Spyder Garage

Default What Upgrade Amp/Sub/Speakers for 2017 RT?

Looking to upgrade the stereo on my Spyder RT. I want it to boom with clear volume.
    What can I get?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-06-2020 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Prefix (not engine related) & Title clarification

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbsce View Post
    Looking to upgrade the stereo on my Spyder RT. I want it to boom with clear volume.
    What can I get?
    Your 17 is the same as my 14 ( radio wise ) .... I completely cured this issue by swapping out the OEM speakers for 2 ohm JBL - GTO models ... even got 5.25 in. in the rear without to much trouble .... and no Amp needed ... I can hear mine at 85 mph, clear, clean and loud ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Why 2 ohm? Are the stock speakers 2 ohm? Do you know the model numbers you used for each location?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyBuickDealer View Post
    Why 2 ohm? Are the stock speakers 2 ohm? Do you know the model numbers you used for each location?

Thanks
    From the info I received from JBL, 2 ohm speakers have less resistance .... using them ( in effect ) would be almost the same as doubling the power delivered from whatever amp the stereo has ..... When I did the swap ( going with 5.25" for the rear ) back in 2014, I got a lot of blow-back from some of the members here ..... But I decided the folks who MADE the speakers had more knowledge..... JBL ( Harmon Kardon ) is one the oldest and largest manufactures of audio speakers. .... Folks have been swapping their 4 ohm Car speakers for 2 ohm JBL's for decades.... with out any issues ..... The stock speakers ( BRP ) are 4 ohm .... dropping to 2 ohm has no bad effect ..... My JBL system has been used for about 42,000 mi. ( 6 yrs. now ) .... Soooooo what did I achieve , clearer, cleaner, sound at twice the volume that the OEM speakers had.... and I did get just a bit more Bass ( a 5.25" cone can't give much, but more than a 4.15" -OEM rear can ) ..... Mine are now older versions of what is sold today ... I bought GTO 528's ( front ) and GTO 508c's ( for rear ) .... I still them ( un-used old stock ) for sale on Flea-bay at much less than MSRP with usually free shipping ..... to use a 5.25" in the rear the oem hole has to made 4 5/8" diameter - easy to do with a coarse stone and a Dremel tool..... quite a few folks here did it any were happy they did .... If you do this .... do all FOUR speakers, or don't do it .... Why - if you listen to a Symphony orchestra and someone hits a bad note - that is what you will remember - not all the good notes ..... good luck ..... a member here " beadaholic " did it and posted pics and a video in Her Mods page ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Gotcha! It appears they are now the "JBL GTO529 5-1/4" 270W GTO Series 2-Way Car Audio Speakers" which are 3 ohm and a little deeper in mounting depth. Sale price is $79.99 per pair on the Techronics website. The 528's are discontinued and not available. Thanks for the info and Ideas

Spyder Garage

Gotcha! It appears they are now the "JBL GTO529 5-1/4" 270W GTO Series 2-Way Car Audio Speakers" which are 3 ohm and a little deeper in mounting depth. Sale price is $79.99 per pair on the Techronics website. The 528's are discontinued and not available. Thanks for the info and Ideas
    That one ohm is going to change what the output will be .... It's still a well constructed speaker but it won't play as loud ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Are the front OEM speakers 5.25"?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    Are the front OEM speakers 5.25"?
    On the RT's - yes .... at least thru 2018 ..... 19 & 20 I can't say for sure ..... mike

Spyder Garage

Just found the 528's here. $49.95/pr.

https://www.harmanaudio.com/jbl/GTO528_.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    On the RT's - yes .... at least thru 2018 ..... 19 & 20 I can't say for sure ..... mike
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Just found the 528's here. $49.95/pr.

https://www.harmanaudio.com/jbl/GTO528_.html

Sold out

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    Sold out
    That's why the price is low. What I don't understand is, if they are sold out, why don't they post it and save customers time. In this case, I don't think they are still in production, why not just remove them from the webwsite?
    Oh, that's right. If I can get you to bite, maybe I can sell you something else.

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike, I just took ownership of a 2019 RT Limited. I am looking to replace all six speakers and have read many posts about JBL and J&Ms. Am i able to fit 5.25” speakers in all four locations in front? I believe they fit both locations in rear. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pkfavale View Post
    Hi Mike, I just took ownership of a 2019 RT Limited. I am looking to replace all six speakers and have read many posts about JBL and J&Ms. Am i able to fit 5.25” speakers in all four locations in front? I believe they fit both locations in rear. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul
    In 2018 ( and then 19 & 20 ) the BRP radio system changed .... It is now integrated into the dash cluster .... I believe it was " rattlebars " that put JBL 2 ohm speakers into His Spyder .... He said it didn't do anything .....To the best of my knowledge speakers don't know what the source producing the signal is ...... From all here who swapped to 2 ohm speakers in RT's 14 thru 17, they agree the swap was worth doing it ... If for no other reason than the JBL's & J&M's are much better constructed the the OEM " RSI " speakers. ...... I don't " GUESS " about Mods, so if I can't say for sure about something I don't recommend them ...... Good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Are both JBL and JMs waterproof? Also, do you know what model speaker (for both makes) would fit my setup? I believe they are 4” and 5.25 inch. Thanks in advance.