Spyder Garage

Default Oil change - anyone used a oil pump / suction tube?

Hi all I might have asked this before . As anyone used a oil pump / suction tube in filler to save getting right under bike and undoing drain plugs TWO ! + no room to put container under

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nico75 View Post
    Hi all I might have asked this before . As anyone used a oil pump / suction tube in filler to save getting right under bike and undoing drain plugs TWO ! + no room to put container under
    Yes some members have done it this way ........... and there was lots of comments about the amount of debris that might not get sucked out ..... one of the reasons to change the oil is to get that debris out of the oil ..... some said if you suck it out right after stopping the engine , most of the debris will be suspended. ..... maybe / could be ....... your call ..... Mike ....... PS, I use the drain plugs, they have magnets on them and will hold metal particles

Spyder Garage

I know everyone is looking for an easier way to do just about everything. For me, draining the oil is really the only right way to do it. It's really the only way to know that you've gotten as much contaminants out as possible. I suppose sucking the oil out might suffice. I'm just not thrilled with the 'might suffice' part.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I know everyone is looking for an easier way to do just about everything. For me, draining the oil is really the only right way to do it. It's really the only way to know that you've gotten as much contaminants out as possible. I suppose sucking the oil out might suffice. I'm just not thrilled with the 'might suffice' part.
    I have to agree with Ron. What could be easier than gravity?
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Someone posted not to long ago that they measured both ways and if I remember correctly just sucking it out you were leaving over a quart in the engine/transmission that would not be changed,
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

If you take an empty 2 gallon or 2.5 gallon oil bottle, such as the picture, the flat style, screw the cap back on the pour spout, and then cut a large hole in one side of it, you can slide them under a Spyder without even jacking it up. I have been using them for years to drain oil from several different kinds of motorcycles, without jacking them up. After the oil is drained, you can unscrew the cap and carefully pour the used oil into a 5 gallon oil bucket to take in to the oil reclaim sites. If you can't get your hands in there to unscrew the plug. you can always finish unscrewing it with an open end wrench of a set of channel locks. Just let the plug fall into the drain pan. You can get it out when the oil stops dripping. If you put the front wheels up on even a set of 6 inch ramps, there is plenty of room to unscrew the plugs by hand. It is not nearly as much trouble as setting up a suction device and then having to pull the plugs also.

Cut out about where the paper sticker is on the side of the oil bottle and you got a free drain pan, that is only about 3 inches tall at most.
    A two gallon bottle will hold all the oil that should be in any Spyder, with freeboard to spare.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This seems to come up every couple of weeks. You won't get all the old oil out.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Mercedes Dealers have been using the Suck Method for years. Me personally, I use the drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    Mercedes Dealers have been using the Suck Method for years. Me personally, I use the drain plugs
    You have EXPEDIENCE and you have QUALITY. It's great when they both produce the same results. But it doesn't happen often.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Read The Fine Manual.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Oil pan and room to work.

I never did figure out how to use jack stands if the my scissor jacks (3 maybe 4) are in way. And to keep Ryker level. So I bought some 2x6 and 2x8 boards and built some wheel supports. I screwed the 1st three in stack together. Four boards were plenty high. 5 boards OK/not necessary, and I had to raise the jack up off of the floor. I think it was when I had 5 boards stacked it gave me a total of 13" from floor to frame instead of 5" with tires on the floor. Of coarse after 1st 3 boards are being used I rotated around to each wheel adding the last 2 boards. CAUTION> If you decide to go this route make sure the trans lock is on and ABSOLUTELY USE a couple of rods to lock front wheels (see last pic.) I feel this is much safer with the actual wheels blocked up and it gives you more room to work. By the way each board is about 14 & 3/8" long (72" divided x 5 pcs)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Nice pics and good idea!

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Rhino 12,000 # ramps are about $50 at most auto part houses.
    For leveling, lift the final drive with a floor jack.
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since factory 5W40 oil is rated by BRP for only up to 104 F, anyone else running 10W50 oil for higher ambient?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    The Mercedes dealer is not doing oil changes on a Spyder nor would they have any idea how. VERY different engines.

Again, you cannot change oil on a dry sump engine by sucking oil out the dipstick tube. It simply does not work.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Hi All,
    I have been using a MityVac vacuum pump to suck oil from dipstick tube to change oil in all my vehicles for over a decade, and never a problem. Those vehicles include 3 Mercedes with V8, 1 Audi with V8, 1 Nissan with V6, 2 Mercedes with V6. But now I can't do that to the BMWs because they eliminate the dipstick on newer engines. On Yamaha Waverunners, using vacuum pump is the only way to change the oil, Yes those TR-1 engines are dry sump just like the Spyders. I have not tried to change oil on my 2013 Spyder RT yet, will see.
    Cheers and ryde safe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    Hi All,
    I have been using a MityVac vacuum pump to suck oil from dipstick tube to change oil in all my vehicles for over a decade, and never a problem. Those vehicles include 3 Mercedes with V8, 1 Audi with V8, 1 Nissan with V6, 2 Mercedes with V6. But now I can't do that to the BMWs because they eliminate the dipstick on newer engines. On Yamaha Waverunners, using vacuum pump is the only way to change the oil, Yes those TR-1 engines are dry sump just like the Spyders. I have not tried to change oil on my 2013 Spyder RT yet, will see.
    Cheers and ryde safe.
    Not all dry sump engines are built the same way, and not all the oil tanks on dry sump engines are in the same places.

You can change part of the oil in the Spyder with a vacuum, but if you want to change all of the oil, you will have to pull the drain plugs.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver