Spyder Garage

Default Which to get F3 Limited or RT

Ok, first off I do not have a spyder yet I am reading up/researching on the 2019 models. With the virus I have not been able to go and personally look at them or sit on them. I have a Goldwing Motortrike Razor that I purchased in 2017. I have never been that happy with this trike. I have the EZ steer, but if you drive the Blue Ridge parkway you tire out quickly. It is also has a lot of road and rear end noise. It is just boring to ride and I just don't enjoy it very much. I mostly ride two up. My wife and I are not skinny by any means so seat space is a concern and I have knee and shoulder issues. I have read a lot of post regarding the difference between the F3 limited and RT. I have used the search function, however I haven't really found answers to these questions:

1) Between the two, is there any difference in seat length? This is from the back of the passenger's back rest to the front of the seat.
    2) I know on the 2019 RT version the trunk is stationary, but on the F3 Limited it is removeable. Is there a kit that you can attach to the trunk to move it back any to give the passenger more seat space?
    3) I like the sportiness of the F3 Limited over the RT, but I also have to remember comfort for the wife. My wife has shown interest in getting her endorsement, so I am hoping that she will like the spyder enough that she would get her own to ride. But for now she is a passenger.

Thank You
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2020 most seat room for both and seems to be best of both worlds

Spyder Garage

I looked at the RT and F3 when I bought mine. The RT is like an old cadillac. Rides great and looks great. But I see it as something for older people. (No offense)

The F3 is lower to the ground. Looks sporty and rides great. I ended buying the F3-T. We got the Ultimate Tall Boy seat for it and that pushed me back some for more room, raised up the back seat some and my wife says she loves it over the stock seat. Great bike. I get a lot of compliments and I love it. My 2 cents.

Spyder Garage

I recently bought a new 2019 RT Limited and the biggest thing to me between the F3 and the RT was the seating position and handlebar placement. The RT seating/handlebars is more like an upright motorcycle or a naked standard. The F3 seating/handlebar arrangement seems to be more "cruiser like".....think of sitting on a motorcycle where your feet are more out in front of you and the bars come back enough that you are kind of laid back on the bike. After 20+ years of riding sport bikes and then naked standards (an Aprilia DorsoDuro 750 and then a Yamaha FZ09), I quickly chose the RT as it was more like a standard or naked upright....vs. the cruiser laid back style. Of course the RT has floorboards, which I now like because I'm getting older, but to me, that was/is the main difference. The 2020 is seems is somewhat of a mixture of both riding styles, but I could be wrong about that as I never seriously looked at the 2020 models.

Spyder Garage

O.K., here are my thoughts on Can Am, I owned a 2015 F3L and now have a 2017 F3L and I am looking at a 2020.
    F3s are all the same length with a 2 piece seat. 2015's were hotrods and a blast to drive. you can get a kit that moves
    the top case back about 3" for more passenger room. 2o17's have slower top speed and have different gear ratio for
    better road rides. The 2020 RT and RTL's are about 3 inched longer with more seat area for pilot and passenger. You
    tend to set down in the bike better. Has a one piece seat. There are 2 versions of RTs. Base model with no top case
    and the RTL comes loaded out and expensive. I recommend that you go and take a GOOD LOOK and go from there.
    Here is some safety advice. They have electric steering and you will tend to oversteer because of the two wheels in
    front. Just relax and go. High speed curves will sneak up on you. Just lean your shoulder into the turn and go.
    This all said, the bikes are fun and easy to ride, they use no oil and there are plenty of things you can do to get the
    bike like you want. I do recommend removing the cat converter, bike will sound better and takes a lot of heat out
    from under the bike.

Dray

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 2019 RTL is better suited for two up riding and the 2020 is even better, sits lower than the 2019, larger seat and has the removable rear trunk that can hold two helmets. The F3 is a very good Sporty type machine with feet forward seating, low road hugging feeling. But the call needs to be made after you go to the dealer and look at the two and at least sit on them. I also suggest a test ride. Good luck shopping.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I would echo some of TripleThreat's thoughts about the seating position. I prefer the RT because of the "rider forward" position, with your feet more under your body, where the F3 puts your feet out in front of you. My crappy lower back prefers to sit more up right with feet under me vs out in front of me. You really do need to sit on each and ride each, and with the KingFlu going on, that's gonna make it tough. If I were you, I would call a dealer and ask to schedule an appt to look over the options. I would think if they wanna sell, they'd be open to the idea
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If you are going cruising with a passenger, then it should be the RT.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

All very good advice above. Recommend to test drive both, with and without passenger.

Overall, RT better for two up touring. F3 a little more sportier. Being about $3K less, not as many ameneties as the RT.

I have one of each, and at the moment, I like the F3 a little better. We ride one up, and Linda inherited the newer RT.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the advise

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    Thank you for the advise
    I have owned 3 RTs . Have been cross country and many long trips. My wife loves the RT . Before we got our current One I tried out an f3 (kept it over night and rode it quite a few miles with the wife). The passenger seating was very bad compared to the RT. For me the wind was terrible with a lot less protection. More like a cruiser and that is fine for those who enjoy that riding position. My wife hated it. Try them both and decide what is best for you.

Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do yourself a favor and look at a 2020 RT. It has the most storage, the most seating area, longest floorboards and handles like a dream and it is very nice looking. The top box cones off very easily for a sportier look.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

While you may have to wait awhile, extensively test ride every model you are thinking about, with and without the better half, before you invest in your ultimate decision.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    O.K., here are my thoughts on Can Am, I owned a 2015 F3L and now have a 2017 F3L and I am looking at a 2020.
    F3s are all the same length with a 2 piece seat.
    2015 had a F3 and a F3S, but there was not F3L until 2016.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white