Spyder Garage

Default Bought a new toy

It was time. My old lawn mower was 15 years old. Still works ok. My wife was not real kean on the idea, but i bought a new zero turn mower. This is my first zero turn. I practiced in my driveway yesterday morning. It will take some practice. I went from a 42" deck to a 54" deck. I was going to purchase a Dixie Chopper. My local BRP dealer was not selling them this year. So i bought a Husqvarna, Z254F. I have about 3 acreas to mow. Hopefully, i can cut my mowing time down from 4 hours to 2-3 hours. This will give me more time for ryding the Spyder. Oh yeah, saw my first Spyder on the road Saturday. Did i do ok by purchasing a Husky? Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Husky has always had a reputation for building quality stuff.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

You did good!
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

We switched to a zero turn a couple of years ago. The wife was very much against it, said they were weird. She does the grass cutting. I played in the yard with it, mowed some grass. Once she got on it and learned how intuitive it was to use she took off, won't ever go back. We cut about 3-1/2 acres, used to take 4 to 4-1/2 hours, now takes about 2-1/2 hours. Very much worth the switch.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    It was time. My old lawn mower was 15 years old. Still works ok. My wife was not real kean on the idea, but i bought a new zero turn mower. This is my first zero turn. I practiced in my driveway yesterday morning. It will take some practice. I went from a 42" deck to a 54" deck. I was going to purchase a Dixie Chopper. My local BRP dealer was not selling them this year. So i bought a Husqvarna, Z254F. I have about 3 acreas to mow. Hopefully, i can cut my mowing time down from 4 hours to 2-3 hours. This will give me more time for ryding the Spyder. Oh yeah, saw my first Spyder on the road Saturday. Did i do ok by purchasing a Husky? Bruce
    All I know is I don't see very many, if any, commercial lawn care people riding Husky's. Husqvarna owns probably about 60% of the lawn care equipment business under several brands like MTD. I bought a Hustler ZTR 3 or 4 years ago to replace the Crapsman riding mower I had. All I can say is a ZTR goes a long way toward transforming a chore into fun!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I switched to one about 2 years ago. I had an older Scotts (orange JD) that was going on about 20 years old and I got tired of having to patch it up every few months so after a bit of research we went and got an Ariens Ikon 52. It didn't take any time to get familiar with it except to be mindful that it doesn't do as well on any sort of hills and that it can loose traction on parts of the ground that tend to stay wet (We live on a tidal creek that can and does flood).

I have no experience with the Huskys, but they looked to be pretty good as well. That was as HD. The other brand that Lowes was pushing at the time was Hustler. With any of the non commercial zero turn machines you have to be kind to the transmissions, they dont tend to take that much abuse, so limit how much of a load you try to tow with them. On my old tractor, I used it to move a boat trailer and pull plants out of the ground. I wouldn't dare take that chance with this new zero.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy it !

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a husky 42", but I only have about 3/4 acre to mow. I was considering getting a zero turn to mow the 2 acres that I have at another house in Roxboro. But I found a local guy who mows it for $60. Considering I would have to drive 1 hour each way, and then mow the 2 acres, it didn't make sense to not take my buddy up on his offer. He weedeats and everything.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you bought a good one. I look forward to my weekly grass cutting. Gives me some nice "think" time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

turbo v8?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

My lawn mower is 45 years old Lawn Boy and still going strong. I call it "Old Smokey" cuz it has a two-stoke engine. It's just a push type, which suffices as we don't have a lot of grass to mow.
    Maybe I should donate it to a museum and get one of them new fangled battery electrics.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    With any of the non commercial zero turn machines you have to be kind to the transmissions, they dont tend to take that much abuse, so limit how much of a load you try to tow with them.
    From what I could find I think all the consumer versions of ZTR use the same hydrostatic drive units. What's interesting is that when I was looking to buy one, Hustler was the only one that flat out advertised you can do sidehill mowing, up to 15° I think. About 1/2 of my 1/4 acre yard is sidehill. I don't know if the drive units in the Hustler are beefier than others,or if that was just a marketing ploy. But it works pretty decently on the sidehill I have.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Maybe I should donate it to a museum and get one of them new fangled battery electrics.
    A friend of mine bought the Lowes branded one a year or so ago. He's really happy with how well it works.

If you ever experience chest pains while mowing, even if it's just walking behind a self-propelled one so you're not stressing yourself, get to the doc or ER. It could be a sign of angina and eventual heart attack. Ask me how I know!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

We bought a Bad Boy 60" ZTR in May 2011. I have about 280 hours on it to date. I use it at my shop. It has to mow ~3 acres with two buildings and several power poles. It takes about 2.5 hrs. per mow.

I have had two issues that are not due to Bad Boy's product, but they are the result of poor quality control of two items selected by Bad Boy. First, my Kohler 725cc 27hp V-Twin motor leaks oil from on of the valve covers. Second, one of the two Hydro-Gear ZT-3100 transaxles leaks hydro fluid (actually, motor oil). Both are due to quality control at the respective factories.

I don't think I would buy another Bad By. But, I love ZTR mowers!!!

I have been looking at a Hustler Raptor Limited for our house's lawn.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    My lawn mower is 45 years old Lawn Boy and still going strong. I call it "Old Smokey" cuz it has a two-stoke engine. It's just a push type, which suffices as we don't have a lot of grass to mow.
    Nope, that is likely worth more now than when new to a collector.
    And yes, old LB mowers are collectible.