Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spring in throttle housing

I just changed handlebars on my 2020 RT - easy and successful, except that my throttle no longer returns to the full idle position. When I release it, the bike idles at around 1200-1300 RPM. I can force it to idle position, but it snaps back to around 1250 RPM when I release the throttle.

I took the end off of the handlebars and removed the spring inside. I lubricated the spring and the plastic sheath that goes inside the spring and I put it back together. No effect.

I assumed the spring was to return the throttle to "home" position, but if I leave the spring out it works fine. I have two questions:
    • What is the purpose of the spring?
    • What harm am I doing to ride with it removed?
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

The purpose of the spring is to return the throttle to the idle or "home" position. It's there for your safety.
    The only harm you may be doing is to your risk assessment if you have an emergency.

You don't have the spring properly installed. PM teninospyder and ask him how he solved his problem. He just recently corrected it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The purpose of the spring is to return the throttle to the idle or "home" position. It's there for your safety.
    The only harm you may be doing is to your risk assessment if you have an emergency.

You don't have the spring properly installed. PM teninospyder and ask him how he solved his problem. He just recently corrected it.
    ... I had a few talks with him about this issue .... on my 14 RT Ifelt the throttle tension was annoyingly strong .... so I removed that spring .... I discovered that the torque on the end bolt for the grip needed to set carefully ..... to prevent it loosening by itself, I put houshold white glue on the threads ..... that will keep it set where you want it to stay ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I also thought the throttle operation was annoying. I removed the spring from the bar end, seems there is another spring as the grip will return firmly when released. Made a huge difference in ease of use especially when trying to engage the cruise and hold the throttle position.

Spring.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Spring in throttle housing

What Mike said!
    Last edited by GoldenSpyder; 07-31-2021 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Put in wrong place in thread
    2014 RT-S SM6 , Circuit Yellow