Spyder Garage

Default Looking at purchasing a Spyder

Hey new here!
    I am looking at purchasing a Spyder and the more I look the more overwhelmed I become. I see all kinds of models and was wanting the opinions of those that have ridden some different models and how they ride/sit...and do they all handle about the same. I notice the Rykers are cheaper, why is that? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Greatly depends on what you want to use it for and your end purpose.
    More info would help with guidance

Spyder Garage

Here is a link from yesterday that may be helpful in getting you started on your hunt.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...er-info-needed

Good luck in your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kimterry9057 View Post
    Hey new here!
    I am looking at purchasing a Spyder and the more I look the more overwhelmed I become. I see all kinds of models and was wanting the opinions of those that have ridden some different models and how they ride/sit...and do they all handle about the same. I notice the Rykers are cheaper, why is that? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    If you have your license go to a local dealer and look at the different models. Take one out for a test ride, or if you are looking to get your license to ride try taking their ( Spyder / Ryker) riding course. They will provide Spyders and Rykers to ride for the course. For information on the course or test ride look here https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en/learn-to-ride.html
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kimterry9057 View Post
    Hey new here!

Thanks!
    Well I've got a little experience, I bought a used 2008 GS back in 2012, it had the SM5 manual transmission, more of a sporty ride than my current 2012 RT which has the SE5 (semi-automatic) transmission. If you're looking for a Sporty ride the old GS which they changed the name to RS is a good choice. The RT for me and my wife is WAY more comfortable. The newer 2014 and up Spyders have the 1330 3 cyl engine which has one more gear, lower operating rpm, better fuel range and economy and no expensive valve adjustments as rare as they are. Go to a dealer and sit and ride on all of them. Good luck and welcome.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Thanks all!
    I am not a daredevil by no means. I do have my license that I received from a Harley-Davidson dealership, but quickly learned 2 wheels wasn’t for me. I enjoy country riding and not as much in the city. I guess leisure riding. I want to think that the sit on would best suit me but then again I’ve never even sat on one. I’m not against buying used with some miles on it but how many is too many miles for the year and model? I do think that the Rykers are not my cup of tea though.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Most used can be found with 3K to 30K miles on them. Many on here are riding 100K or more miles. If well maintained...the higher miles make for a good ride.

There is no one year or engine that now are on a "watch out for" list that I know of.

Not to start a discussion or an argument...but Ryker is for a different kind of market. Many on here like them, but a much different ride than the RT or F3.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red