Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

So, I've read through all of this thread that started in 2020 and have a question or two.

Based on the links provided, I'm seeing a cost of $644.09 for the "Kit" and then a cost of $101.98 for the One year license for the Megatech option. Are those the entire cost to be able to disable DESS or am I missing something.

Then let's say a person has that one year license, what would be a fair price to charge people to disable their DESS?

Before I jump in with both feet, is there private party in or near Amarillo, Tx with this system so I don't have to drive nearly 700 miles to Houston or Nebraska to get my DESS disabled.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-26-2023 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Removed comment re 'Texas section' - it the Texas RIDE CLUBS section!

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    So, I've read through all of this thread that started in 2020 and have a question or two.

Based on the links provided, I'm seeing a cost of $644.09 for the "Kit" and then a cost of $101.98 for the One year license for the Megatech option. Are those the entire cost to be able to disable DESS or am I missing something.

Then let's say a person has that one year license, what would be a fair price to charge people to disable their DESS?

Before I jump in with both feet, is there private party in or near Amarillo, Tx with this system so I don't have to drive nearly 700 miles to Houston or Nebraska to get my DESS disabled.
    JC Thorne lives in Texas, and He can dis-able the DESS module ..... PM Him..... Mike

Spyder Garage

ya, I've been corresponding with him (jcthorne) but he is 700 miles from me. I'm hoping to find someone closer so it's only a one day ride out and one day home. My old bones won't take any more 700-mile days. AND, he says he is booked up at home through the middle of July with appointment only services. My best shot at catching him with time to do it closer to me is to wait until middle of September when he is on his way to NM and meet him about 240 miles from here. That would mean keeping the Spyder grounded until then or taking a chance of being stranded somewhere with the idiotic nanny saying "you're done sucker!"

Spyder Garage

Finally made a connection with jcthorne to meet him closer to home (260 miles). One last question; once started will the bike keep running without the DESS check key message and without fear of shutting down so long as it is not killed manually and restarted?

Spyder Garage

Finally made a connection with jcthorne to meet him closer to home (260 miles). One last question; once started will the bike keep running without the DESS check key message and without fear of shutting down so long as it is not killed manually and restarted?
    Yes!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The only difference that you will notice after disabling DESS is you can now start using a non programmed key. It's great.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Yes!
    After reading my question again, I'm not sure I was clear on the timeline of it. I was referring to prior to getting the DESS delete, (once started will the bike keep running without the DESS check key message and without fear of shutting down so long as it is not killed manually and restarted?) I'm planning to carry a couple of extra cans of gas so I don't have to stop and fill up at a station where the signs all say to shut down the engine before fueling. With the 4 to 5 gallons extra, I can easily make that 260 miles by simply stopping where-ever I need to and fill it up on the side of the road without shutting down.

Sorry about the repetition, but I'm just trying to make sure I'm not stranded on the way to meeting with jc.

Spyder Garage

I haven't seen one shut down while running yet; but I have seen quite a few that simply refuse to start again once they were shut down! So I'd suggest that IF you can get it running, you're pretty much good to go until you next choose to shut it down, just so long as you keep it running in the meantime!

Just don't shut it down once you've got it started and you're on your way to meet JC - once these DESS errors begin, it's a crap shoot on getting the engine started every single time; so if you DO get it started & then later on you do hafta shut your bike down before you've had your DESS Disabled, there's no guarantee that you'll ever get it started again without either replacing the DESS Module & possibly also the DESS Antenna; or getting the DESS Module turned off!

Ride safe & be very careful when filling up from cans with the engine running. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-30-2023 at 08:40 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After reading my question again, I'm not sure I was clear on the timeline of it. I was referring to prior to getting the DESS delete, (once started will the bike keep running without the DESS check key message and without fear of shutting down so long as it is not killed manually and restarted?) I'm planning to carry a couple of extra cans of gas so I don't have to stop and fill up at a station where the signs all say to shut down the engine before fueling. With the 4 to 5 gallons extra, I can easily make that 260 miles by simply stopping where-ever I need to and fill it up on the side of the road without shutting down.

Sorry about the repetition, but I'm just trying to make sure I'm not stranded on the way to meeting with jc.
    4 to 5 gals. ???? .... I have a 14 RT also and get 38 to 40 mpg's avg .... I don't get concerned about re-filling until about 200 miles ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I haven't seen one shut down while running yet; but I have seen quite a few that simply refuse to start again once they were shut down! So I'd suggest that IF you can get it running, you're pretty much good to go until you next choose to shut it down, just so long as you keep it running in the meantime!

Just don't shut it down once you've got it started and you're on your way to meet JC - once these DESS errors begin, it's a crap shoot on getting the engine started every single time; so if you DO get it started & then later on you do hafta shut your bike down before you've had your DESS Disabled, there's no guarantee that you'll ever get it started again without either replacing the DESS Module & possibly also the DESS Antenna; or getting the DESS Module turned off!

Ride safe & be very careful when filling up from cans with the engine running. Good Luck!
    That's what I was thinking as well, hence the need to carry a couple of extra cans of gas. I normally get about 180 miles comfortably and can push it to 200 if I drive really nice at 55 to 60mph. So to get that 260 miles, I'll definitely need to be able to fill up without shutting it down.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

klc