Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anybody have to repair a flat tire on the road?

Just wondering if anyone has needed to change a flat on their Ryker while on the road?
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Spyder Garage

I had to plug the front tire on my 2016 RTL on the road. Luckily, I had some help from fellow riders. I had the co2 cartridges to inflate the tire but could not find the hole. My fellow rider had a 12v air pump which we used to help blow up the tire, find the hole and plug it. It's been fine ever since
    2016 RT Limited , stock yes red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a good idea to carry a plug kit and a small compressor with you on any bike!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

or carry a can of fix a flat......
    Don't get mad at me if you don't like my answer.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by a99miata View Post
    or carry a can of fix a flat......
    There is that.... But during my time testing tires, I've found that using that stuff almost guarantees that you'll soon hafta buy a new tire!! Very few tire techs will bother even attempting to clean the goop out & repair the puncture after someone's used that stuff, no matter how tiny &/or easily repairable the puncture might be!!

These days, with radial tires & proper pressures so readily available, it seems punctures are a much rarer thing than they have been in the past, so I simply carry a small plug kit with a variety of different style plugs & patches, a couple of tire levers, and a small compressor. Not that I've needed to use it all that often, but when I have, it works every time!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I always carry a plug kit on my bikes including the spider. I have plugged tires for my friends on trips. No big deal. Anyone can do it. Plug kit and small compressor and your back on the road.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Agree with Peter, don't want to use fix a flat. I have a Kriega bag mounted onto the max mount of my Rally. Carry a plug kit, small compressor (bought a cheap one at Walmart and removed all the plastic housing to make it small), some extra fuses, an Anti-gravity power supply and a small assortment of tools. All I need.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Here is an interesting video. I personally like this guy. He does a lot of comparison testing. Not always informative. But always interesting. This one, I think, tells a lot. Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5DWhIF1c0M
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Very good video Ron. I learned a lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Here is an interesting video. I personally like this guy. He does a lot of comparison testing. Not always informative. But always interesting. This one, I think, tells a lot. Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5DWhIF1c0M
    Thanks Ron

I have been using Slime in my mountain bike tires when riding in the desert in Arizona. It works well, but seems to need a ‘top-up’ every year. I had a flat this past winter, that Slime did not seal. I added more product and no more flats. I have tube type tires so no issue with sticking to rim, but lots of guys use it on tubeless tires.

Spyder Garage

The first time you fix a flat on the road for a friend ................ They turn into a better friend

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First time I used slime was on a punctured quad tire in the back country. I'd punched a hole in my tire near big enough to put your little finger through. My hunting partner had the slime and a small compressor. We used the entire bottle of slime and then filled the tire up with air. I could hear the slime sealing the hole as I took off and I could see drops of green slime passing me. Centrifugal force slung some of the leaking slime out until it compleately sealed the hole. Great stuff, don't leave home without it.

Spyder Garage

I had one .. my neighbor repaired it for me in 10 minutes ..still use the tire since some tausend of miles, no problem ..
    (I don`t like to invest in Kendas and still could not find others..)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Best way to fix a flat is with a round head Phillips screw (3/4 inch), Phillips screw driver, an air pump and a can of Fix-a-Flat. Pull out the piercing object, screw the screw in the hole, use one can of Fix-a-Flat, air up tire and continue your journey. I did that on a new tire years ago on my motorcycle. The fix held up until tire was worn and ready to change.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I have the plug kit and small compressor as well. But how to hook up the compressor? A couple of alligator clips would be OK, after all how often will I use it? But for my analytical brain I wanted a more elegant way to hook it up. I have a quick connect plug dangling in the frunk that I use for my battery tender. So I bought a cigarette lighter socket and crimped it on to another quick connect plug. Now I can connect the compressor or any other device I need to the spyder battery. Hopefully I never have to use the compressor. But I wonder if my little coca cola 'fridge will fit in the frunk? A cold coke on the road would be nice.
    2013 RT , Copper

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check out Dynaplug, as cheap as $21.95, with free shipping direct from Dynaplug.

http://www.dynaplug.com/carbon.html

As for inflation, I have a super compact German made footpump, which will inflate a P/U tire in reasonable time. Carried it on last 4 M/C.

Not had a M/C puncture since 70s, but prefer to be prepared for solo rides in remote areas out of cell service.

Without a plug kit, I would be walking along the shoulder, looking for a screw to insert in a puncture to get me home.

Some riders are satisfied with a cell phone and credit card, but many of my rides have limited cell service.
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Are any of the plug kits better than others? Any specific recommendations?
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have a 12v compressor out of my old Mercedes 230C that I scrapped a few years back (compressor is small and works well) along with plugs.... when we tour with friends we decide who is bringing what so we dont end up with 4 compressors and no plugs.

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

There’s some great advice here on the best way to plug a hole, but I haven’t seen an answer yet as to exactly how you find the puncture in the rear tyre of something like an RT or F3 Touring with all the surrounding plastic. You can only feel the tread on one very small piece of tyre unless you can lift the rear.......and I have been told (albeit jokingly) by my local tyre guy that if I turn up with Slime or similar in my rear tyre, our relationship may be strained ....and we have a great relationship currently.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNF3 View Post
    Are any of the plug kits better than others? Any specific recommendations?
    I've never found any major diferences in the plugs themselves.... But if you're going that way, just make sure your 'sticky dog-turd' plugs are fresh!! If they're more'n a year or so old, they probably won't work too well, and trust me, that's waaayy more frustrating than having a flat without any way of repairing it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    There’s some great advice here on the best way to plug a hole, but I haven’t seen an answer yet as to exactly how you find the puncture in the rear tyre of something like an RT or F3 Touring with all the surrounding plastic. You can only feel the tread on one very small piece of tyre unless you can lift the rear.......and I have been told (albeit jokingly) by my local tyre guy that if I turn up with Slime or similar in my rear tyre, our relation may be strained ....and we have a great relationship currently.

Pete
    The shop where I bought my Ryker told me 20$ extra to clean out the mess. I carry plugs, air cartridges and a 12v old Bell compressor.

Spyder Garage

I have a massive magnetic pull. Screws and nails leap at the opportunity to imbed themselves in on both of my tires! Plug kit, Aerostich compressor, and problem solved. The nails and screws stay imbedded, making them easy to see. Or, soapy water, poured over a filled up tire. Typically, you are miles from anything, so, take your time! Once you find the puncture, fix it. I usually replace the tire when we get where we are going, or, if none are available, when we get home. The idea of fixing a tire with a Phillips head screw nearly had me, as I thought it was in jest. I hope it was. If not, very scary!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Haven't had to fix a flat in years. I think I still had tubes the last time. Still carry plugs and compressor. Probably jinx me now.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Check out Dynaplug, as cheap as $21.95, with free shipping direct from Dynaplug.

http://www.dynaplug.com/carbon.html

As for inflation, I have a super compact German made footpump, which will inflate a P/U tire in reasonable time. Carried it on last 4 M/C.

Not had a M/C puncture since 70s, but prefer to be prepared for solo rides in remote areas out of cell service.

Without a plug kit, I would be walking along the shoulder, looking for a screw to insert in a puncture to get me home.

Some riders are satisfied with a cell phone and credit card, but many of my rides have limited cell service.
    I have the dynaplug. Haven't had to use it so I don't know if it will work as good as i think it will.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I have the stop n go mushroom plugs and compressor kit. Hope I never need it, but you have to be prepared. I also carry a lithium battery jumper which has an emergency light. Hope I never need that either. The folks on this forum helped me prepare.