Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drive belt

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    Are you saying that the spyder belts should easily get 250,000 miles before replacement?
    Quote " I think 250,000 mi. is possible " ..... ( with proper maintenance ) ..... I didn't use the " should " or " easily " ..... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Just to switch us the conversation a bit. I doubt many people will be putting 120K miles on their Ryker before selling for something else. With the amount of time I have and the seasonal riding I do it would take me about 3 years to put 12K miles on. I've had my Spyder for 7 years and it has about 24,000 miles. So, Id guess the average owner would put 1-3 belts on their Ryker during their time of ownership. That's between $300-$600 to replace the belt over ownership of the bike. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Sure some people live in states where the riding season is longer and some people have more time to ride. This might mean they ride more miles and have to buy belts more often. It's a wear item like brakes, tires, filters, oil, etc. Toys cost money.
    Rob just about everything costs money ...... my point was, how much you are willing to spend .... folks who buy very high end veh's., usually do it knowing even the routine maintenance costs are going to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay above average. The buyers who don't know this are well D***, or they in the financial category where $$$$$$ is of no concern when making a purchase. ...... I seriously doubt any salesperson is going to make a point of telling any potential buyers how much the Drive belts are going to cost them ..... I doubt any Ryker buyers had any idea of the cost of these belts and frequency of re-placement. ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Rob just about everything costs money ...... my point was, how much you are willing to spend .... folks who buy very high end veh's., usually do it knowing even the routine maintenance costs are going to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay above average. The buyers who don't know this are well D***, or they in the financial category where $$$$$$ is of no concern when making a purchase. ...... I seriously doubt any salesperson is going to make a point of telling any potential buyers how much the Drive belts are going to cost them ..... I doubt any Ryker buyers had any idea of the cost of these belts and frequency of re-placement. ..... Mike
    I dont know the avarage milage/year, but my guess would be that most people who drive their Rykers do so recreationally on weekends etc. So the 12000 miles on avarage would last how long? 3-4 years maybe?
    Again, this is my personal opinion, but the belt cost/year really does not seem like a big deal. And the Ryker total cost of ownership/year is really not that bad.
    One has to remember, Spyders AND Rykers are premium segment recreational vehicles, people pay fairly high price compared to 2 Wheel bikes, or even budget segment cars. If extremely low cost vechicle and minimum maintainence is the TOP PRIORITY, I'd say any CAN AM 3 Wheeler is a bad idea.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The use, function and stresses of a Motorcycle drive belt are as different of the stresses, function and use of a belt drive CVT as night and day. No comparisons at all other than being used in the drive systems.

Secondly, good grief use the available aftermarket CVT belts at way less than half price.

Thirdly, 12,000 miles between replacement is extremely conservative.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I'm no where close to needing to change my CVT belt. Is there a video or a PDF file on "getting to" the belt on the Ryker. I'm more concerned with that right now, than the mileage. I most often just cruise around on the county roads. I'm always torn between riding the Ryker or riding my bicycle, love doing both. But 80 miles yesterday on Ryker. (no, I'm not that guy you saw riding his bike on the wrong side of road, handlebars upside down, blue jeans on, no helmet, at dusk with no lights on, riding one handed with a 12 pack under is arm....HA)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    I'm no where close to needing to change my CVT belt. Is there a video or a PDF file on "getting to" the belt on the Ryker. I'm more concerned with that right now, than the mileage. I most often just cruise around on the county roads. I'm always torn between riding the Ryker or riding my bicycle, love doing both. But 80 miles yesterday on Ryker. (no, I'm not that guy you saw riding his bike on the wrong side of road, handlebars upside down, blue jeans on, no helmet, at dusk with no lights on, riding one handed with a 12 pack under is arm....HA)

https://brpmanuals.com/canam-spyder-manual.htm

There is some Ryker Manuals available on the website.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver