seat do you have, stock or comfort? There are a couple BRP backrest for sale in the for sale section.
    Stock seat here. Thinking I should try a different seat all together. There are too many to choose from. Seems the comfort seat is the least $$$$ option. I am 6"2 and 255 lbs. Wish I knew someone close by that has one to try before pulling the trigger on one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stock seat here. Thinking I should try a different seat all together. There are too many to choose from. Seems the comfort seat is the least $$$$ option. I am 6"2 and 255 lbs. Wish I knew someone close by that has one to try before pulling the trigger on one.
    Your a big guy and I think you'd really like the fit if you were moved back the 2" offered with the comfort seat...But saying that you also need to look out for the size of your passenger...Like you said "best try several before pulling the trigger" WOULD BE A VERY SMART MOVE...

Spyder Garage

Just spent some time on the Corbin site. Pretty sweet looking seats!

Spyder Garage

When I bought my Spyder, at assembly I added the Comfort Seat and Tri-Axis handlebars because I wanted more room for my legs and I gambled that it would be the least expensive cost risk that my butt would like. I was lucky that it fit me perfectly and is supremely comfortable for me. Some folks claim that the Comfort Seat, because it moves you back about 2" can cramp the passenger. See my post #8 regarding that issue. The pictures below show how BRP configures the passenger portion of the Comfort Seat. The seat on the left is the OEM seat and the one on the right is the Comfort Seat. You can see how the triangle area where the Comfort Seat has the backrest mount hole is configured different from the OEM Seat. You might consider a separate post hereon looking for an owner with a Comfort Seat. A couple of months ago I met a new Spyder owner at a dealership about an hour's ride away so he could test sit my Comfort Seat, and he immediately went into the parts dept and ordered one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cognac 2014 RT-S