Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default China & COVID-19 virus

With china (from what we know) caused the virus, has anyone had second thoughts on buying chinese built stuff not
    from fear but from anger & not wanting to feed the machine?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-22-2020 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Title clarification

Spyder Garage

Covid-19 Virus

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Seeing practically squat is made in NA you are at their mercy. Be years to try and catch back up!

Spyder Garage

This will be an interesting topic over the next year or more. China is well on the way to having the whole world upset with them. We'll see how this plays out
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyjj View Post
    Seeing practically squat is made in NA you are at their mercy. Be years to try and catch back up!
    No it won't - it simply won't happen at all as we've priced ourselves out of the global market.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

i sent the below email to the CEO of Harbor Freight....
    anyone, everyone, is allowed to copy & paste it, and also send it to him.... be my guess:

Mr. Eric Smidt;
    Please be advised that I will no longer buy any products at Harbor Freight that are made in CHINA...
    This virus, in my opinion, was created and released INTENTIONALLY by China, and I consider it an ACT OF WAR against the people of the world, especially the United States of America.
    Harbor Freight has been my GO TO STORE, in Greenville, SC for well over 20 years, I find it sad that I am forced to do this because I've enjoyed your products and the courtesy of your staff, but it's a MUST to save our country from those that are trying to destroy us.
    Please try to locate US MADE products, I'm certain that most Americans would be willing to pay a bit more to avoid enhancing an oppressive Communist organization.
    Dan P
    Easley, SC

Spyder Garage

Wait till hyper inflation kicks in from all the bailouts and the idea of ''paying a bit more'' will only be for the very wealthy.
    China is in meltdown too.
    Could be half the goods simply won't be available from anywhere.
    The idea that you can just flick a switch or print money to start the system up again is far from reality.
    The ponzi scheme is being reset at the expense of the middle class and small business with choice and freedom the big loosers.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    With china (from what we know) caused the virus, has anyone had second thoughts on buying chinese built stuff not
    I think it depends on the buyer. I don't believe anyone goes out of their way to buy a Chinese product, it is usually more of wanting a cheap price or not doing research where a product is made.

Spyder Garage

I'm needing a small plasma torch----- the chinese one is $300 or so. The American ones are $650 and up. I just don't want to support the communist chinese government but what's a guy to do???
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I'm needing a small plasma torch----- the chinese one is $300 or so. The American ones are $650 and up. I just don't want to support the communist chinese government but what's a guy to do???
    Lew ....but imho it's almost impossible to know whether or not the item you buy from a " USA seller " hasn't been purchased by them from CHINA. .... I would love it if there was a way to determine this ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post

My feeling is that's the wrong approach to take. Too soon to know. Don't shoot from the hip.

Question? If China comes up with a vaccine before us, should we use it if they offer it to us, or say no out of principal?.........and what if they say we will sell it to you for $$$$$$$$.........

This is when the WORLD and friends need to work together, similar to the next bigger travesty Climate DOOM

This is a world Pandemic. Lets be right on the fix for this! ok?

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i sent the below email to the CEO of Harbor Freight....
    anyone, everyone, is allowed to copy & paste it, and also send it to him.... be my guess:

Mr. Eric Smidt; (Political Post)
    Please be advised that I will no longer buy any products at Harbor Freight that are made in CHINA...
    This virus, in my opinion, was created and released INTENTIONALLY by China, and I consider it an ACT OF WAR against the people of the world, especially the United States of America.
    Harbor Freight has been my GO TO STORE, in Greenville, SC for well over 20 years, I find it sad that I am forced to do this because I've enjoyed your products and the courtesy of your staff, but it's a MUST to save our country from those that are trying to destroy us.
    Please try to locate US MADE products, I'm certain that most Americans would be willing to pay a bit more to avoid enhancing an oppressive Communist organization.
    Dan P

Easley, SC
    Seriously, Americans are employed at Harbor freights, so you will effect them before you damage the Chinese.

Ya know the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, and we Put American Citizens of Japanese nationality and decent in camps. Is that what's next??

Why stop there, why not go back to WWII and not buy Gold Wing or BMW motorcycles.

TicketBait, JMO

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    This virus, in my opinion, was created and released INTENTIONALLY by China, and I consider it an ACT OF WAR against the people of the world,
    There's just too much of that way of thinking in this country - concrete conclusions and courses of action based on opinion. This could end up being the worst case of human/animal virus transmission situations ever. The news today reported two pet cats in NY have tested positive for Covid-19. And what was it, two weeks ago, when two tigers in NY tested positive? Are dogs next? What about gerbils and pet mice? That the virus came to humans from bats is perfectly plausible. It's happened before. And for all we know it may not have been bats. I understand the Chinese consume all sorts of wild animals. It's part of their culture. I heard today that the coronavirus was introduced into the German society by a Chinese lady passing a salt shaker to a German woman at a company lunch room. Two people in CA have been confirmed by autopsy as actually being the first fatalities from Covid-19 in the US. Where they picked it up is unknown. We just don't know everything yet that we need to know about how the virus originated and spreads.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

unproven conspiracy theory... Scientists that were researching before the Chinese stopped the inquiries, found it was genetically like 90+% to a bat virus. The hypothesis is it went from bat to middle animal to human. They were doing the tracing and sequencing when China stopped access to the data for research.

Besides, the virus will only live on surfaces for a few days. It takes longer than that to get chinese goods to our homes even via China Express.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SPYD3R you need some reality time. And by the way, don't believe all the stuff coming our of Oklahoma. It's going to be months before fat lady sings.

Spyder Garage

Well, I could believe that. Kinda like us having the best football team.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sduskin View Post
    Well, I could believe that. Kinda like us having the best football team.
    WHAAAT!! You lot don't even play FOOTBALL - that so called 'game' you lot play is more like a choreographed demolition derby crossed with motorised Himalayan polo - only with car sized players instead of cars, and a pigskin bladder instead of your enemy's head!!

And NO, I'm not talking about that 'Thugs game for Gentlemen' called Rugby Union that's played by some Toffs somewhere; nor that 'Gentleman's game for Thugs' called Rugby League aka 'one man trying to push two men's heads up three men's arses' that's played by wannabe Toffs somewhere else! Neither am I talking about that Soccer stuff, which is called by a few 'the World Game', despite only something like 4% of the World's population playing it?!?

Surely you all know that there's only one REAL Football and that's Aussie Rules Football The phenomenal game played by highly skilled & extremely athletic aerial ping pong players who not only hafta kick the ball with their feet (and have done that so much that the ball is now permanently just a tad misshapen! ) but they also hafta run with the ball, and bounce the oddly shaped ball; they hafta leap high into the air to pluck the ball outta the sky if it comes near, and climb all over their opponents to do that if they can; and they pass the ball too, only not just by throwing it (cos anyone can throw a ball! ) but by skillfully punching it off the flat of their hand like any sensible person would!

I just don't know what the World is coming to, thinking that any other 'game' could be great enough to be called 'Football' besides Aussie Rules, the game of Champions, played in the Greatest Country on Earth.... where we also play Cricket in the off season, just to keep the adrenalin pumping & coursing thru our veins!!

Ooops, sorry bout that little thread deviation there, I mighta juust let my enthusiasm to set the record straight run away with me a liddle bit there - but in my defence, due to the Covid-19 'Social Distancing' requirements, there's no Footy being played here atm and there's no cricket either.... But at least that brings us back on topic....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-23-2020 at 01:40 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you TicketBait.:

Spyder Garage

Peter Aawen,

After watching the Netflix series The English Game, I’d have to agree.

https://www.newsweek.com/english-gam...-suter-1493204

Spyder Garage

Thank you Peter, you have started my morning off right!
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    My feeling is that's the wrong approach to take. Too soon to know. Don't shoot from the hip.

Seriously, Americans are employed at Harbor freights, so you will effect them before you damage the Chinese.

Ya know the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, and we Put American Citizens of Japanese nationality and decent in camps. Is that what's next??

Why stop there, why not go back to WWII and not buy Gold Wing or BMW motorcycles.

TicketBait, JMO[/I][/SIZE]
    With all due respect, in my humble opinion, you miss the point entirely.
    It's easy, but totally wrong to blame racism as the root of any disagreement.
    I believe there is a larger point to make. Do we, as a society, want to allow ourselves to become dependent on very long supply chains that can be easily disrupted.
    This Covid virus has just made the point very strongly, but we've had many many examples in the past that were pointed, but less encompassing.
    As an example, do you remember the oil embargo of the 1970's ? We have, finally, since then, become energy independent again.
    Refineries used to be placed all over the country, now they focus on the Gulf of Mexico. Look what happens when there is a storm in the region. Gas prices go up because of a little rain.
    Ice storms in Florida make vegetable and fruit prices fluctuate.
    To be sure, it's a good idea to have foreign sources of goods to supplement our own, but just as a matter of course, it's better to have secure sources that are reliably close.
    Just as another example, the Chinese have made passing comments to withhold the anti-biotics that we so desperately need to combat the current plague.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I asked my wife the question last night, "if another country comes with a vaccine before the USA, do you think we would even know about it, and, do you think we would even accept it?" Whadaya think, are we as Americans too wrapped up in economics to accept a vaccine created by another country? Personally, I think it would be a hidden fact if another country came up with a vaccine prior to the US. This country is sooooo greedy, I don't think Big Pharma would ever allow a cheap vaccine to be made available to us without them being able to profit HUGELY from it. Pharmaceuticals and Insurance companies have run our medical system into the ground. Back on topic though.......I would love to be able to buy American Made Only, but I think we as Americans have made it nearly impossible to be able to afford to do that. Corporate Greed has become very real, and is becoming VERY evident in these times
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Peter, I remember back in my 20's, going to a Rugby game and in the parking lot seeing bumper stickers saying, "Give blood, play Rugby." How true!
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Peter, I remember back in my 20's, going to a Rugby game and in the parking lot seeing bumper stickers saying, "Give blood, play Rugby." How true!
    When I played lacrosse in college the laxers and the ruggers used to argue who was crazier, guys who could legally run around with sticks and hit each other or blokes who played football with no helmets.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

An interesting subject provided it continues to stay within the site rules.

Only two deletions for rule infractions so far.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-23-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think you have to make your own decisions.
    I'll be thinking about where my purchases are from going forward.
    I recently needed plumbing parts for a home project. I had a choice of one product that was of China manufacture, one from Italy. I chose Italy. The other 5 parts, only one was MUSA, the rest were MIC. But I made a choice when I could.
    There are some items that you will not be able to find made anywhere but China, because retailers have limited choices in some product lines, and they make a boatload of money on those MIC parts, keeping the doors open and them in business.
    I do think we need to move critical manufacturing back here though. Drugs, medical hardware, tools, things that keep the wheels turning and benefit us and US in the long haul.