Spyder Garage

Default Spyderpops Air Management System

Haven't pulled the panel over the radiator yet, but it's not readily apparent how the system should be installed. Anyone have pics?

Spyder Garage

OK, it became abundantly clear when I removed the right panel covering the radiator. Although where it should go was clear, dry fitting and installation was extremely difficult because the material is very stiff (my stickiest duct tape could not hold it onto the factory air shoot). Since I didn't have a rivet gun, I used screws/lock washers/nuts instead of the provided rivets. I had to drill a couple of holes in addition to the predrilled ones because it wouldn't overlap the air shoot. Then, I simply installed it bit-by-bit, screw-by-screw, hoping that it would fit ok once I was done. Final product closed off all the spaces from the radiator leading back to my right leg except for above the top radiator hose. I don't know if hot air can even get by there but I stuffed some foam rubber in there anyway. Total time was about three hours but I took my time. Haven't tried it out yet. Will follow-up in a couple of days.

Air.jpg

Spyder Garage

OK, finally did a test run. The air management system and the missing air dam have resolved my hot right leg problem and lowered my temp gauge one bar in traffic and two bars on the freeway. BTW, I simply removed the floorboard on the right side as recommended elsewhere in this forum, rather than cutting/installing a small vent that came with the kit. Highly recommend, even though it's pricey for what you get.

Spyder Garage

I hope you're not worried too much about getting responses and feedback in this thread Phil.

While it might LOOK like you're talking to yourself a bit here, I can assure you that there are a fair few people out there who are interested and watching; many of them owners of Spyders similar to yours that didn't get any of these Heat &/or Air Management Systems installed during the 'peak period' of concern about it. Now that models like yours aren't being sold new any more, it has clearly lessened the obvious interest, but most of those machines are still out there and a fairly large percentage of them aren't yet equipped - maybe because they're only ridden in climates where the excess of heat isn't a major concern, or maybe it's just because they simply aren't been ridden enough - yet!

But I strongly suspect the time will come when most of their current or new owners do consider doing something about the Dragon's Mouth that's blasting high temp air onto their right foot &/or leg; and when that happens, this thread will be a God-send for them all! So thanks for taking the time & effort to keep us informed of your progress; it IS appreciated, despite the lack of comment/feedback, and I believe it will be appreciated even more in the years to come!

Cheers!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have installed the same kit on my Spyder and have nothing but good to say about it. I did not, however, install the scoop nor did I remove the bottom panel which does not appear to make the bike run hotter. Despite that and riding in hot (and humid) temps, the kit has improved the riding experience. Welcome to the forum, by the way!
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Peter and Web Runner, Thanks for the kind words. I got my first Spyder with only about 400 miles on it but it had sat largely unused for many years. Lot's of cleaning up and problem solving, especially because there's no authorized dealer here. New experience, new excitement, new fun. This is a great forum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phily View Post
    haven't pulled the panel over the radiator yet, but it's not readily apparent how the system should be installed. Anyone have pics?
    the "air management system" 2008-2012 gs/rs/rss only
    spyderpops
    sku: Spy104
    $58.00
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting this! I too am debating on the installation of all 3 of the products for relieving the hot air blast onto my right leg, and for lowering the driving temp.
    2011 RSS SE5
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black

Spyder Garage

Totally worth the money. I installed the set on my 2008 GS and it made a huge difference. Love it.