Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive belt

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Drive belt

I just read in another thread about the " drive belt " the one that BRP says should be re-placed at 12,000 mi..... I looked at some parts Fiche's and am curious if this is part 417300531 ..... they identify it as being a " V-belt " ( it doesn't look like a V belt ) ..... the price is listed at $ 220.00 ....... So is this the " drive belt " ???? ..... thanks ..... Mike .....This is for the 900 engine ..... the 600 has part 422289654 @ $ 135.00

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, that's the drive belt. Transfers power between the primary and secondary clutches. Part # for the Rally is 417300571

Belt life varies based on a bunch of things. I was actually surprised the change interval is 12K miles. I thought it would be sooner.

On a snowmobile the belt is easily accessible and can be inspected and changed quickly. On the Ryker and ATV's that's not the case. Its totally enclosed in a plastic housing and just getting to the housing and then removing it is too much work There should be a method of quick easy inspection but I don't believe that's the case.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Yes, that's the drive belt. Transfers power between the primary and secondary clutches. Part # for the Rally is 417300571

Belt life varies based on a bunch of things. I was actually surprised the change interval is 12K miles. I thought it would be sooner.

On a snowmobile the belt is easily accessible and can be inspected and changed quickly. On the Ryker and ATV's that's not the case. Its totally enclosed in a plastic housing and just getting to the housing and then removing it is too much work There should be a method of quick easy inspection but I don't believe that's the case.
    Thanks Rob, the Rally belt is the same as the " 900 " model .... so that's a $220.00 part .... IF you can DIY it !!!! .... If it actually needs re-placement every 12,000 mi. over say 120,000 mi. the DIY cost is $ 2200.00 ..... For this reason alone I won't even consider getting a Ryker ( and I could DIY it !! ) ...... Mike ..... PS, the RT & F-3 drive belts cost appro. $ 350.00 , however with proper maintenance, I think 250,000 mi.is possible...... to me this is real deal breaker

Spyder Garage

It is a V- shaped belt, but it is not the common v-belt you find on the fans, power steering pumps, or lawn mowers. CVT gearboxes have been used for decades in industrial blower and pump drive applications. This video will help explain what the CVT belt does.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could probably find it cheaper if you shop around a bit but it will still be fairly expensive. You can also buy 3rd party, for example Dayco or Gates. They are usually cheaper.....just not OEM.

Spyder Garage

You could probably find it cheaper if you shop around a bit but it will still be fairly expensive. You can also buy 3rd party, for example Dayco or Gates. They are usually cheaper.....just not OEM.
    Thanks ..... but I have a strong feeling that even tho the belt might be made by Dayco or Gates you won't find the same size available to the general public .... I discovered waaaaaaay back when trying to re-place my Sears snow-blower belts ( which were hughly expensive ) that no other belt maker had the same size for sale ...... just a thought ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've discovered that Napa can meet specs on supposed proprietary drive belts on almost any machine. I've replace belts on two machines through Napa that were supposed to be brand exclusive. It's hard for me to believe a manufacturer would design a product around an exclusive part (drive belt). Now, when it comes to cost, that a different story entirely.

Spyder Garage

thats not so easy, ( the dealers can make a realistic price for it), but on my Spyders a little stone was able to ruin the belt and some others parts .. that was much more expensive !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I've discovered that Napa can meet specs on supposed proprietary drive belts on almost any machine. I've replace belts on two machines through Napa that were supposed to be brand exclusive. It's hard for me to believe a manufacturer would design a product around an exclusive part (drive belt). Now, when it comes to cost, that a different story entirely.
    Well as an example, take the KENDA Spyder tires ..... you can only BUY them from a BRP dealer ..... I recall " superspyderman " who is or works at a tire dealership tried to get them and couldn't...... I looked for a Gates re-placement belt for my Cub Cadet Lawn tractor they didn't list the same size, so I bought one that was one inch smaller and it worked ....but the belt is about 72 inches, so one inch difference didn't matter. the sears belt was only about 14 in. so one inch did matter ..... just sayin ..... thanks .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Snowmobile (ryker) belts are commonly manufactured by 3rd parties to fit various sizes. Quick search A Dayco XTX5034 belt that matches the BRP 571 is about $90. The Ultimax XS851 belt matches the BRP 571 is about $90

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well as an example, take the KENDA Spyder tires ..... you can only BUY them from a BRP dealer ..... I recall " superspyderman " who is or works at a tire dealership tried to get them and couldn't...... I looked for a Gates re-placement belt for my Cub Cadet Lawn tractor they didn't list the same size, so I bought one that was one inch smaller and it worked ....but the belt is about 72 inches, so one inch difference didn't matter. the sears belt was only about 14 in. so one inch did matter ..... just sayin ..... thanks .... Mike
    I've had to grind out adjusting slots and change bolts to make belts function properly also. Kenda's web site doesn't even list a tire for a can am or a spyder or even a brp atv. What's with that?

Spyder Garage

I've had to grind out adjusting slots and change bolts to make belts function properly also. Kenda's web site doesn't even list a tire for a can am or a spyder or even a brp atv. What's with that?
    Because Kenda and BRP are sleeping partners. Kenda will only distribute Spyder tires to BRP dealers. Then the dealers (most of them) will jack the price and deliver all kinds of falsehoods to unsuspecting customers. But that's a whole other issue. I liked the demonstration of a CVT that Gwolf provided. There were other trailing videos attached to his that were enlightening also. At one time I was considering buying a Nissan Murano that has CVT transmissions. After researching I decided not to buy one. I found that most shops will simply REPLACE a transmission rather than repair regardless of what is wrong with it. There were a lot of horror stories from customer reviews.
    I've had a CanAm Commander and a CanAm Outlander that both had CVTs. I never had any problems with either vehicle after several thousand very hard miles. Over the years of off-road riding with many others, I saw only one belt failure on the trail and that was on a Polaris that blew a belt while doing 75+ MPH. These drive belts are tough. I personally think changing every 12,000 miles is overkill. But time and experience will shed light on the subject...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I've stated this before .... BRP 's deal with Kenda Tire corp. includes a Restriction about who can get the Spyder tires. .... it was part of their financial agreement with the Kenda Corp. .... I've read this on the sidewall of Kenda Spyder tires " this tire REQUIRES it to be mounted on a " J " designated wheel " !!!! .... So the Spyder wheels MUST be " J " type wheels ..... with few exceptions, Auto wheels are " J " type wheels. .... So BRP's claim about the Kenda tires on Spyders is pure " HOOEY ". .... To further confuse this issue is another Kenda requirement that " this tire is for Special Motorcycle use Only " .... Kenda CAN'T Legally claim they are " MOTORCYCLE " tires, because that would run afoul of FED. D.O.T. regs. Why BRP is allowed to dance around all this is beyond belief. ...... good luck .... PS, BRP doesn't actually MAKE those Ryker drive belts ..... one of the major Belt manufacture's does .... This belt topic was brought up a long time ago for the GS - RS - RT drive belts ..... No one found out who actually made the belts, not did they find any manufacturer who had the size needed ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've stated this before .... BRP 's deal with Kenda Tire corp. includes a Restriction about who can get the Spyder tires. .... it was part of their financial agreement with the Kenda Corp. .... I've read this on the sidewall of Kenda Spyder tires " this tire REQUIRES it to be mounted on a " J " designated wheel " !!!! .... So the Spyder wheels MUST be " J " type wheels ..... with few exceptions, Auto wheels are " J " type wheels. .... So BRP's claim about the Kenda tires on Spyders is pure " HOOEY ". .... To further confuse this issue is another Kenda requirement that " this tire is for Special Motorcycle use Only " .... Kenda CAN'T Legally claim they are " MOTORCYCLE " tires, because that would run afoul of FED. D.O.T. regs. Why BRP is allowed to dance around all this is beyond belief. ...... good luck .... PS, BRP doesn't actually MAKE those Ryker drive belts ..... one of the major Belt manufacture's does .... This belt topic was brought up a long time ago for the GS - RS - RT drive belts ..... No one found out who actually made the belts, not did they find any manufacturer who had the size needed ...... Mike
    Right, none of the PowerSports (Polaris, Cat, Ski-doo, Yamaha) make their own drive belts. Why would they. They also don't make their own tracks, boggie wheels, hyfax slides, ski wear bars, nuts, bolts, shocks, springs, clutches, etc......They buy it from vendors. Lots of these sleds, ATV's and now Rykers use the same size drive belt and that's true across brands. I guess I don't see the issue here. In about 5 minutes I found 2 3rd party belts that will fit the Ryker (and any Ski-doo with an 850 e-tec, 600 e-tec, 900Ace, and 900Ace Turbo engine....didn't check the ATV's but I'd bet some of them also use the same belt) If you want a BRP drive belt spend the $200+ and buy one. If you want a 3rd party drive belt spend the $90+ and buy one. You have options, you don't have to buy OEM. I'm sure one (or more) of those 3rd party drive belt makers produces the OEM drive belts for the manufactures. Are the 3rd party belts as good? I don't know? I know for my snowmobile I have no problem using a Dayco belt. It works just fine and lasts a long time. Comparing the Ryker CVT Drive belt and the Syder drive belt is apples and oranges. The Ryker drive belt is already (and has been for a long time) used on many other products. My guess is the Spyder drive belt (because of length, size) is only used on the Spyder.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can get the Kendra Spyder Tires on https://www.lamonstergarage.com/kend...der-lamonster/ also:

225/50R-15 Kenda KR20 Kanine Rear Tire
    Kenda's Kanine KR20 tires offer greater mileage than stock and better handling than passenger car replacements.

High performance pattern reduces rolling resistance whole keeping maximum lateral traction
    Engineered with increase siping to evacuate standing water for excellent wet weather performance
    Designed to work well with ABS and TCS
    Greater mileage than stock, better handling than passenger car replacements
    First and only aftermarket tire designed specifically for the Can-Am Spyder
    This motorcycle tire uses radial construction
    This motorcycle tire is tubeless
    This motorcycle tire is H rated for speeds up to 130 mph
    MC-Spec, DOT and E-Mark approved

Available in the following motorcycle tire size: 225/50R-15.
    Item SKU: 328-285112
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 04-24-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Timken MFG in Springfield, MO makes belts that are marketed under different names. Among them are Carlisle, and Ultimax. They also use variations of Timken-Ultimax, Carlisle by Timken and others..... They look to be a major player in supplying aftermarket and OEM belts in addition to other hardware such as bearings. According to their website, they actually manufacture their belts in Missouri. But they do operate in 42 different countries so.....? My guess is that there are many different "brands" marketing Timken belts. Maybe someone in Missouri familiar with Timken can elaborate..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Snowmobile (ryker) belts are commonly manufactured by 3rd parties to fit various sizes. Quick search A Dayco XTX5034 belt that matches the BRP 571 is about $90. The Ultimax XS851 belt matches the BRP 571 is about $90
    Rob what does BRP 571 fit ???? ............thanks ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what was said earlier it fits the Rally. cueman

Spyder Garage

This shows the cvt belt https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...ulleys-900-ace this is the belt I bought https://www.amazon.com/nobrandname-4...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0
    If it turns out to be the wrong belt I will return it

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Rob what does BRP 571 fit ???? ............thanks ..... Mike
    The 417300571 belt is the same belt used in BRP Gen 4 snowmobiles with the 850 E-tech engine. Many aftermarket companies make belts for this snowmobile as they are know for blowing belts. Note that on a snowmobile our sustained RPM is much higher then a Ryker (way more heat).

Spyder Garage

Mike. Many jurisdiction in the world require by law that motorcycles to have motorcycle tires and that the tire has to identified as such on the side wall. The Spyder or Ryker is considered a motorcycle by law in most jurisdictions. Hence Kenda identifies Spyder/Ryker tires as special motorcycle to make them legal. If you believe that putting special motorcycle on the tire makes it illegal. Please post a link to the DOT regulation that says that. I did a google search and could not find any such reg. If you want an aftermarket Kenda tire for your Spyder. Lamonster garage has them. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/kenda...der-lamonster/ He also has them for the Ryker.

Aftermarket CVT belts are available for the Ryker. Nothing special about them. I have not seen an aftermarket drive belt for the Spyder. Not enough Spyders and belt last too long. So not enough demand, I would guess.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Mike. Many jurisdiction in the world require by law that motorcycles to have motorcycle tires and that the tire has to identified as such on the side wall. The Spyder or Ryker is considered a motorcycle by law in most jurisdictions. Hence Kenda identifies Spyder/Ryker tires as special motorcycle to make them legal. If you believe that putting special motorcycle on the tire makes it illegal. Please post a link to the DOT regulation that says that. I did a google search and could not find any such reg. If you want an aftermarket Kenda tire for your Spyder. Lamonster garage has them. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/kenda...der-lamonster/ He also has them for the Ryker.

Aftermarket CVT belts are available for the Ryker. Nothing special about them. I have not seen an aftermarket drive belt for the Spyder. Not enough Spyders and belt last too long. So not enough demand, I would guess.
    Thanks for your input .... I have thought for a very long time you one of the smartest members on this site ...... regarding D.O.T. regs., I have not been able to find any reference to a there being a " Special " motorcycle designation ...... also you didn't say anything about what I posted about the " J " wheels and tire bead requirements ...... again thanks ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Rob, the Rally belt is the same as the " 900 " model .... so that's a $220.00 part .... IF you can DIY it !!!! .... If it actually needs re-placement every 12,000 mi. over say 120,000 mi. the DIY cost is $ 2200.00 ..... For this reason alone I won't even consider getting a Ryker ( and I could DIY it !! ) ...... Mike ..... PS, the RT & F-3 drive belts cost appro. $ 350.00 , however with proper maintenance, I think 250,000 mi.is possible...... to me this is real deal breaker
    Are you saying that the spyder belts should easily get 250,000 miles before replacement?

Spyder Garage

Hell.. H-D, Victory and Indian belts go at least 75k with normal maintenance. And their's a boat load of H-D's making a lot more power than the 1330's.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just read in another thread about the " drive belt " the one that BRP says should be re-placed at 12,000 mi..... I looked at some parts Fiche's and am curious if this is part 417300531 ..... they identify it as being a " V-belt " ( it doesn't look like a V belt ) ..... the price is listed at $ 220.00 ....... So is this the " drive belt " ???? ..... thanks ..... Mike .....This is for the 900 engine ..... the 600 has part 422289654 @ $ 135.00
    Just to switch us the conversation a bit. I doubt many people will be putting 120K miles on their Ryker before selling for something else. With the amount of time I have and the seasonal riding I do it would take me about 3 years to put 12K miles on. I've had my Spyder for 7 years and it has about 24,000 miles. So, Id guess the average owner would put 1-3 belts on their Ryker during their time of ownership. That's between $300-$600 to replace the belt over ownership of the bike. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Sure some people live in states where the riding season is longer and some people have more time to ride. This might mean they ride more miles and have to buy belts more often. It's a wear item like brakes, tires, filters, oil, etc. Toys cost money.