Spyder Garage

Default Trying to decrease front dipping/scrapping.

I have a 2018 F3 limited. The front end scrapes at times going in and out of gas stations, parking lots and some times pull over spots. I know others have experienced similar.

I so far just have the stock tires and shocks on it. The manual says max tire pressure for fronts at 17psi and I have mine cold at 16.5. Can I go higher and would it help the scrape problem?

My other thought was tightening the front shocks a bit? Hubby says it is easy to do but in doing so it could change the alignment?

Just trying to think what may help. BTW my tool kit doesn't have the shock adjuster wrench in it... Did I loose mine or did it not come in the tool kit?

Thanks for the advice

Spyder Garage

The first thing I would do is be certain that when entering/leaving the places you say where your F3 scrapes is to approach/depart at the sharpest angle possible so that both front wheels don't hit the dip at the same time. I have to do that leaving my driveway and it works every time. I doubt that 1/2 lb psi increase in front tires would solve the problem but there's know harm in trying.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I think most of us just got a 'bump skid' from Spyderpops and don't worry about it much any more.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

with Jaybros. That includes speed bumps.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Check your ride height empty (nose to floor measurement). Then check your ride height with whatever loading you have when you are experiencing ground strikes. If the ride height is significantly less loaded, I would suggest getting spring pre-load adjustment on your shocks. With pre-load adjustment capabilities, you can maintain original ride height no matter what the loading. It also helps compensate dynamically for the additional mass which tends to make the front of the Spyder dip more severely than it should.

There are a few different ways to achieve this adjust-ability.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Does your F3 have adjustable rear shock? Because lowering the rear lifts the front.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

My rear shock is self leveling. Rear tire is at minumim psi per manual. Measured clearance on flat surface and it is 3.5 inches. With me sitting on it hubby stated "way less" (I think he was afraid to tell me the clearance like it was my weight or something... lol... ). So we definately need to tighten the suspension.

Hubby was wondering if the sachs shocks are reverse threaded?

Thanks for the advice on taking questionable ares at an angle. I also have found it helpful to do all the breaking before the area.

Spyder Garage

My suggestion is to watch where your going, slow down for driveways going in or out and stretch your angle more.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

hi paula
    i have a 2016 f3 lim and the distance from ground to the top chrome point is 380mm

this height on my bike is standard for under chassis clearance

if you need more clearance then,as baja ron says,you can adjust your shocks to suit

when you wind your shocks up,you will not affect your wheel alignment

but you will affect your camber

here is how i measure camber

take a square board(anything really)and place next to wheel
    then measure the distance from the bottom and compare it with the distance at the top.....if top distance is greater,then you can wind the shock up more
    wind up until both top and bottom distances are equal then stop(the left shock affects the right side camber)

more weight on the bike will give -ve camber...eg top lays in(you can jack the bike up more)

once the front wheels are square(at 90 degrees to the ground)then you cant wind the shock up anymore

some people wrongly assume that winding up the front shock will stiffen the ride
    what it does in reality,is to raise the front of the bike

hope this helps

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    hi paula
    i have a 2016 f3 lim and the distance from ground to the top chrome point is 380mm

this height on my bike is standard for under chassis clearance

if you need more clearance then,as baja ron says,you can adjust your shocks to suit

when you wind your shocks up,you will not affect your wheel alignment

but you will affect your camber

here is how i measure camber

take a square board(anything really)and place next to wheel
    then measure the distance from the bottom and compare it with the distance at the top.....if top distance is greater,then you can wind the shock up more
    wind up until both top and bottom distances are equal then stop(the left shock affects the right side camber)

more weight on the bike will give -ve camber...eg top lays in(you can jack the bike up more)

once the front wheels are square(at 90 degrees to the ground)then you cant wind the shock up anymore

some people wrongly assume that winding up the front shock will stiffen the ride
    what it does in reality,is to raise the front of the bike

hope this helps

russ
    Sorry Russ, Can Am Spyder are notorious for bump steer effect. Any raising or lowering of the chassis will induce a toe change, which is a change in alignment.

Adding spring preload does not change spring rate, but will change spring force at full extension, full compression, and intermediate points.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Sorry Russ, Can Am Spyder are notorious for bump steer effect. Any raising or lowering of the chassis will induce a toe change, which is a change in alignment.

Adding spring preload does not change spring rate, but will change spring force at full extension, full compression, and intermediate points.
    You are correct. Though there is a range within which alignment is not seriously affected. That is why I recommend maintaining ride height instead of lifting the front of the Spyder. Of course, when you maintain original ride height, you are 'Lifting' the front of the Spyder from its collapsed state when loaded. It's really a very simple concept. The combination of recovered ride height (increased effective ground clearance) and stiffer spring action reducing downward movement when contact is made with an incline, makes a huge difference. It increases stability and usually eliminates ground strikes even if you are not careful.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-09-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Paula, have you found an answer? I have the same yr model spyder and SAME problem. We always ride 2 up. I tried to lengthen shocks but could not break the adj. Nuts free. I do have skid plate because the botton of nose was getting torn up. From skid plate to road i have 2.95 inches clearance. Not enough.
    Have you solved the problem?

Spyder Garage

taller tires?
    2018 F3s, 2016 versys 650LT, 2001 concours 1000

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    .... > snip < .....

Hubby was wondering if the sachs shocks are reverse threaded?

No but the locknnuts are very tight you need a couple of c spanners to crack the varmints.Amazon has heaps.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-11-2020 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mully View Post
    taller tires?
    Really not necessary. Adjusting the shock pre-load to maintain empty ride height is all that is really needed. It not only recovers lost ground clearance. It also reduces suspension collapse when hitting a bump or inclined surface like a driveway approach.