Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Installation of car tire.

Ok people. Today I called our local Spyder Dealer in Kelowna, BC and asked about installation of a car tire on RT. I advised the service dept member that I had the EXACT size rear tire, except it was a Toyo car tire. I asked if they could install it, as I have heard that some dealers would not install a a car tire. The answer I received thought, has boggled my mind, as they said the reason they would not do it, is that it was a "Speed Sensor Issue" I am totally confused as how the exact same dimensions would cause a speed sensor problem. I think they are blowing smoke, but has anyone else heard of this. I guess I will just save myself money and do it myself.

Confused in Canada
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT.
    2008 Can Am Spyder GS (Numbered)
    My ModsEdit Value
    Baja Ron Sway Bar and aluminum Heim links
    Show Chrome Rear Trunk Light - Running, Brake and Turn Signal
    Carbon Fibre Windshield Decal
    Chrome's Front trunk inner trims
    Lower Side Grills
    Dual USB Ports in Switch Pod
    Chrome Mirror Accents
    Rear Trunk Chrome Trim
    Digital Voltmeter
    11" Linex coated Aluminum Floorboards
    Chrome lower nose guard
    Custom Dynamics Tri-light LED fender lights
    Show Chrome Rear Mudflap
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Spider aluminum brake pedal
    Chrome Saddlebags Trim
    Chrome Flag holders
    2013 RT , Aluminum Spyder Brake Pedal Magnesium

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman41333 View Post
    Ok people. Today I called our local Spyder Dealer in Kelowna, BC and asked about installation of a car tire on RT. I advised the service dept member that I had the EXACT size rear tire, except it was a Toyo car tire. I asked if they could install it, as I have heard that some dealers would not install a a car tire. The answer I received thought, has boggled my mind, as they said the reason they would not do it, is that it was a "Speed Sensor Issue" I am totally confused as how the exact same dimensions would cause a speed sensor problem. I think they are blowing smoke, but has anyone else heard of this. I guess I will just save myself money and do it myself.

Confused in Canada
    If it looks like smoke and acts like smoke it's most likely smoke

Spyder Garage

It must be us, the Spyder riding community. Apparently the dealerships think we're all stupid. I know you're in a different country, therefore have different laws, but I would forego any service at this dealership. Once a dealership tried to blow smoke up my rear I tend not to forgive them. I mounted my own and it wasn't too hard. For about the price I was going to have to pay to have my car tire mounted I came away with a manual tire mounting machine and a balance shaft.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Smoke, smoke, smoke. No speed sensor problem, not a law problem in Canada, not a law problem in B.C. I think yhe chap you were talking to may have been “smoking”...... The dealer here will do it, no problem. Good dealer and knowledgeable!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

bs-meter1.gif

It is a shame that they don't either say they just don't want to do it. Or that they have no idea what they are talking about. Owners have put larger than stock tires on their Spyder with zero issues. So the same size tire is certainly not going to give any problems.

Sad...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-16-2020 at 12:44 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The other day, I stopped at my favorite non ethanol gas / full service / tire station to fill up and noticed the mechanics twiddling their thumbs from lack of customers. Having noticed some vibration from the not so wonderful Kendas, I asked if they'd do a wheel balance on the fronts. Not only did they do it, they didn't charge me. I have had them put tires on our car and also premium struts and shocks, and regularly get oil changes there, so they know I'm a regular.
    Since they were good about the wheel balance, I asked if they'd mount tires and they said they would. Then I asked if they would match Tire Rack's price and they said they would beat it. Guess where I'm getting tires for the Spyder.
    I bring this up because I'm sure there are other tire shops that would be just as cooperative. It never hurts to ask. Eh?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Agreed....lots of smoke being blown where it often remains dark!! I wouldn't go back there for a ball cap. The dealer is yankin your chain because they don't make the money on a carry-in tire. Usually they'll they'll play the "liability card", which is a little more believable, but I don't buy that crap either. If you have the tools and confidence in yourself, pull the wheel and take it to your local garage and ask them to mount the tire for you. There are some very good videos on pulling the rear wheel on youtube. Your dealer should have been up front with you and at least fed you one of the more common lines of BS.......
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for the quick and awesome replies. Glad we are all in agreement. And yes, baring any major mechanical issues beyond my abilities, I will not be dealing with Banner Recreation in Kelowna. I have changed the rear tire on my 2008 GS, but the procedure seemed a little more complex on the 2013 RT, but I will now take up the challenge. Appreciate the knowledge of everyone in this group. Cheers from Canada and stay safe.
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT.
    2008 Can Am Spyder GS (Numbered)
    My ModsEdit Value
    Baja Ron Sway Bar and aluminum Heim links
    Show Chrome Rear Trunk Light - Running, Brake and Turn Signal
    Carbon Fibre Windshield Decal
    Chrome's Front trunk inner trims
    Lower Side Grills
    Dual USB Ports in Switch Pod
    Chrome Mirror Accents
    Rear Trunk Chrome Trim
    Digital Voltmeter
    11" Linex coated Aluminum Floorboards
    Chrome lower nose guard
    Custom Dynamics Tri-light LED fender lights
    Show Chrome Rear Mudflap
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Spider aluminum brake pedal
    Chrome Saddlebags Trim
    Chrome Flag holders
    2013 RT , Aluminum Spyder Brake Pedal Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    If it looks like smoke and acts like smoke it's most likely smoke
    Quack--Quack--looks like a duck--sounds like a duck...
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Bring it to a local garage and have them do it they would be happy to do it.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

There are YouTube vids on rear tire removal. Two important things; Have the parking brake off. Do not touch the alignment adjusting screws. Take note what spacers went where. Set the spacers in something that holds them in order. It will help to take photos to aid in re-assembly. Torque the axle to the correct number. After all is done, spin the wheel to check the belt alignment before lowering the bike. If it's off, there are good videos for that too.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    There are YouTube vids on rear tire removal. Two important things; Have the parking brake off. Do not touch the alignment adjusting screws. Take note what spacers went where. Set the spacers in something that holds them in order. It will help to take photos to aid in re-assembly. Torque the axle to the correct number. After all is done, spin the wheel to check the belt alignment before lowering the bike. If it's off, there are good videos for that too.
    That’s the best list of crucial steps I have seen, Ricz .......very easy to hunt up videos for more in depth detail if required

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    and let me add - in order to keep the EXACT same setting for the rear tire alignment AND tension .... just remove the rear SHOCK bolt everything will remain as it was when you re-install the wheel / tire ...... ANNNNNNNNNNNNND if your RT has the auto compressor on it, you MUST dis-connect the arm on the left side of the swing arm ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Just wanted to let everyone know, I love Tire threads=:-) and from memory, I have changed the tires on all of the motorcycles I've owned ridden starting with the first motor bike I bought in 1975. That 1st bike was a 1971 Yamaha 360cc 2 stroke. Was either the DT or RT, can't remember but I do remember using a pair of screw drivers for tire irons and yes, I punctured the new tube I was installing to repair the flat tire/tube I was replacing. Some of us have to do it wrong in order to learn how to do it right

Anyways, 45 years later I'm still doing my own tire work, by hand. I made a concession to using bead breakers some years ago but I've broken the tire beads by the heels of my boots more that way through the years. Looking at the wheels on my Ryker I know it's only a natter of time until someone steps up and offers a way so I can balance all three of them in my home garage

But getting back to the OP's original intent, having a Can Am dealer install the car tire you brought to him, I think what some *may* be missing is, the Can Am dealers for the most part (not always) want you to buy the tire you want installed, from them. It's akin to you walking into a restaurant with a couple of eggs and asking them to cook the eggs you brung. The restaurant/diner will feed you but they will supply the eggs. Just a thought

BTW, I've been behind the grill and the only time I remember ever preparing food that was brought to the kitchen other than through normal supply lines was when I was the line chef at the Baltimore Oyster House on Big Pine Key and one of the waitresses brought in some Spyder crabs she grabbed from underneath her dock. BTW2, that was some of the best crabmeat I ever had=:-)
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post

But getting back to the OP's original intent, having a Can Am dealer install the car tire you brought to him, I think what some *may* be missing is, the Can Am dealers for the most part (not always) want you to buy the tire you want installed, from them. It's akin to you walking into a restaurant with a couple of eggs and asking them to cook the eggs you brung. The restaurant/diner will feed you but they will supply the eggs. Just a thought
    )
    While your analogy above is absolutely correct, Shakin Jake, and I agree with it completely, that is not the main issue with CanAm dealers and aftermarket tyres. I have two dealers near me, and both have not been willing to buy a non Can Am recommended tyre to install for me, and I have a pretty good relationship with them The issue is far more deep seated, with many theories posted, but it certainly appears to be along the lines of - “If you (insert dealer here) put on a non recommended Can Am tyre, we will revoke your dealer license....and/or you may be found liable if the CanAm is involved in an accident - signed CanAm”. Some dealers simply ignore this and install aftermarket, but most toe the CanAm company line.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I had my dealer install a rear tire (Kumho) for me and balance it $129.00 0.9hrs labor. They asked me how much I paid for the tire and where I bought it. They wanted to offer it to their customers because the Kenda costs so damn much, I don't remember how much they said they charged for it but I was FLABBERGASTED. Next time I'll remove it my self and take it my local tire shop, they didn't charge me anything when I had them change and balance the fronts, I buy all my vehicle tires from them.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman41333 View Post
    I think they are blowing smoke, but has anyone else heard of this.
    Weed must produce a lot of smoke!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Just this week I took a new car tire (Kumho Esta) and wheel into local dealer in Red Deer Alberta to have them mount and balance. They had no problems doing this and even suggested OEM was a POS. I haven't had a chance to try it yet as mother nature has been a bitch.

Spyder Garage

. I guess I will just save myself money and do it myself.

yes

i go one step farther...i bought a Momar bar and fabricated a jig off the back of my ute.....now i do all my own rears...i also use "habour freight" balancer but not really necc imho

its just not that difficult

pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

RTR in Kamloops will install it for you

Spyder Garage

Recently replaced the rear tire on the RT. Removal and install really is easy and had a locally owned shop take the tire off the rim and mount the new one.
    You will have to remove the center hub, that's easy also.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    While your analogy above is absolutely correct, Shakin Jake, and I agree with it completely, that is not the main issue with CanAm dealers and aftermarket tyres. I have two dealers near me, and both have not been willing to buy a non Can Am recommended tyre to install for me, and I have a pretty good relationship with them The issue is far more deep seated, with many theories posted, but it certainly appears to be along the lines of - “If you (insert dealer here) put on a non recommended Can Am tyre, we will revoke your dealer license....and/or you may be found liable if the CanAm is involved in an accident - signed CanAm”. Some dealers simply ignore this and install aftermarket, but most toe the CanAm company line.

Pete

~~~never thought of it that way Pete, & I guess it makes total sense for those dealers that do not want to jeopardize their relationship with BRP, only to screw it up installing aftermarket tires. Can't blame them really

Your sig line verbiage mentions you're using a Ru$$el Day-Long Saddle. I'd love to see what your trike looks like with their saddle. Could I talk you into posting a pic or two? If you feel it would be more apropriate to send one or two in a PM, please do. I've used three of their saddles over the years. Two were spec'd out by me while the third was originally built for Joe Zulaski on one of his ST 1100's, it was a dual custom in leather w/a back rest, and although Joe had it built for his weight which was less than I weigh, it still rode fine for me, a testament to the versatility of their (Day-Long) craft. I know I'm giving more detail than required but, Joe totaled that bike on the 02' Rendevous Rally, which I rode part of and didn't finish=:-( Another ST pilot bought his wrecked bike and parted it out. That's how I acquired his saddle. They really are fantastic saddles, especially if you ride big miles
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I put a car tire on my 2015 that was a little taller in size with no speed sensor problem. I ran it over 20,000 miles then replaced the front tires with car tires 3/4 inch taller and no problem.

Spyder Garage

My local dealer will mount non OEM tires with no problem. They even told me that they may carry non OEM tires to sell. They have a great service dept. They just don't like to dicker on price of a new ryde.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I've worked in the Tire Industry for 5 years (way back). With an Mechanical Engineering Background I've done almost everything possible. The facts are all tires have Ratings. In the case of the Spyders as long as the Rim beads match, the weight on the tires are basically nothing compared to a Car. The speed sensor is Bull. I normally check Everything I own with a GPS because I Want To Know How Much The Speedometer Is Off!

Since I've changed about 20,000 tires in my early years. I still change my motorcycle tires. $129 to install a tire (.9 hours) Come On? From "Merlot's" post above, I like that rig. I have a 2x4 Square that I put the rim on and just change them with the old tire "spoons".

TIRE SIZE. From Merlot's post, I checked the sizes and it's a Limited Market on the Fronts and Rears. What other sizes are people running?

LAST BUT NOT LEAST... LASER ALIGNMENT. There's a Laser alignment system on the Web "Trackace Laser Wheel Alignment". Checking ebay the price is down $89.00. I made my own version from a Gun Bore Laser Sight. It's Accurate As It Gets. On the Spyder it would be a breeze. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the Spyder has Castor or Camber adjustments.(?) I typically own Cars that I Can Not Take To A Shop so I have made tools to set Castor and Camber.