Spyder Garage

Default So My F3 gives off lots of heat from engine. Need suggestions

So I have been wearing shorts on rides, but yesterday the temps hit 80's and I got a crap ton of heat from the engine on my lower legs by the ankles. SO I need some sort of pant.

Can you guys give suggestions on pants that will keep me cooler in the summer that are not jeans, etc?

I do not need all of that protection or anything like that

Spyder Garage

Hopefully someone will come along shortly with some suggestions for you, ac, but the issue is, everyone has different sensitivity levels, so what works for them may not work for you. I recently rode my F3-L (which model F3 do you have?), for 2 hours in 110 degrees, in normal jeans, and didn’t notice undue heat. Here’s hoping someone has something that will work for you

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hopefully someone will come along shortly with some suggestions for you, ac, but the issue is, everyone has different sensitivity levels, so what works for them may not work for you. I recently rode my F3-L (which model F3 do you have?), for 2 hours in 110 degrees, in normal jeans, and didn’t notice undue heat. Here’s hoping someone has something that will work for you

Pete
    I have a 2016 F3-T

Spyder Garage

I wear mesh riding pants in summer.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Well, it's water cooled so you have a tea kettle exhausting heat right in front of your legs. All Can Ams and large motorcycles have this problem to a certain degree. I see many HD riders in shorts and I have never been able to understand how they stand it. Either their legs must be cocked wide apart or they are only traveling a mile or two. The heat from a water cooled engine seems to be worse than an air cooled one but that is just my experience.

You won't feel it as much on a fully faired machine such as a Gold Wing or probably a RT. The F3, however has no provision to duct the hot air away. My solution is to wear riding pants or jeans (and boots).
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

The main reason I installed an RLS cat delete was to eliminate the heat from the cat. You might want to do that too. Nice throaty sound and no louder.
    Decades of touring taught me that when riding in extreme temps (either hot or cold) I wear longies under my pants. That does wonders for reflecting heat or cold. Lately, I wear Cycle Gear Heat-Out / Freeze-Out because THEY WORK!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob204bc View Post
    . I see many HD riders in shorts and I have never been able to understand how they stand it. Either their legs must be cocked wide apart or they are only traveling a mile or two.
    Being a saloon bike, that's usually the extent of it. I do have a few HD riders who will join us for longer rides and they do complain about the heat. Baker has a set of leg wings, but I have no data on them.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jeans with boots will be cooler than shorts. Mesh riding pants will help but the boots will keep you cooler.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

No exposed skin in the sun, skin cancer is a mean killer. You don't want to have to mess with it. This from a cancer patient - not melanoma.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Get out of town and get some hurricane force winds blowing past your legs. They will stay cool enough. I ride when it is over 100 degrees and the heat doesn't bother me at all.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver