Spyder Garage

Default 2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Wheels (Trade/Sale)

I recently purchased the Can Am Ryker Rally Edition prodominintly because I felt the additional upgrades (suspension) was worth the additional cost. That being said the wheels are not my favorite. I would like to sell them an purchase the 600/900 wheels or if there is someone that has 600/900 and wants to trade Im ok with that as well. Im I the only person that purchased a Rally Edition but prefer the "standard" wheels?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI The Rally wheels are stronger then the standard 900. May be something to consider. Also, rear wheel is different diameter. cueman

Spyder Garage

I considered durability but I'm not planning to do any off road riding. If I'm not mistaken both wheels are 16 inches the Rally tire is thicker.

Spyder Garage

Don't the Ryker Rally's have 16 inch rims up front, with a 15 inch dia rear rim running a bit higher profile rear tire, while all the other Rykers run 16 inch rims all round and a lower profile rear tire?? I could be wrong and will stand corrected, buuut....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Don't the Ryker Rally's have 16 inch rims up front, with a 15 inch dia rear rim running a bit higher profile rear tire, while all the other Rykers run 16 inch rims all round and a lower profile rear tire?? I could be wrong and will stand corrected, buuut....
    I believe you are correct. The Rally rear tire is a smaller diameter rim with a higher profile.

Though, If he goes with the standard Ryker wheels he would just have to get the the standard Ryker tires when they wear out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just make sure you trade the rims and tires. Then you have no size issues. I believe the overall Dia of the tire and rim come out the same on the rally and non rally versions. I'm skeptical the rally rims are any stronger?

Spyder Garage

I just got mine back from powder coating. All three for $300. Looks much better in flat black.
    12458F8C-8FF8-44EB-909F-55F90A87133A.jpg12458F8C-8FF8-44EB-909F-55F90A87133A.jpg
    2019 Ryker Rally , Black and blue

Spyder Garage

Wow Wijames. I was just thinking about doing that today. I dropped my bike off at monster customs to have some led's installed and asked about this. The flat black actually looks really good. But I'm still leaning towards the bigger rim, thinner tire, and more customizable options.

Spyder Garage

Rob you're 1000 percent correct about the Diameter once you go up to larger wheel. But the parts guy at mountain motorsports said they would reach out to rep to make sure it won't throw off traction control etc....Will keep you all posted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ryker2020 View Post
    Rob you're 1000 percent correct about the Diameter once you go up to larger wheel. But the parts guy at mountain motorsports said they would reach out to rep to make sure it won't throw off traction control etc....Will keep you all posted.
    Traction control & all the other 'wheel speed based' computer controlled features encompassed by the VSS/Nanny are readily up to handling 'minor' changes in wheel rolling diameter (about 20mm max) or rotational circumference (no idea of what a 20mm dia inc works out to in circumference variation) because they hafta be able to cater for different loadings &/or tire pressures; so going up a rim size and down a profile shouldn't make any difference, simply because neither the rolling diameter nor the rotational circumference should have changed much, if anything!

That said, if you DO make changes that mean variations in either the rolling diameter or the rotational circumference on one end of your Spyder/Ryker (front or rear), you will generally need to adjust the other end about the same amount or risk VSS/Nanny intervention at some stage. However, I'm not alone in having run tires on my Spyder that actually DID increase the rolling dia by 20mm without any issues at all - but when I had a 20mm larger tire fitted to the rear and before changing the fronts to suit, the Nanny got pretty upset whenever I pushed things hard thru the twisties!! So if you DO actually change the rolling dia on one end (& not just go up a rim size & down a profile size!) it's highly recommended that you ALSO change the tires on the other end by about the same amount too!!

Aaannnd, at the risk of explaining to some what they probably already know, but simply trying to make it clear to those who don't yet know....

On a side note Ryker2020, the 'proper term' you are looking for when you mention 'thinner tires' is actually 'Lower Profile'!! 'Thinner' implies narrower, ie, a 195/55R15 instead of a 215/55R15.... which I'm sure is not what you mean!! When you mention 'thinner', I take it that you are actually talking about the height of the sidewall that you can see between the rim and the tread, which is the 'sidewall height', and that's referenced in the tire's nominal size by the Profile, which is expressed as a Percentage of the tire's tread width - ie 215/55R15, where the sidewall height is only 55% of the tire's 215mm width.

So if you want to increase the rear rim size from 15 inch to 16 inch dia, you'll need to fit a 'Lower Profile' tire not a 'thinner tire' - say, a 215/50R16 or possibly even something like 215/45R16 - but you should really compare the actual 'rolling diameter' or 'revs per mile' figures from the actual tire sdpecs rather than just comparing the 'Nominal Sidewall Size', which can be more than 20mm different from what the tire REALLY is!!

Anyhow, if you have a 215/55R15 tire fitted now, and you ask for a 'thinner tire' on a 16" rim, you'll possibly end up with a 205/55R16 or maybe a 195/55R16, both of which are thinner in width and therefore have less sidewall height too, and as a result will most likely also have somewhat smaller rolling diameters than the OE spec tire! And that is most likely not going to work too well, as the smaller of those will almost certainly be pushing that 20mm rolling dia difference and so could cause problems with the Nanny unless you change the fronts by about the same amount!

Make sense now?! You really want to be: "leaning towards the bigger rim, lower profile tire, and more customizable options."
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2020 at 08:48 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter. Yes when I say thinner I mean going from the 205/55/15 to a 205/45/16. I was never really concerned with that, it was just mentioned by the "parts guy". In Atlanta we say "thinner" " or "rubber bands" if its 25 series tire. When I say 25 series I mean 275/25/22 etc.....

Spyder Garage

Im I the only person that purchased a Rally Edition but prefer the "standard" wheels?
    ~~~agreed!, the Ace 600&900 wheels look so much better (IMNSHO) than the Ryker Rally wheels so don't feel like you're alone. That said, I ended up purchasing a 2020 Ryker Rally last month & with a littLe over 600 miles on the odometer now, I've grown accustomed to the look of the Rally wheels. It's not a deal breaker for me
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The easy way to see how to do it properly is to ensure that the front wheels and the rear wheel rotate at essentially at the same RPM when riding the Ryker, ie the Circumference at the tread is again essentially the same on all tires.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~agreed!, the Ace 600&900 wheels look so much better (IMNSHO) than the Ryker Rally wheels so don't feel like you're alone. That said, I ended up purchasing a 2020 Ryker Rally last month & with a littLe over 600 miles on the odometer now, I've grown accustomed to the look of the Rally wheels. It's not a deal breaker for me
    Def wasn't a deal breaker because I purchased a Rally as well. Ill probably order wheels and tires this week. Its only an additional 1500 installed. Im sure some nice aftermarket wheels will come soon since the popularity of the Ryker is continuing to grow..

Spyder Garage

Def wasn't a deal breaker because I purchased a Rally as well. Ill probably order wheels and tires this week. Its only an additional 1500 installed. Im sure some nice aftermarket wheels will come soon since the popularity of the Ryker is continuing to grow..
    Same here. I perfer the looks of the ACE Wheels, but the Rally just offered more bang for the buck in my Eyes so thats why I got the Rally.
    I've seen one of the aftermarket Spyder Wheel companies post on Facebook some upcoming designs for Ryker Wheels. So there should start to appear nice options soon.
    Hopefully the price point won't be too high.

Spyder Garage

This might me an economical option to powder coating. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-am-Ryke....c100667.m2042
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow