Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Serious Problem with My New 2020 RTL Rear End Assembly

Sunday 4/12 was the first time my wife rode on the Spyder we drove to the Blue Ridge Pkwy.
    in Virginia only to find it closed also the Shenandoah Parkway. We stopped and I was trying to
    open the right hand rear side cargo door. It would not open. I checked to make sure it was not
    locked I went to the left side it would not open. Went back to the right side pulled a little harder
    and broke the handle off in my hand.

After I came home I took it in the shop took the rear cargo module off and put it on the lift.
    I could see the rear gap in the back on both sides. But I could see nothing wrong or anything
    that might cause this from underneath or on top. So I decided not to pull it apart to investigate
    because from what I see it's either defective part or a design issue. The rear of these RT's come
    completely assembled from the factory. All they have to do a bolt them on at the dealership.
    This is what worries me. Our ride was on a smooth paved road. It's almost as if both sides
    sank down a little.

For whatever reason when my wife sat on it that weight push down and causes this problem for
    I had not had any problems opening up either rear side cargoes doors before this. And my wife
    only weighs a 120 something (only she knows)

There's no fault here to blame other than a part failure or design issue. I have not taken any
    parts off the rear of this Spyder for anything since I've owned it. Again this all came about
    when my wife for the first time road with me Sunday for about hundred miles and the only
    thing was the weight that this now had to hold which for whatever reason caused the issue.
    I look at other pictures of the rears of the 2020 RT's and there is no gap like this.

I have contacted my dealer who sold this to me and sent them some pictures. I'm just wondering
    if anybody else has come across this yet besides me. Other than this I have been completely satisfied
    with this new RTL Spyder and I still think this is the best one yet.

Because of the coronavirus as is everywhere else my dealership has limited capabilities now and
    may not be able to get to it for a while. I'm wondering if BRP should look into this before they
    disassemble it.

20200413_093720.jpg

20200413_093739.jpg

20200413_093816 (1).jpg

20200412_160622.jpg

20200413_093407.jpg

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking that BRP was in too much of a rush to get the new RT into showrooms.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Following, waiting for my plastic parts to get into the dealer for repairs.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The latch looks like it's locked.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Mine is the same way , the handles do not fit correct.... based on the technical service bulletin I was thinking this will be corrected when the updated rear plastics get put on. The gap appears to be equal from the front of the rear section to the rear as in your pictures. Can you pop the rear seat and show the rear plastic side attachment points? If yours are corrected (some late production units were corrected at the factory with the updated parts) then we definitely have an issue....If you still have the old style pieces (held by zipties or forced together incorrectly) then this "may" be remedied when that bulletin is completed. My dealer says May 1st is the current day showing for the parts to arrive. However BRP is doing rolling shutdowns worldwide so that is not a date I would put in cement. Interesting either way...... Hope all is well my freind.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    The latch looks like it's locked.
    Yes, the photo indicates a locked compartment.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Yes, the photo indicates a locked compartment.

Yes I know what locked and unlocked is.
    I had it on my overhead lift looking from underneath and I was turning the key
    to see how it locked and unlocked and left it in locked.

The other side still won't open unlock no matter how hard I pull to the point of breaking.
    If you look at the picture the whole latch mechanism where the handles broke looks like it has
    slipped down.

20200414_165558.jpg

20200414_165615.jpg

20200414_165654.jpg

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

"If you look at the picture the whole latch mechanism where the handles broke looks like it has slipped down."

Mine looks just like yours. I noticed it when my RT was delivered and I was concerned about how it looks. The latch on my left saddle bag is flush and looks ok. But the latch on my right saddle bag looks just like yours. I took my Spyder to my dealer last week and this issue was one of the things I brought to my mechanics attention and want him to check out.
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCACOIDILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNENVNMNCOHORPASDTNUTVA  WAWVWIWYmed.jpg

Spyder Garage

Good job of documenting the problem. I would make sure all this information, including pictures, becomes part of your warranty claim. Sounds like it could be a couple month process to get it all sorted out. Hopefully, you can still ride a little until then. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Good job of documenting the problem. I would make sure all this information, including pictures, becomes part of your warranty claim. Sounds like it could be a couple month process to get it all sorted out. Hopefully, you can still ride a little until then. Good luck..... Jim

Thanks Jim,
    with the way the situation is right now everywhere I know this is going to take some time.
    I just got off the phone with the service manager where I purchased it at and working to
    make a case for this to BRP.

He feels exactly the same way I do and I want to work with the dealer first. This whole back
    end comes as one piece it's put together at the factory. Whatever broke underneath the seat
    affected both sides of the rear end and I would think somebody from BRP would like to know
    what happened for it was nothing that the dealer did or I did to cause this failure.

When you pay $32,000.00 for pieces of plastic and mechanical parts you can expect some
    problems especially on a newly designed model but hopefully they will make it right. I still think
    it's the best one they've made so far.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    Mine is the same way , the handles do not fit correct.... based on the technical service bulletin I was thinking this will be corrected when the updated rear plastics get put on. The gap appears to be equal from the front of the rear section to the rear as in your pictures. Can you pop the rear seat and show the rear plastic side attachment points? If yours are corrected (some late production units were corrected at the factory with the updated parts) then we definitely have an issue....If you still have the old style pieces (held by zipties or forced together incorrectly) then this "may" be remedied when that bulletin is completed. My dealer says May 1st is the current day showing for the parts to arrive. However BRP is doing rolling shutdowns worldwide so that is not a date I would put in cement. Interesting either way...... Hope all is well my freind.

You may be right on that piece of plastic that the tie strips were tied too.
    I must have the new improved version on this model it's the same piece.
    After looking in the service manual and going back after looking at it again
    I am missing on both sides the plastic clips that holds the pieces from the
    sides to this piece.

Which would make sense because if they were not there or broken the side pieces
    then would fall down and jam the side compartment doors from opening up.

Either they were not strong enough built or they were never there. And when
    that extra weight was put on it for the first time it pushed it out since nobody
    had sat on it before.

plastic.jpg

platic1.jpg

20200414_184939.jpg

Spyder Garage

At least your brake pedal didn't break off - yet. It'll be VERY interesting to follow just how/if BRP resolves this failure. Good luck with it.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Do the 2020s have the latch adjusting cable like on my 2015? If the rear section is all one piece, they must be in a different location. Perhaps the latch can be loosened.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Awful issues for a bike that costs so much. Kind of sad really.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NEXUS View Post
    You may be right on that piece of plastic that the tie strips were tied too......
    20200414_184939.jpg
    Are these attachment points (circled) connected with zip ties (mine are) ...... The picture is blurry in that area so I cannot tell. If they are, or they are forced into position , this could be the domino effect that throws the alignment off for everything in the rear, thus the complete redesign of the side support panels that is coming with the bulletin. At least that's how mine appears to be.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Out to Pasture:
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2012 RT Limited White
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I hear you but I run a Toyota Dealership , stop by someday if you want to see quality issues on $ 50,000 vehicles that will make you think this is minor. Not a dig at Toyota nor BRP , my point is Toyota is viewed as one of the top quality vehicles in the world and we do so many recalls for poor design it would make your head spin. Everyone has issues. It's how they fix them and react to the consumer that counts.

Out to Pasture:
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2012 RT Limited White
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    You took the words right out of my keyboard.

Toyota has many more models than Can-Am so perhaps the comparison is disproportionate - poor design, testing, QC and reputation come with a +/- price.

Spyder Garage

I have seen this on both sides of the F-3 2019 models. Adjustments?? Anyone know. Or lubrications might be needed, my 2020 RTL was dry at all latches.

Spyder Garage

Default No Plastic Tie Strips on Mine

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    Are these attachment points (circled) connected with zip ties (mine are) ...... The picture is blurry in that area so I cannot tell. If they are, or they are forced into position , this could be the domino effect that throws the alignment off for everything in the rear, thus the complete redesign of the side support panels that is coming with the bulletin. At least that's how mine appears to be.

There is no tie strips on this piece of plastic like yours. This must be the new improved
    that they're going to replace yours with. I'm absolutely positive the clips on the back that
    are missing this is what caused this issue that I have now. Whether this happened on the
    assembly line or design I don't know.All I know is they're not there.

I take care of a large municipality and I seen plastic replace a lot of things some of them
    worked a lot of them didn't the first time out. Like the intake on the Crown Vic's police cars
    when they went from cast aluminum to plastic intake. All of them failed and had to be replaced.
    Or the echo weedeater's that went from cast aluminum flywheel to plastic and if you run too
    long the flywheel warps from the heat. And recently our Dodge charger police cars with plastic
    radiator fans fails and go through the radiator from plastic fatigue.

Now back to the Spyder there nothing but plastic. you make something on the CAD and then
    produce it sometime it just doesn't work the first time till it's been tested for a while. Stress
    points that hold a lot of weight that bounce a lot lot don't work very well in plastic unless have
    enough support to start with.

20200414_184908.jpg

tie.jpg

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

And people always wonder why I never buy the first year production of a redesigned bike, car or truck.

Hope you get your issues quickly fixed under warranty……
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Gee, that's a bit harsh PK. Have some sympathy for the poor man. If it wasn't for keen folks like him buying up the early production to identify the faults & flaws others would have all the 'fun.'

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    And people always wonder why I never buy the first year production of a redesigned bike, car or truck.

Hope you get your issues quickly fixed under warranty……

I have no regrets on purchasing this, let's call it the first edition of the new design.
    It's all up to the dealer now and there attitude towards this like widowmaker2011 said.
    (Everyone has issues. It's how they fix them and react to the consumer that counts)

I've had more serious problems with Spyders than this it took a while but BRP came through.
    No sense in getting upset about it. I've always found a positive attitude gets the best results.
    I made an appointment with there service department today and taking the day off so will see
    how this turns out. Only thing that upsets me now if anything is there saying now on the trailer
    hitch will not be available till the end of May.

Spyder Garage

UUUGGGGGG!!!! They pushed the trailer hitch until may now? I was told by the dealer the end of April.
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

Was going to trade the 16 RTL in on the 2020 but now I'm nervous. How can I verify that I won't have this problem?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
    Was going to trade the 16 RTL in on the 2020 but now I'm nervous. How can I verify that I won't have this problem?
    Honestly cant see any incentive to buying right now:

1. Economic uncertainty
    2. 2020 RT and Factory have QC issues
    3. Due to virus riding is limited