Spyder Garage

Default Is there a Hill Hold feature on my 2019 RTL?

Hi, all. 2019 RTL. I've seen some of the walk arounds on You Tube that say it has a "hill holder assist feature, but can't find anything in the owners manual about this. Anyone? (And please don't say thats what brakes are for)
    Maggie Valley and the Blue Ridge Parkway are practically empty due to the virus. Cherokee is actually closed/barriers up to anyone not a resident. Police checking I.Ds. Sad, really.
    These areas depend so much on tourism to keep afloat. Stay safe, everyone!

Spyder Garage

My 2015 RT doesn't have it. My pick up truck does have it so I know the difference.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Navydad. I think I heard CoachBob say something about it on YouTube. Have to check again. Was just curious.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The new Goldwings have it and my Toyota Sienna has it but never heard of it on a Spyder.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder is light and with the engine and trans setup when you let off the throttle the high engine compression will slow you down or hold you back some and you can all ways down shift to help with that in most cases. I was trying to think if I have ever gained speed going down hill when I roll out of the throttle and I don't ever remember doing that, in fact I seem to all ways slow down as I remember. I do have some pretty good hills around here too. So all tho I don't know of any hill hold assist feature on the Spyder I don't think is needed. So now I'll have to go to the hill this week and take note. lol

UPDATE, I WAS WRONG SEE BELOW!!
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 04-10-2020 at 03:43 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    The Spyder is light and with the engine and trans setup when you let off the throttle the high engine compression will slow you down or hold you back some and you can all ways down shift to help with that in most cases. I was trying to think if I have ever gained speed going down hill when I roll out of the throttle and I don't ever remember doing that, in fact I seem to all ways slow down as I remember. I do have some pretty good hills around here too. So all tho I don't know of any hill hold assist feature on the Spyder I don't think is needed. So now I'll have to go to the hill this week and take note. lol
    I took to mean that he was asking about a hill holder feature for when you are stopped on an incline/hill and it was supposed to keep the bike from rolling backwards if your foot wasn't on the brake. My F350 Dually has that feature and it's called hill assist.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oh ya I get it my misunderstanding. My bad. I was thinking like jake brake thing. Thank You for the correction.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Looking at the 2020 operator's manual for my F3, it is mentioned in there.
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You sure? A search of the 2020 F3 manual doesn't find hill or hold.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quartermain View Post
    Hi, all. 2019 RTL. I've seen some of the walk arounds on You Tube that say it has a "hill holder assist feature, but can't find anything in the owners manual about this. Anyone? (And please don't say thats what brakes are for)
    Maggie Valley and the Blue Ridge Parkway are practically empty due to the virus. Cherokee is actually closed/barriers up to anyone not a resident. Police checking I.Ds. Sad, really.
    These areas depend so much on tourism to keep afloat. Stay safe, everyone!
    It's a feature of the Ryker, not RT or F3.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 14 RT will hold on a modest Hill at idle but not if the Hill is steeper - - unless I give it just a tad of gas ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Page 69 in the 2020 F3 Operators Manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    Very interesting! This is indeed in the 2020 F3 Operators Guide. It is also in the 2019 Operator's Guide, but not the 2020 RT Operator's Guide. It also is not in the 2015 to 2018 F3 Operator's Guides which indicates it was introduced in the 2019 F3. It is also in the 2019 & 2020 Ryker Operator's Guide. The 2020 Ryker guide also cannot be searched and copied.

The reason I couldn't find it is because in the 2020 F3 guide everything beginning with the Table of Contents uses a foreign character set. The PDF displays English characters and words, but the words are not searchable using English words. You cannot copy and paste text from the 2020 F3 guide. A royal foul up by the BRP document people! All their other guides are searchable and the text can be copied.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

its a feature on the harleys

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Very interesting! This is indeed in the 2020 F3 Operators Guide. It is also in the 2019 Operator's Guide, but not the 2020 RT Operator's Guide. It also is not in the 2015 to 2018 F3 Operator's Guides which indicates it was introduced in the 2019 F3. It is also in the 2019 & 2020 Ryker Operator's Guide. The 2020 Ryker guide also cannot be searched and copied.

The reason I couldn't find it is because in the 2020 F3 guide everything beginning with the Table of Contents uses a foreign character set. The PDF displays English characters and words, but the words are not searchable using English words. You cannot copy and paste text from the 2020 F3 guide. A royal foul up by the BRP document people! All their other guides are searchable and the text can be copied.
    No worries. Their pdf's and documentation suck.

Spyder Garage

No worries. Their pdf's and documentation suck.
    Yeah, but I will say it's actually more like a Dust Buster than a Shop-Vac!! IOW, they don't suck too greatly!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Hill Hold on the 2021 F3 Limited... Doesn't work on mine but in the manual

So...went outside on my new F3 Limited...moved it to hill...let off the brake and ...wala...it rolls backward. Incline was more than 5 percent (not sure them mean % or degrees). The book says this:

Hill Hold Control (HHC)
    This vehicles has a hill hold control (HHC) function.
    While in gear (forward or reverse) and when going up on a slope fromstandstill,
    the VSS will hold the brakes when brake pedal is released, and automatically
    release the brakes as soon as the throttle is applied.
    NOTE: A minimum slope of 5% is required to activate the hill hold control.
    This function is automatic and does not need to be activated by the driver.
    NOTE: The HHC is active for 1 second when the brake pedal is released.

______
    2021 F3 Limited Dark , Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

On my RAM truck it would stay active until I took off. I liked the feature. The road to my RC flying flied dropped sharply from the highway. I would pull up to leave and it would just stay on the hill until I throttled up to enter the highway.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I never felt one on 2014 RT-S, but do notice that my 2020 RT-L will sometimes lock up on a hill rather than roll backwards.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Why not just hold the brake in and not worry?

Spyder Garage

Based on the posts, looks like the 20's have it. We use the brake, and have no issues or problems. Just like the ECO button, we don't use that either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My 2019 RTL seems to have about a half second hold.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I carry a pair of these in the Frunk, and use them whenever I park on an uphill or down hill spot. Very effective and affordable from Amazon. They are the bomb! Check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-5001...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    Last edited by redrazor; 04-06-2021 at 01:07 PM. Reason: remove unnecessary sentence.

Spyder Garage

Hillhold wil only work for a second, if you let your foot of the brake, before take-of. Used this many times on my f3s 2019, works like a charm, it's not a hillhold like on cars where you keep in gear, and take your foot of the brakepedal, and the car stands still
    It's on the spyder only designed for smooth take-off on a a hill, for a stopping light or a crossroad incline. I think that it's preventing clutch problems
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black