Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Doing away with DESS using BUDS Megatech

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased BUDS with a Megatech license so I can once and for all do away with DESS (Digitally Encrypted Security System). The cost of this is way cheaper than getting stranded on a trip and having to pay for a tow, repair, lodging, rental car and high blood pressure treatment. Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/q4kaAfjTODE

Spyder Garage

Nice. I've been thinking about getting this software package. Did you get the 2 additional modules ( BRP 4-TEC Desspost unit, BRP Power Interface unit) or just the kit?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Just the kit. The 4-tec is for seadoo and skidoo. The power interface is not needed in my opinion. You don’t have access to software updates, so there will be no hours-long sessions. Most of us use battery tenders anyway and can leave it plugged in while we are working.

Spyder Garage

So I saw the BUDS Diagnostic Kit and the DESS Interface but nothing about the 30 day license. Is that automatically included in the kit or is it a separate purchase?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I went back and re-read the original post. Do I understand you only need the kit itself, not the DESS interface?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    So I saw the BUDS Diagnostic Kit and the DESS Interface but nothing about the 30 day license. Is that automatically included in the kit or is it a separate purchase?
    Click on the license type and scroll down to the Megatech options.

1C41DE1E-7DE9-4E0D-830E-BC57019E2107.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I went back and re-read the original post. Do I understand you only need the kit itself, not the DESS interface?

The kit comes with the software and the mpi-3 interface which is what connects your computer to the diagnostic port on the Spyder. There is no need to add the 4-Tec Desspost unit or the BRP Power Interface unit.

https://www.powersports-diag.com/en/...erface_unit-no

Spyder Garage

I really want to buy BUDS but can’t bring myself to spend the $$$

Spyder Garage

Here is a link the kit with the one month Megatech license already chosen:

https://www.powersports-diag.com/en/...erface_unit-no

Keep in mind, when the one month license expires you will need to purchase the appropriate Roadster dealer license in order to keep using BUDS. I got a two year roadster dealer license for $156. If your Spyder is a 2017 or newer you will need to click “yes” to add the BUDS2 to the license. Here is a picture of the BUDS versions and what they are for:
    89672190-97C8-4029-8CCB-62D7C8676A51.jpg

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Just a caution on Powersports-diagnostics.com they are in Eastern Europe and do not operate during our US business hours, English is not their language so communication is difficult. I would suggest buying it elsewhere, I wish I had.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Just a caution on Powersports-diagnostics.com they are in Eastern Europe and do not operate during our US business hours, English is not their language so communication is difficult. I would suggest buying it elsewhere, I wish I had.
    SpyderAnn01,
    Seems like you've thought about this some, so where are the alternate sources for this product? I always prefer to support the American businesses.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    SpyderAnn01,
    Seems like you've thought about this some, so where are the alternate sources for this product? I always prefer to support the American businesses.
    That's what I was wondering. I don't recall seeing anyone else who has it. I think there may be resellers of the Power Sports unit on this side of the pond but I don't recall any right now.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

All I can say is that this was what I felt was the best option for me. They offered the one month Megatech license for a good price and I didn’t have any issues with them. I also do not do this for a living and have not needed any tech support. The other places I found online that sell the kit seem really sketchy so this is the route I chose.

Spyder Garage

Btw, I am not selling or advocating any seller specifically. I am just letting you know what I did and sharing the use of BUDS on my YouTube channel to maybe help others understand it a little better before they make a decision to invest in it.
    There is a real vacuum going on when it comes to info online about using BUDS. It is like it’s a State Held secret or something.
    I hope that what I share helps.
    I am not a trained tech and I have not stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in almost a year so as with everything you see online, take it for what it’s worth.

Spyder Garage

I have had the MPI-3 interface for almost 2 years. Because I have a 2018 F3L. I have to use BUDS2 software and dealer license. The BUDS license gets tossed in for free when you buy the BUDS2 license. So for folks looking at maybe getting the system. The BUDS2 licenses are a lot more expensive and required for 2017 and later Spyders. If you want the do all license for BUDS it is called Megatec. The do all license for BUDS2 is called Mechatronic Expert.

2018 F3 LIMITED

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    SpyderAnn01,
    Yes, we have our BUDS through a Canadian company but their website had been compromised at the time I was buying BUDS2 so I first tried a company in Australia but they were unable to get BUDS2 to work with the cable I had from the Canadians. So I wound up buying from the E. Europeans and I have countless issues with the operation of the system. For instance when I renewed my license this year they gave me a code for a different cable (cable has a serial number) than the one I have so it won’t work. You lose a day every time you email them due to the time difference and if they don’t understand what you are saying you lose 2 days or more. First email is I have problem B, how do I fix it? A day later they say oh, you have problem C so do this. I email and say no problem is B and on day 3 they say try this for problem B. If that works great, but if not I have wasted a bunch of time.

The Canadians were better but they appear to be out of business.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Yes, we have our BUDS through a Canadian company but their website had been compromised at the time I was buying BUDS2 so I first tried a company in Australia but they were unable to get BUDS2 to work with the cable I had from the Canadians. So I wound up buying from the E. Europeans and I have countless issues with the operation of the system. For instance when I renewed my license this year they gave me a code for a different cable (cable has a serial number) than the one I have so it won’t work. You lose a day every time you email them due to the time difference and if they don’t understand what you are saying you lose 2 days or more. First email is I have problem B, how do I fix it? A day later they say oh, you have problem C so do this. I email and say no problem is B and on day 3 they say try this for problem B. If that works great, but if not I have wasted a bunch of time.

The Canadians were better but they appear to be out of business.
    So what was the Canadian company?

Spyder Garage

So now that you have this are you thinking of helping out other Spyder Owner's who would like to disable theirs too? If so how much would you charge to do it? Seems you could "recoup" some of the funds you put out for this by helping others deal with this. I have had my module replaced 1 time already on my 2015 RT-Limited. Where is Crawford, NE...??? I'd be willing some day AFTER Covid-19 goes way to travel up there from KS to have you do it but just a thought. Thanks! Good information!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    So now that you have this are you thinking of helping out other Spyder Owner's who would like to disable theirs too? If so how much would you charge to do it? Seems you could "recoup" some of the funds you put out for this by helping others deal with this. I have had my module replaced 1 time already on my 2015 RT-Limited. Where is Crawford, NE...??? I'd be willing some day AFTER Covid-19 goes way to travel up there from KS to have you do it but just a thought. Thanks! Good information!

I would do it for free and actually offered to for a fellow Ryder from the Denver area that had been stranded because of the DESS problem. Unfortunately, due to the Covid mess he couldn’t make it up here before my 1 month Megatech ran out.
    Maybe I should have bought a longer license and went to the 3 wheeler rally in Deadwood and accepted “free will” donations to do this. Hmmmmmmm

Spyder Garage

I have the full package 10 yr license.. I do charge .... Well below dealers would.. But i feel it is fair.. Heck the dealers dont even have the megatech licenses have gone to dealers with it
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    I had mine done by a friend on this site " joelthebiker " He didn't ask for anything , however I did buy Him a BBQ lunch ...... It took all of about 10 minutes to do ...... I think giving the person $ 75 - 100 would be a deal for both ......jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Just wish there were more people with this ability and closer to Kansas! Thanks for the responses!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by allcd88 View Post
    I finally pulled the trigger and purchased BUDS with a Megatech license so I can once and for all do away with DESS (Digitally Encrypted Security System). The cost of this is way cheaper than getting stranded on a trip and having to pay for a tow, repair, lodging, rental car and high blood pressure treatment. Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/q4kaAfjTODE
    Good day,
    Will this work on a spyder RTS 2013 or is it only possible to disactivate the DESS on a 2014 or newer?
    Thanks
    Ride safe!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BernardD View Post
    Good day,
    Will this work on a spyder RTS 2013 or is it only possible to disactivate the DESS on a 2014 or newer?
    Thanks
    The 2013's & earlier have a completely different system, one that rarely failed and NEVER produced the issues that plagued the 2014's & up - so what is it that makes you think you'd want to turn the DESS off on a 2013 RTS??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The 2013's & earlier have a completely different system, one that rarely failed and NEVER produced the issues that plagued the 2014's & up - so what is it that makes you think you'd want to turn the DESS off on a 2013 RTS??
    Thanks for your reply Peter.
    It was just out of curiosity. Indeed I never had the DESS error but just wanted to know.
    Actually, I am considering buying a B.U.D.S. KIT and looking at what I can/cannot do in order to determine if it worst it.
    Ride safe!