Thread: Tire changers

Spyder Garage

Default Tire changers

Wondering for the future. Does anyone use a Harbor Freight tire changer? What needs to come off of the rear rim to put it on a changer? I know the belt sprocket comes off, but what about the center hole. Will that type changer be small enough diameter to slide over that type changer, or do we need one that "grabs" the rim from underneath.
    I don't think those type changers would be small enough diameter unless you would pull the wheel bearings.
    Not ready for tires yet but like to do my own maintenance.

Spyder Garage

hi quarter
    i made my own changer
    as you mention,grabbing the rim is critical to stop rotation.....to this end,i removed the disc,and fitted studs to the mounting holes
    i used the disc as a template for the stud receiver holes
    i have a threaded rod passing thru the bearings and slide a tube over this....a nut hods it all down
    its mounted to 50x50 mm rhs or box tube which fits to my towbar so i can remove the whole thing
    i bought a No-mar Bar and this works extremely well...MUST use liberal amounts of No-mar grease or similar

i must admit i struggled with removing the tyre but as it was a wip at the time,i expect subsequent removals to be much easier
    i have several rears with different amounts of wear,and live 1hr from the tyre shop....but also i dont feel good asking the shop to swap tyres when i didnt buy from them

working on a better bead breaker now

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quartermain View Post
    Wondering for the future. Does anyone use a Harbor Freight tire changer? What needs to come off of the rear rim to put it on a changer? I know the belt sprocket comes off, but what about the center hole. Will that type changer be small enough diameter to slide over that type changer, or do we need one that "grabs" the rim from underneath.
    I don't think those type changers would be small enough diameter unless you would pull the wheel bearings.
    Not ready for tires yet but like to do my own maintenance.
    I'm not financially wealthy enough to buy an automated changer so I made do with what was available. After much research I bought the Cycle Hill HD. It is the lowest priced one they had. All of them have flaws, but I've read you have to really re-engineer the Harbor Freight one. On the Cycle Hill model you have to install the larger rim clamps to fit the Spyder rim lips, and also when levering the tire on or off you have to stop the rim from spinning in the plastic clamps. You can not clamp it hard enough to stop the rim from spinning without damaging something. I used a ratchet strap and it worked OK. Considering this is a job done (at most for me) every 2 years or so, not too onerous to bear. The Cycle Hill and No Mar products are also made in the USA. I drilled the mounting bolts into my shed concrete, set with the hammer in threaded inserts, so when not in use I can fill the holes with rounded head Allen screws and stow the machine.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I'm not financially wealthy enough to buy an automated changer so I made do with what was available. After much research I bought the Cycle Hill HD. It is the lowest priced one they had. All of them have flaws, but I've read you have to really re-engineer the Harbor Freight one.
    I have the Harbor Freight tire changer with the motorcycle wheel attachment and you hit the nail right on the head. Mine works great now but I definitely did some re-engineering.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s