Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire Question

Wanted to get the Altimax RT43 to replace the Kendra rear tire on my RTS-SM6. But can't find it in the exact same size as original. I notice here on the forum some have deviated a bit in tire size from the original. Would altering size not cause computer, ABS etc. type problems? Thanks for any input!
    Stick
    P.S. Finally giving up on the Kendra tires. Two rears at 7500 miles each is quite enough!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run the 215/60R15 and have for years. No trouble with ABS or anything else.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Ann!

Spyder Garage

Yup. 215/60/15 works great and gets your speedometer within 1/2 mph of actual. I had that tyre on my 2010 RT, and now on the 2016 RT. You'll love it!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Two rears at 7500 miles each is quite enough!
    I read this many times but don't really understand why. I'm just ready to turn 7200 miles on my Kenda rear and seriously, you can't see any wear on it. Still looks almost new. Admittedly I drive easy, ride solo, never two-up and keep 30psi cold in it, but still, how can you wear out a rear tire, even a Kenda, in 7500 miles? Beats me

PS: don't slay the messenger . . . I'm telling you the truth . . . . I can post pics if necessary
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Hi Rider - don't know what to tell ya. I too ride solo, easy riding senior, run about 28 lbs., and twice now I've gotten only 7500 miles per rear tire. A dealer told me that is exactly the mileage the manufacturer predicts for the Kendra. You're having better luck, to be sure, but I'm moving on. With Ann and Mazo's response above, I'm gonna give the Altimax a try. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    I read this many times but don't really understand why. I'm just ready to turn 7200 miles on my Kenda rear and seriously, you can't see any wear on it. Still looks almost new. Admittedly I drive easy, ride solo, never two-up and keep 30psi cold in it, but still, how can you wear out a rear tire, even a Kenda, in 7500 miles? Beats me

PS: don't slay the messenger . . . I'm telling you the truth . . . . I can post pics if necessary
    You obviously got VERY lucky and got one of the rare good Kenda tires. Most people get about 8500 and have to replace. I got just under 8000 with both the Kendas I had and replaced with Generals....Ride on em til ya can't no more...LOL
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My Kendra was shot at 7200 on the dot. I rode very easy too. I replaced mine with 215/60R15 Altimax. Awesome tire!

Spyder Garage

Pics of my odo and rear tire - pic is a little deceiving, tire shows almost no wear. Also, I did a laser alignment just after delivery (yes, it was out of alignment from the factory). I keep the two fronts at 19psi cold and they also show almost no wear. Maybe the newer Kendas are lasting longer . . mine is a 2019.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Kenda, and BRP probably, have gone back and forth on the rubber compound used in them. Early tires got good mileage, then for several years the compound was softer and that's when the 7000+ mileage started showing up. I'm not sure when they changed back to a harder compound but the newer tires are generally getting mileage such as you have. We're waiting for some users to post their experiences with the new after market Kenda Kanine. It's possible that the same rubber is being used in both the OEM tires and the Kanines.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Wanted to get the Altimax RT43 to replace the Kendra rear tire on my RTS-SM6. But can't find it in the exact same size as original. I notice here on the forum some have deviated a bit in tire size from the original. Would altering size not cause computer, ABS etc. type problems? Thanks for any input!
    Yep, deviation is the case. Almost no one makes a car tire in the OEM Spyder size. Our choice has been the OEM Kenda or similar crappy tire in the OEM size, or a good car tire in a non-OEM size. Nanny can readily tolerate some variation in tire size, at least for sure within the range that will physically fit a Spyder. The larger diameter brings the speedometer reading closer to actual speed. If you really want to learn all about this, and get bleary eyed doing it, search car tires here on the forum. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of posting about all things car tire!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Yep, deviation is the case. Almost no one makes a car tire in the OEM Spyder size. Our choice has been the OEM Kenda or similar crappy tire in the OEM size, or a good car tire in a non-OEM size. Nanny can readily tolerate some variation in tire size, at least for sure within the range that will physically fit a Spyder. The larger diameter brings the speedometer reading closer to actual speed. If you really want to learn all about this, and get bleary eyed doing it, search car tires here on the forum. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of posting about all things car tire!
    " some varition " ???? .... in reality there is no tire made that will fit an OEM spyder that will cause a Nanny issue - period ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

hi lifelong
    difficult to see in your pic but its looking pretty close to the wear bars
    the tyre wears the middle 2inches,and the outside looks meaty,fooling you into thinking it isnt worn
    tyre middle wears due to centrifugal ballooning,not inflation pressure(personal experience having tried various pressures)so its difficult to control
    you find out its worn,tho,when it rains and you aquaplane

