Spyder Garage

Default Hard starting when hot & odd noises... Fuel pump???

OK My 2014 ST SM5 Has been doin this funny thing for years.I am gettin a bit concerned about it since it does it alot more as of late. When its hot.....I turn the key on n let it do its thing b/4 I turn it over. OK...It makes a grindin sound on the right side sittin on it.Then it is slow to fire off.Takes a few seconds n then it just barley runs for a few seconds.The throttle is unresponsive durnin this 3 to 4 second time. Then when it catches up it spudders for a few more seconds b/4 it gets to normal. It only makes the sound n does this when its at running temp.When its cold it dont make the sound n cranks up normally. Im thinkin fuel pump? Any info would be very appreciated. TYIA Tony <3

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The V-twins have hoses to the throttle body, that are rubber and will develop microscopic cracks in a few years ..... I agree it may be your fuel pump , but do you still have the original hoses ???? .... if you do think about re-placing with silicone ones .... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check here if you need a pump...Lifetime warranty and under $100.00...

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23904...UaAg5eEALw_wcB

Spyder Garage

Default OK...Posted this on the ST Part. Did not get much info.SO Ima try it here.

OK My 2014 ST SM5 Has been doin this funny thing for years.I am gettin a bit concerned about it since it does it alot more as of late. When its hot.....I turn the key on n let it do its thing b/4 I turn it over. OK...It makes a grindin sound on the right side sittin on it.Then it is slow to fire off.Takes a few seconds n then it just barley runs for a few seconds.The throttle is unresponsive durnin this 3 to 4 second time. Then when it catches up it spudders for a few more seconds b/4 it gets to normal. It only makes the sound n does this when its at running temp.When its cold it dont make the sound n cranks up normally. Im thinkin fuel pump? Any info would be very appreciated. TYIA Tony <3

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    I'm led to think this could be Starter related, mechanical or possibly electrical ( bad/loose connection ) .... Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

1.) Bike when Hot make grinding sound for a second on right side? Mike may be on to something relays i.e. starter, fan and other item starting to use power because the bike is hot. Also I'm not sure about your parking brake set up I have a motor on the right side that works the brake on and off. (fuel pump is not impossible but not usually when hot)

2.) Slow start when Hot? As stated above fan and other item are going to work right away using a lot of power and this may get worse as the battery gets older also. This may cause the starter and the rest of the ignition system to get less power.

So I would look at battery and battery load, ground and other connections at the battery and ground areas.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I would check the battery. I had a car that would not start when it was hot, turned out one of the cells in the battery was shorted .

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just replaced my battery on my 2014 RTS. 1st replacement. I was pleasantly surprised at the difference it made. Compared to now with the new battery, my bike was sluggish. I’m no mechanic, but personally I think a lot of the problems we encounter are power related, whether it’s a worn out battery, poor ground or loose connections. Just my 2 cents.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 STS. It has the original battery.
    It has just taken on the symptoms expressed by the OP.
    Slow to start and runs rough for 20 seconds after start.
    I plan to change the battery later this week. And yes I will use star washers
    at all battery connections.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

OK....It is a gurggling sound and it comes from the fuel tank. My battery is very strong. Yesterday I removed the fuel cap when it made the noise n it cranked right up like normal. Im thinkin maybe vapor lock?????????? Ill try my theory again today.TY All for the info. PEACE <3

Spyder Garage

Vapor lock would do it. Have you done the cannisterectoy? I'd recommend it. My 2013 STSLTD was slow to start on long rides also. I watched a video (Finless Bob?) about doing the bypass. ALso at the same time I put in BajaRons plug & wire set. Started & ran like a scalded dog after that. One very odd instance I ran across was on a friend's 2013ST, it would buck a bit at idle, and be rough taking off. Only had 3K miles on it. Turned out to be a cracked plug! Never have seen anything like it. Of course it took 3 hours, several beverages and cussing to finagle that stupid air box off. Finally - if you are in there looking grab some 5mmOD x 3MMID *silicon* tubing (I got from Amazon for a few bucks) and replace the three vacuum hoses on left side. Be sure to cut to same length. They crack and when hot get worse.

Spyder Garage

When you released the gas cap, the bike started better. This happened to me. It was the purge valve. As mentioned above, a cannisterectoy might resolve issue or change the purge valve.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

OK....Where is the purge valve on an ST?

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    OK....Where is the purge valve on an ST?
    Tonyo try looking at this https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...light=canister tells you how to fix purge problem. let me know if that is what you are looking for.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

OK Did the cannisterectoy.....Best dang thing ive done for this machine! Fixed the problem for less than 10 bucks. Wish I had done it years ago!

Spyder Garage

OK Did the cannisterectoy.....Best dang thing ive done for this machine! Fixed the problem for less than 10 bucks. Wish I had done it years ago!