Spyder Garage

Default RT Starting Problem...Need guidance

Wife has a 2014 RTS with 24,000 miles. Runs well, but has issues restarting after an hour ride. It's 80+ degrees out and the Spyder is hot. We stop for a rest and when she jumps back on after a 20 minute break, the Spyder turns over, but it won't catch. Almost like it isn't getting gas. It's not a battery issue (replaced this year and it's cranking perfectly). If it starts, it can die right on the spot. She no longer trusts that after riding for awhile, that it will start again.

So is this a fuel pump issue or something else? Taking it to the dealer soon, but I'm coming to the experts to weigh in first .

Husker in Florida

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the same issue a long time ago ..... BRP had a fix for this, and my dealer made the adjustments ..... your out of warranty but maybe the dealer will do it because it was Bulletin from BRP ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Common problem on the 2010 RT. Hot starts were a problem. BRP called it a throttle body issue. Mine was fixed under warranty.

Have not heard about this on the 2014's, but it might be a place to start for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would say its not a fuel pump issue. Without codes there is a long list of suspect areas. If you have not checked for codes you should next time. It could be Purge Valve, Spark Plugs, Plug Wires, Voltage Regulator that could cause hot start problems to name a few. You are getting near the 28000 mile service mark.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the same problem with my 2014 RTS in hot weather...I suspected the purge valve sticking open and flooding the air box with gas fumes...I unhooked the purge valve vent hose from the top of the gas tank and ran a separate vent line to the bottom of the bike to see if that fixed it...It did...I then put a cheap inline fuel filter close to the bottom of that new line to prevent debree from getting in that new line...I also put another cheap inline fuel filter in the hose I disconnected that so the purge valve wouldn't be sucking debree into the air box...Cheap $10.00 fix for me...Try just the hose trick first, then go from there...Report back...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    I would say its not a fuel pump issue. Without codes there is a long list of suspect areas. If you have not checked for codes you should next time. It could be Purge Valve, Spark Plugs, Plug Wires, Voltage Regulator that could cause hot start problems to name a few. You are getting near the 28000 mile service mark.
    I agree. A laundry list of possibilities. Some good suggestions there to which I might add a clogged fuel filter and maybe bad vacuum lines. Maybe even throttle body gummed up or warpage. Could be a weak coil that is getting hot. Some long shots there so I would start with the high percentage, and cheap fixes first. Replacing the fuel filter, especially if it is original, for example, wouldn't be a bad idea. Even if it isn't bad, it won't set you back much and would at least eliminate that possibility.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

hi husker
    my manual gives a cylinder purge proceedure,so if it is the fuel tank purge valve this may help get you going(if you get stuck,before you fix the problem)

give the bike WOT and crank it for 5-10 secs(called "drowned mode")this should clear any gas/fuel vapour from the combustion chamber

then try a normal start

hope you get it sorted

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker