Spyder Garage

Question Where has my coolant gone?

2015 RT 8600 miles while changing oil last night I checked coolant levels, using a wire dipstick to check and it was next to empty...never leaks on the floor, oil was very clean and doesn’t smoke white.......has always ran in the normal temp range both analog and digital, rarely do you hear the fans run.......baffled by this....thoughts???

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    2015 RT 8600 miles while changing oil last night I checked coolant levels, using a wire dipstick to check and it was next to empty...never leaks on the floor, oil was very clean and doesn’t smoke white.......has always ran in the normal temp range both analog and digital, rarely do you hear the fans run.......baffled by this....thoughts???
    Hopefully it was full when it was delivered .... but from other posts I have read .... the system should be sealed so it pressurizes ..... if the cap wasn't completely sealing, over time some fluid will be forced out ..... another common issue is the tanks develop tiny cracks , also allowing fluid to escape ..... sometimes the hoses develope leaks at the connections via the clamps ..... the fourth possibility ( although remote ) is a failing head gasket ...... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    Mine turned out to be a failing water pump, but it left evidence in the form or reddish drops all over one of the mesh panels and inside on the engine/frame on that side, along with a coolant smell. If you don't have any of that, and haven't checked the level regularly, I would suspect it going out the cap and onto the ground via the overflow hose while you were riding.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

This might sound bad, but I didn't ever even checked my coolant the first summer I had mine (bought it brand new) I thought it was safe to assume that it had been filled prior to delivery. Low and behold, the next spring I had all the panels off for a looksie, and sure enough, I found the reservoir only about 1/4 full. Like you, I never had any indication of it getting hot. Not to be a smart arse, but as asked, are you sure it was full to begin with?
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Coolant

All good Tips. I had my Spyder leaking at the water pump. There were signs of coolant leaking. So if no signs, my first Tip would be Fill Coolant Tank to the Correct level. Then do a 20 mile Ryde and see if coolant signs are present. Moving forward I would check the Coolant Level before and after every Ryde for a month or so.
    Good Luck on Your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    This might sound bad, but I didn't ever even checked my coolant the first summer I had mine (bought it brand new) I thought it was safe to assume that it had been filled prior to delivery. Low and behold, the next spring I had all the panels off for a looksie, and sure enough, I found the reservoir only about 1/4 full. Like you, I never had any indication of it getting hot. Not to be a smart arse, but as asked, are you sure it was full to begin with?

One of my original problems was my Spyder new was turned over to me with low coolant. Remember, a lot of setup guys are not paid well and are the low man in the chain, so their give a hoot may also be low. Another thing wrong with my brand new Spyder was the rear shock absorber was missing the centering spacers on the bottom bolt from the dealer. Of course they said it came from the factory that way. Some Spyder QC is pretty poor on certain models.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post

One of my original problems was my Spyder new was turned over to me with low coolant. Remember, a lot of setup guys are not paid well and are the low man in the chain, so their give a hoot may also be low. Another thing wrong with my brand new Spyder was the rear shock absorber was missing the centering spacers on the bottom bolt from the dealer. Of course they said it came from the factory that way. Some Spyder QC is pretty poor on certain models.

The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.