Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    If your coming from the east to the hills, the Badlands are worth driving through especially early morning or evening. If you’re coming up from the south, might consider Hwy 85 from Newcastle Wyoming up the west side of the Black Hills. Scenic drive.
    I have done that many times. Early morning, and we have had the whole Park to ourselves. Did not even get asked to pay for a ticket, even though we have the Senior Pass. Best purchase I ever made to see the National Parks...now that we are back in the lower 48.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Isn't anyone concerned about participating in what is probably the single largest public gathering in the country (Sturgis Rally) during the pandemic?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I am thinking that is on a lot of peoples minds. With the uptick in virus infections, we are staying away from gatherings. It also looks like we will not be coming to Utah in September either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I am thinking that is on a lot of peoples minds. With the uptick in virus infections, we are staying away from gatherings. It also looks like we will not be coming to Utah in September either.
    That's wise. My wife and I have been super-cautious about limiting our exposure to other people and wearing a mask when we are out in public. One of the few social outlets Jane has is to meet once a week outdoors with four close women friends, who are also super-cautious. She just got word this morning that one of those 4 has tested positive. She would like to be tested to protect me if she has caught it, but Utah only tests those with symptoms. So, she can self-isolate from me for 2 weeks just in case or .....?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Some friends and I are going to going to be in Sturgis the week prior to the rally and leaving the day it starts. Staying in Hill City in a cabin. Just wanted to ride the Black Hills and see the place. Hope I see some fellow Spyder Ryders while I'm there. Will have my mask with me for when I am out and stopped at places where there are a lot of people. Can't be too cautious at my age...LOL.

Spyder Garage

Two weeks prior to opening day is probably just as crowded as during the official happening. We have attended 20+ times. We always went the week before opening day and left one day before official opening. There are just as many people then and it is extremely crowded. One year we were there 800,000 people showed up and set a record for attendance during the week before and the official week.

If you want to avoid a crowd the week before would not be recommended. Attendance is the same as the official week of. FYI

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just saw on our evening news that the U.S. is in a state of increase in more of half of the country. Numbers are soaring in a lot of them. For those of you who are planning on going, take extra precautions.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I’m 76 and am going to go to Deadwood and the Sturgis Rally also. I feel I should not go to either, but hoping for the best. Mask and rubber gloves at all fuel stops. Deadwood should be a little safer than Sturgis less people. I will not walk around Sturgis people are way to close on the side walks in Sturgis. I didn’t think the city of Sturgis would hoist it. Most large events are being canceled. I’m sure there will be other people like me, going but knowing it’s a risk.

Jim

Spyder Garage

Ride the Hills after Labor Day....tee shirts are still available, crowds gone, hotels cheaper...

Spyder Garage

The city didn't really have a choice... people were going to show up no matter what. By keeping it official, that allowed them to put rules in place for vendors, out on the streets/sidewalks, and entertainment venues within their jurisdiction. It was almost a no win situation for them but I think they came up with a reasonable solution.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    The city didn't really have a choice... people were going to show up no matter what. By keeping it official, that allowed them to put rules in place for vendors, out on the streets/sidewalks, and entertainment venues within their jurisdiction. It was almost a no win situation for them but I think they came up with a reasonable solution.
    Agreed, imagine all those people show up and no logistics there to provide for basic services. Definition of chaos...
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Nobody has to worry about getting covid-19 from large gatherings. I have read numerous stories stating that there was NO uptick in virus transmissions due to all the mobs everywhere rioting. And very few of them were wearing masks. So we now know from our media that massive mobs are impervious to covid-19. So I would imagine that Sturgis folks will be fine too, if we extend the logic from the media.

Spyder Garage

higher temperatures and UV index seems to slow the covid 19 virus.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    higher temperatures and UV index seems to slow the covid 19 virus.
    That must be why Texas and Arizona are reporting record daily increases in positive cases and deaths....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Nobody has to worry about getting covid-19 from large gatherings. I have read numerous stories stating that there was NO uptick in virus transmissions due to all the mobs everywhere rioting. And very few of them were wearing masks. So we now know from our media that massive mobs are impervious to covid-19. So I would imagine that Sturgis folks will be fine too, if we extend the logic from the media.
    Holy cow! By all means, please go to the rally!

BTW, 'the media' is so ambiguous a term as to be pretty meaningless...please cite your sources when making statements like this.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

After all if the media says it, it’s got to be true.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree......the media NEVER lies!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I agree......the media NEVER lies!

Yep, they're just a bit 'out there', aren't they?!?

Here in Oz, with just over 7,500 cases total; almost 7,000 recovered; only 102 deaths nationally; and almost a month with no more cases detected, we thought we were doing pretty well.... ..... and then the late May/Early June gathering relaxations & our own versions of the 'Black Lives Matter' protests happened - and no matter what you might think about the issue, the larger gatherings clearly weren't such a great idea!! . Now, just on 2 weeks later, the feared 'up-tick' as a result is starting - particularly in one State; and particularly amongst those who attended the 'large & mainly unauthorised' protest gatherings.... but it's easy to see that here, where the total of new cases detected in the last couple of days after a clear break is only 30, and only 1 death amongst them... so far!

I think it's gonna be with us for a bit of a while yet....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I do not want to rain on anyone's parade. But I do believe tonights news is very sobering.

Both ABC and CBS reported: today, 35,000 NEW Covid Cases were reported. A record.

They also both mentioned that they expect to see another 150,000 deaths by July 18th.

Please be very careful out there.

AN ADDITIONAL EDIT: Since posting this information, the last four days have resulted in the daily record of infections being broken each day. This pandemic is getting very scary.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-28-2020 at 11:11 AM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Our group of (8) cancelled our Sturgis rooms last week. While it's still on, it won't be remotely the same rally. That said, (6) of us are now going to do a Colorado loop a week earlier..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Two weeks prior to opening day is probably just as crowded as during the official happening. We have attended 20+ times. We always went the week before opening day and left one day before official opening. There are just as many people then and it is extremely crowded. One year we were there 800,000 people showed up and set a record for attendance during the week before and the official week.

If you want to avoid a crowd the week before would not be recommended. Attendance is the same as the official week of. FYI

Jack
    We are going to ride the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore and several of the areas. Sturgis is really on our agenda to roll through there on 1 day out of the 7. Actually just want to say I've been there and won't be stopping to look. Taking precautions but staying in a cabin in Hill City and away from Sturgis. My buddy's brother has been there a bunch and knows of the area and what to avoid.

Hope everyone enjoys their rides.

Gary/Stogeylink

Spyder Garage

Carol & I are going were staying at tru by Hilton, were riding two burgundy 2016 F-3L {we call them the twins}

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Spyder Garage

I'd love to go, but *no way in hell* would I go with the current spike in COVID-19 infections. I feel guilty though - cause I know some are gonna catch it there and it's really hard to not say to someone "you asked for it".

Spyder Garage

Looks like a pretty good turnout. Not as many vendors this year. Several riders have shown up that didn’t pre-register. Look forward to doing some riding the few days. Even a few newbies to the Black Hills!

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

My son and I took lots of pictures and video from the drones and go-pros. Hope to get them put together next week and post some for those who missed it. Couldn’t have asked for better weather.
    It’s been nice to actually meet some of the people from the forum.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey