Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by forbigd View Post
    I wonder why BRP didn't put a shaft in it to begin with, probably cost. I think the Rykers have a shaft. Anyway there is no way BRP would want the bike vibrating like it was. All the plastics would eventually fall off, bearings failing perhaps? Screws backing out (teeth falling out!). I guess I just got one with a finicky belt. The tech that adjusted it was touted to be the best in the area on CanAms, but she couldn't make it go completely away and suggested I get an idler. The idler makes it all go away. If someone else has a problem with vibration, the idler is a great deal. If you are fine, then of course not. It has a bearing spinning all the time, it will be something to keep an eye on. Thanks for your comments! Cheers all!

forbigd

BRP was going to put a belt dampener standard on the RTL but then decided not to. The first
    parts manual showed it on their but they were early versions and they deleted it later.

You're right about one thing weight makes the vibration and the harmonics more extreme.
    If you pull a passenger and a trailer it just exacerbates that even more.

I found out without a passenger and trailer it was not so bad but once I added that and in my case
    around 65 and up the vibration was absolutely terrible no matter how I adjusted the belt.

So yeah one more thing I have to keep an eye on now the belt dampener bearing roller but at least
    the vibration is gone. Just came back from a week in the Smokies and many miles no vibration.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-12-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Hi all, just trying to start posting... My 2020 RT Limited immediatly had the vibration above 60 mph. It was very strong, you could feel it in the floorboards, and there was slight distortion in the mirrors. This was just me riding it home. Later with the wife it happened all the time. If you give it steady accellerartion and you slowely gain speed, the vibration comes and goes, stronger then weaker, then gone, then back. It is about the speed of the belt, the load on belt, and the adjustment.
    There was also a noticable vibration during decel. When you let off the gas at certain times you would get it for a second or two until it passed the magic speed/load/tension magic spots.
    Took it back to the dealer at 600 mile service and the tech said she had adjusted it and it tested ok. It was better, but mostly just raised mph. The vibration started at 65+ insted of 60. And it was less, but certainly noticable.
    Bought the Slingmods 179 buck one and it solved it completely. No vibration at all. Super happy.
    Sorry if this info is redundant, but I saw an oportunity to add info.

forbigd
    You sure it's the belt, and maybe not a tire out of balance? Just a thought, and have you check the belt tension to see where its set? Some say if it's to tight you'll get more vibrations!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

This is what happened when mine failed. I purchased it from BRP it had over 10000 but less than 14000 miles on it when it failed. Mine is a 2019.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...attach/jpg.gif

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...attach/jpg.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I installed a tensioner from Spyderpops - RT (2014-UP ONLY) BELT TENSIONER WITH LAMONSTER DOUBLE BEARING ROLLER KIT INSTALLED

I too had a belt harmonics vibration when cruising above 60. When under throttle, the vibration was minimal, barely detectable. However, when the power was even across both sprockets, it was a noticeable vibration. The belt tensioner resolved it.

Hoping to avert Papa's experience is why I went with the Lamonster roller vs. OEM... the jury is out. I certainly desire the roller to last way north of 10K miles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie View Post
    I installed a tensioner from Spyderpops - RT (2014-UP ONLY) BELT TENSIONER WITH LAMONSTER DOUBLE BEARING ROLLER KIT INSTALLED

I too had a belt harmonics vibration when cruising above 60. When under throttle, the vibration was minimal, barely detectable. However, when the power was even across both sprockets, it was a noticeable vibration. The belt tensioner resolved it.

Hoping to avert Papa's experience is why I went with the Lamonster roller vs. OEM... the jury is out. I certainly desire the roller to last way north of 10K miles.
    Same here - got mine from Lamonster - his roller is better quality (double bearings) - easy to check now and then - still going strong on my brother's 2015 F3-S (but he only has 4K miles on it).

BRP does offer their tensioner as an accessory - probably a warranty issue on why it is not standard - accessories only 1 year warranty

Unfortunately u have to take off tupperware from almost the entire left side and floorboard (easier install if u do), for a 5 minute install.

Upside one gets to see all the stuff that is hiding behind the tupperware.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

I bought my Spyder in July and noticed the same thing around 70 or so with the vibration. I just got it back from the dealer on 10/9/20 for having the trailer hitch put on that I have been waiting for since I bought the bike. Had them check the belt for vibration and the mechanic said that he couldn’t find anything. He checked the belt and tension and it was fine. Told me that the bike was designed to be running around 4000RPM and if I feel it drop down a gear??? I thought then why do they have ECO mode tell you when to shift up??? I asked about the tensioner and the owner said that they don’t recommend it?? I noticed the vibration at all speeds above 50mph, while the cruise control was on, and if you drive a long time at a set speed without the cruise on. I would appreciate any advise on from the forum riders that ride these bikes all the time. Don’t care about the cost as I want a smooth ride!

Thanks for your help! Ride Safe!
    Ride Safe!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RT drive belt vibration is a known issue. It happens more often than not. Some have been able to eliminate/decrease the issue by loosening up the drive belt, others have had to either live with it or add a belt tensioner. It is what it is. If I need to add a tensioner, I'll pay the shop to install it as I'm not very comfortable removing all the tupperware. No garage so if I get stuck, I have to leave the nekkid bike out in the weather. (I know it won't hurt anything but I still don't want to leave my bike out nekkid.)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A Technical Service Bulletin from BRP a few years ago essentially says to set the belt tension to whatever will cause the vibration to occur at a speed the owner seldom rides at. The vibration is a physics issue caused by a combination of the belt tension, length, and speed. If adjusting the tension doesn't solve it for you then the tensioner is the only answer, except as MONK says, live with it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think this is the BEST belt tensioner available and he's a forum sponsor...(yes I have one)

https://www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/

(don't know if it fits 2020 & 2021?)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I think this is the BEST belt tensioner available and he's a forum sponsor...(yes I have one)

https://www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/

(don't know if it fits 2020 & 2021?)
    That's the one I had on my 2013 RT and have on my 2014 RTS. Been working great for me. I don't know about the others but this one you can adjust the force the tensioner puts on the belt.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    A Technical Service Bulletin from BRP a few years ago essentially says to set the belt tension to whatever will cause the vibration to occur at a speed the owner seldom rides at.
    I wonder if they can set it for 250mph? I seldom ride at that speed.

Spyder Garage

I have the Smooth Spyder on my 2020 RTL best one, heavy duty, adjustable, works great!

Spyder Garage

Hi all, just trying to start posting... My 2020 RT Limited immediatly had the vibration above 60 mph. It was very strong, you could feel it in the floorboards, and there was slight distortion in the mirrors. This was just me riding it home. Later with the wife it happened all the time. If you give it steady accellerartion and you slowely gain speed, the vibration comes and goes, stronger then weaker, then gone, then back. It is about the speed of the belt, the load on belt, and the adjustment.
    There was also a noticable vibration during decel. When you let off the gas at certain times you would get it for a second or two until it passed the magic speed/load/tension magic spots.
    Took it back to the dealer at 600 mile service and the tech said she had adjusted it and it tested ok. It was better, but mostly just raised mph. The vibration started at 65+ insted of 60. And it was less, but certainly noticable.
    Bought the Slingmods 179 buck one and it solved it completely. No vibration at all. Super happy.
    Sorry if this info is redundant, but I saw an oportunity to add info.

forbigd
    Just so you know...
    There is no "600 mile service" on the 1330 motor. Check your owner's manual. The first service on your 2020 Spyder is at 3000 miles. This includes an inspection and oil change. The original 998 motor had the first oil change at 600 miles. So either your dealer doesn't know the requirements or they ripped you off. You might want to ask them to show you this "reqired service" in the manual. Subsequent oil changes are every 9,300 mile or once per year whichever comes first. so your second would be at 12,300 miles. Obviously you can change it more often if you desire.

Spyder Garage

I just installed one on my 2020 RT and it works great. I had a lot of vibration driving home from the showroom. I ordered the one from Lamonster garage. Vibration is gone!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I installed the Lamonster version a couple weeks ago. No vibration now. Works beautifully.

Spyder Garage

My brand new 2021 RTL has only 450 miles, today had bad so call,, belt vibration it acuur between 78-82 miles when twist throttle.
    And it dispear when let throttle go, if wasn't from this forum
    I wouldn't tell what went wrong.
    The both floorboards vibrated so bad first thought it's coming from the transmission.
    This issue been mentioned many Can Am spyder riders why not dammed bps never take care this problem for well over 30.000 toy.
    Would like to know who makes best belt tensioner kit greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Supercrawler View Post
    My brand new 2021 RTL has only 450 miles, today had bad so call,, belt vibration it acuur between 78-82 miles when twist throttle.
    And it dispear when let throttle go, if wasn't from this forum
    I wouldn't tell what went wrong.
    The both floorboards vibrated so bad first thought it's coming from the transmission.
    This issue been mentioned many Can Am spyder riders why not dammed bps never take care this problem for well over 30.000 toy.
    Would like to know who makes best belt tensioner kit greatly appreciated.
    LaMomster has what you need. I installed one on my 2020 RTL and it solved the problem. The reason you want his kit is because it uses the factory arm BUT with his improved roller. Read a few of the post here on this thread!
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Well i will be getting one for mine as well . Not a big issue but why not make the experience always more enjoyable. There was talk they were going to put them in the 2020 rtl’s. im thinking they put them on the 2020 F3’s. look at any vehicle on the road these days and they all have belt tensioners on them because of the serpentine belts are so long and flat

Spyder Garage

Very nicely done. I was wondering how to get all this off so I could do my belt tensioner! Thanks a bunch!!!
    Ride Safe!

Spyder Garage

After watching the video by Lamonster on the OEM tensioner, I upgraded to his tensioner assembly. Fit and finish is fantastic. Taking my time start to finish including installing his handlebar riser I had 2hrs labor in. It might be me but after riding at various speeds it feels smoother vs the OEM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeXP700 View Post
    After watching the video by Lamonster on the OEM tensioner, I upgraded to his tensioner assembly. Fit and finish is fantastic. Taking my time start to finish including installing his handlebar riser I had 2hrs labor in. It might be me but after riding at various speeds it feels smoother vs the OEM.
    Make sure you keep a eye on the bearings in the little wheel!! Make it one of those things that you look at when you change your oil!! Loosing a drive belt because of a $2 bearing would suck!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-24-2022 at 08:55 AM. Reason: ! M ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl