Spyder Garage

Default Is the oem drive belt carbon fiber

I just bought a new drive belt just to have it on hand. Made me wonder if the oem belt is carbon fiber. If so I would think it should last well past the 12,000 recommended. I have over 15,000miles, will wait to change mine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No its not. Just keep an eye on it as well as the two pullys in the drive system. Almost all ATV's and Side by Sides have the same drive systems as well as Snow Mobiles.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    I just bought a new drive belt just to have it on hand. Made me wonder if the oem belt is carbon fiber. If so I would think it should last well past the 12,000 recommended. I have over 15,000miles, will wait to change mine.
    12,000 mi. for OEM drive belt ????? ..... where did you get that info ???? .... I'm expecting 250,000 mi from mine .....and others here have gone well past 100,000 mi. so far ..... and I have not read that the belt was or contained carbon fiber .....Mike

Spyder Garage

They are talking Ryker here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

blueknight you should read the Ryker manual.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, I will change it in a few weeks.

Spyder Garage

oregoncoast, you might want to look back at some old post. I seem to remember that there were a few early changers, with correct mileage, that planned to extend the interval the next time with just an inspection because the belt looked so good.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    oregoncoast, you might want to look back at some old post. I seem to remember that there were a few early changers, with correct mileage, that planned to extend the interval the next time with just an inspection because the belt looked so good.
    I do remember those posts, I should find a better way to get a good look at it. I meant to try and look when I changed filters but forgot. Belts should way more 12,000.

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't be surprised if the drive belt is reinforced with Kevlar. Most are.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Problem is...... There is no easy way to inspect the belt. After you do all the work required for inspection you might as well just change it.

Belts are made of Kevlar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dklehman View Post
    Why would I want to do that .... I don't own a Ryker .... the OP didn't say they were referring to a Ryker ..... Questions that are missing " vital " info , generate answers that arn't accurate , but of course you realized that - Right .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Well it was posted in the Ryker forum which would infer he was talking about a ryker. But of course you realized that.

Spyder Garage

the live time depends on, how you ryde it !! you should never try some burn outs or so, when the belt is not "warmed up" .. 25.000 miles should be possible - and yes there is a stronger belt Version, the one for the Maverik X3, but I don`t know if that would fit in the 900..
    (would be interesting to know the dimensions of your used belt before you change it ..)

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...16#post1477716
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Blueknight911, not to criticize but you make quite a few errors in your postings. If you are going to continue viewing just 'New Posts', you need to look at the top of the page and see if you are in the Ryker section before you accidently give some newbie some bad information. Just my opinion.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

I am pretty sure the Rykers are shaft drive not belt drive

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    I am pretty sure the Rykers are shaft drive not belt drive
    Correct...Rykers are shaft drive with a CVT drive belt, which is what the original poster was talking about.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a simple belt drive CVT transmission controlled by centrifugal force on fly weights that control the width thus the effective pulley diameter of the drive and driven pulleys connected by the afore discussed drive belt that that automatically changes the effective gear ratio, use in almost all ATV's, Side by Side's and Snowmobiles plus in dozens of other applications. Fancier.......and much more expensive CVT transmissions use can metal belts running in an oil bath with the width of both the drive and driven pulleys computer controlled. For example those used in Automobiles.

And as correctly said above by Markubis the driven pulley drives the drive shaft in the Ryker.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Ive only seen a few posts saying that the belt looks great after 12000 miles. I guess we'll have to wait and see when there is more statistics and feedback.
    As Chris says, the Life expectancy of the belt surely depends a lot on how you drive it, and my guess is that BRP has applied a lot of safety margin, meaning it should last for 12000 miles when you ride it like you stole it but a lot longer if you drive more careful.
    I dont know what the workshop charges for a belt change, but the belt itself it not very expensive, so I will for sure change it when I reach 12000 miles anyways.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    Ive only seen a few posts saying that the belt looks great after 12000 miles. I guess we'll have to wait and see when there is more statistics and feedback.
    As Chris says, the Life expectancy of the belt surely depends a lot on how you drive it, and my guess is that BRP has applied a lot of safety margin, meaning it should last for 12000 miles when you ride it like you stole it but a lot longer if you drive more careful.
    I dont know what the workshop charges for a belt change, but the belt itself it not very expensive, so I will for sure change it when I reach 12000 miles anyways.
    That's a very good and logical assessment.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    Blueknight911, not to criticize but you make quite a few errors in your postings. If you are going to continue viewing just 'New Posts', you need to look at the top of the page and see if you are in the Ryker section before you accidently give some newbie some bad information. Just my opinion.
    Dear " poli " .... I'm sorry my post offended you .......... please put me on your IGNORE List, this should prevent any further Stress in the future. In an effort to be totally transparent and honest .....You are now on mine ...... have a great day ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dklehman View Post
    Dear " dklehman ".... I just posted an answer to " poli " ..... congratulations ....it will also apply to you ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I don't have a Ryker, but I have a lot of miles on rubber band drive scooters, mostly a Yamaha T-max which is a big powerful scooter. The recommended change on the Max is 12,500 miles and I adhere to it. In the belt failures I have experienced there were no warning signs. No squeak, no slip, just pow, and I was walking. Eyeballing a belt means little since most of them show little wear before they fail. When it fails it will shred and bits of it will goober up the centrifugal clutch, sliding pulley halves, rear pulley, and loading spring. It can also disrupt the position of the rollers in the variator, which will make the CVT not work right anymore after the belt change. So the entire thing needs to come apart to have every last bit of rubber removed, everything cleaned, all the rollers checked, everything aligned, etc. This make for a VERY long replacement job and a lot of extra work- if you replace the belt BEFORE it breaks and shreds, you can save a lot of time and money in the long run. You will walk if it breaks because this is not something you can fix at the side of the road.
    2015 RT , Black