to be safe,best to have tyre inspected by tyre service centre
    stay safe
    russ

this tyre has 5000kms or 3100miles
    you can just make out the increased wear towards the middle
    i will be refitting this tyre as it has another 3000 or so kms left in it
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, guys and gals. Much appreciated. Very helpful!
    Stick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    hi lifelong
    difficult to see in your pic but its looking pretty close to the wear bars
    the tyre wears the middle 2inches,and the outside looks meaty,fooling you into thinking it isnt worn
    tyre middle wears due to centrifugal ballooning,not inflation pressure(personal experience having tried various pressures)so its difficult to control
    you find out its worn,tho,when it rains and you aquaplane

to be safe,best to have tyre inspected by tyre service centre
    stay safe
    russ

this tyre has 5000kms or 3100miles
    you can just make out the increased wear towards the middle
    i will be refitting this tyre as it has another 3000 or so kms left in it

Altho when you look at Merlot's pic (above) be aware that the 'bar' you can see in the foreground is NOT a tread wear bar - the actual tread wear bars in that pic are just visible up near the top of the tire, showing that there is still a little wear left in that tire.... that said, I don't think there's as much as 3000 km or so left in it, especially not for our (approaching) winter, or Russ's winter down in the far South of Australia in the wild & wet areas of Tasmania where he habitually resides (& rydes!)

So check those (proper) tread wear bars LifeLong, you might not have as much tire left as you think!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

No harm to the messenger. Where you ride and how you ride make a huge difference in tire wear. I got 6000 out of the original Kenda and I was surprised I got that many miles. Here in my riding territory the roads are crooked and I ride hard. Lots of G-forces, tire spin, and giggles. That is how you get less than 7500 miles from a Kenda. I went through my first Altimax in 20,000.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " some varition " ???? .... in reality there is no tire made that will fit an OEM spyder that will cause a Nanny issue - period ..... Mike
    W e l l l l l l l l l !! I did say "at least for sure within the range that will physically fit a Spyder."

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Roads have a lot to do with it also. When I was in California and still riding Harley's I could only get about 7,000 miles on the stock Dunlop 402 and usually went to a different brand. Once I ,oved to Oklahoma and had to have new tires I was new to the area and the only place I could find was a Harley dealer and he put 402's on it and I got over 15,000 miles on them. The way I rode didn't change so all I could think was different was the roads. That being said I got a 2019 Spyder RT Limited in October and I have over 7,700 miles on it now with the original tire and it is still going strong, just waiting to go to the Dark Side.
    2019 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    You obviously got VERY lucky and got one of the rare good Kenda tires. Most people get about 8500 and have to replace. I got just under 8000 with both the Kendas I had and replaced with Generals....Ride on em til ya can't no more...LOL
    I got 5,824 miles on the OEM rear tire. It was a Kenda.

Since then I went with the General.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Kenda, and BRP probably, have gone back and forth on the rubber compound used in them. Early tires got good mileage, then for several years the compound was softer and that's when the 7000+ mileage started showing up. I'm not sure when they changed back to a harder compound but the newer tires are generally getting mileage such as you have. We're waiting for some users to post their experiences with the new after market Kenda Kanine. It's possible that the same rubber is being used in both the OEM tires and the Kanines.
    When I bought my 2014 RTS-SE6 the end of July( which was brand new) I put on 5,824 miles on the Kenda rear tire. It was not safe to drive at the time, Mike(Blueknight911) even said it was not safe to drive. Also, he recommended to me the General Altimax RT 43 tire for the rear tire.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H is what I have on my '14 RT-S SM6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QL6DWS
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Who put the General on? The dealership here will not put anything on but what they sell

Spyder Garage

No one is questioning your veracity.
    Nevertheless, your experience is most unique.
    Almost all of us have gotten around 7K miles off the stock Kenda tires.
    Kenda has recently come out with new Kanine tires as a response to complaints about the longevity of their tires.
    There's not a lot of experience with these yet.
    I'm just speculating, perhaps you have a Kanine ??
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

My 2019 RT now has 7,000 + miles and the rear kenda looks great. I think what we have here is the rubber content has been hardened over what it was in the past. I'm almost disappointed because I am looking forward to going to the dark side with different tires.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ISPYD View Post
    Who put the General on? The dealership here will not put anything on but what they sell
    I just had the local tire guy install mine. I took the wheel off and took it to him, as most do.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White