Thread: hitch harness?

Spyder Garage

Default hitch harness?

Does anyone have Can am Spyder accessories wiring plug n play harness for an F3T or L. 2018 up. On his sight it shows the harness is a 10 pin connecter. There is no 10 pin connector on my bike that I can find. Just a 16 pin connector. Or a 6 pin and a 4 pin. a picture would be nice. There is also one from Trailer ETC. same setup. My trailer is flat 4 connector.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Here are some pics of the harness from my 2018 F3T, I have a 16 pin connector on my F3.

IMG_4950.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_4953.jpg
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Here are some pics of the harness from my 2018 F3T, I have a 16 pin connector on my F3.

IMG_4950.jpg
    Male and Female Connectors

IMG_4951.jpg
    Harness with part number, the Gray 6 pin connector connect to the control module.

IMG_4953.jpg
    Location of where the wiring harness connects, disconnect the factory cable and install the harness in line.

I hope this is what you are looking for.
    [B]

Spyder Garage

That is what I have for the connector. What hitch harness is that. I need one to go to a flat four. Looking for someone who has one like that.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    That is what I have for the connector. What hitch harness is that. I need one to go to a flat four. Looking for someone who has one like that.
    I believe if you go back to Pierre's site you will see the different products listed by Spyder model year. He uses the same picture and install video for all four even though the 2018/19 harness is different. I'm sure you would get the right one if you make sure you order the one for your 2018. The 2018 & 19 Y harness is the same as for the RT.

The one big downside of Pierre's unit is that it is a 5 to 4 wire converter, not an isolater. If your F3 is like the RT, and I think it is, the tailights are powered through the cluster with no fuse protection between the cluster and tail lights. If you get a short in the trailer light wiring you may, only MAY because I don't know, cause a problem with the cluster, an $800+ part. An isolator uses a separate power source to power the trailer lights. If you want to play it super safe buy the BRP Y harness and the BRP isolator (module). The parts numbers are in the installation instruction for the BRP hitch, https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAs&uact=5 The module is available on eBay. It's made exclusively by Hopkins for BRP and not available from Hopkins. The Y harness is available from Spyder dealers, or maybe even Amazon. You can get all three parts from Can-Am dealers.

Cut the trailer connector off the module and splice on a flat four wire trailer harness you can get at any auto parts store. Or, buy the BRP trailer harness, part # in the instructions, and modify or replace the square connector with a flat four.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You need the Control Module which will connect to the 6 pin connector on the Spyder side and the other side of the module will be the 4 wires to the Trailer.

The items in the first 3 picture below are from a RT 2013 Trailer kit, which I didn't use. When I purchased my 2010 RT622 trailer in 2012 it came with the round 9 pin connector. I ordered a hitch and received the new hitch that came with the 4 pin square connector. I sent it back and ordered a hitch kit that supported the 9 pin round connector, which I used on my 2011 and 2014 RT's with no problems. I should have kept the first kit and converted the trailer to support the 4 pin square connector. The pictures below are from the 2013 Hitch kit before I returned the kit.

These 2 items seem to be the common item with the trailer kits. The item that is specific to the Spyder is the Spyder trailer wiring harness which depends on which model Spyder you have.

IMG_0587.jpg
    Control Module and wiring

IMG_0593.jpg
    Cable to Trailer

IMG_0604.jpg
    Control module is made by Hopkins

When I traded my 2014 RT for my F3T I kept the hitch, converted my trailer to a 4pin square but made up my own wiring harness using the same control module and connectors BRP uses. I did purchase the in line wiring harness from BRP.

Hopkins Trailer Kit.jpg
    Hopkins trailer kit
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Deutch DT 6 pin Connector.JPG
    6 pin connectors to connect to the Spyder

Deutch DT 4 pin Connector.JPG
    4 pin connectors that connects to the trailer

Hopkins 4 pin square connector kit.JPG
    4 pin square connector,

Hillman half inch Clamp_881294.JPG
    Clamp I reshaped to mount the square connector to the Spyder
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-P...-Clamp/3013245

Control Module Connector Wiring

6 pin side to Spyder
    1. White - Ground
    2. Brown - Running
    3. Red - Brake
    4. Green - Right Turn
    5. Yellow - Left Turn
    6. Red - Battery

4 pin side to Trailer
    1. White - Ground
    2. Brown - Running
    3. Left Turn/Brake
    4. Right Turn/Brake

I don't use my trailer a lot but I went on a week long trip without any issues.

Added Video on the Duestch connector insertion and removal of pins, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh9DxLeF3Hs
    Last edited by YIRYDE; 04-05-2020 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
    [B]

Spyder Garage

Canam Spyder accessories trailer harness is not power isolated. He uses a Hopkins module, but the wrong one. This is a better choice. It is power isolated and cheaper. https://traileretc.com/product/2018-...iring-harness/

The description says it is for 2018 and up RT. The connector is the same and will fit F3T and L.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Canam Spyder accessories trailer harness is not power isolated. He uses a Hopkins module, but the wrong one. This is a better choice. It is power isolated and cheaper. https://traileretc.com/product/2018-...iring-harness/

The description says it is for 2018 and up RT. The connector is the same and will fit F3T and L.
    I didn’t know this item existed, it could have saved me some labor but priced about the same as the one I fabricated.
    [B]

Spyder Garage

This is the one I want. So your saying 2018 and up RT and F3T and Limited all use the same harness. This would be the plug and play I'm looking for.

Spyder Garage

That's just the ticket, IF the connectors are 16 pin. The picture looks like it shows a 10 pin connector. JP, buy the one from traileretc if you can confirm with them that the connectors are 16 pin. Call or email them, don't trust the product page pic. OK, I just looked on the traileretc website. They use the same photo for both harnesses, 2010 to 2017, and 2018 up. JP call or write them if you want but I'm going to agree with Billy that is the harness you want. Sure wish their harness would have been available 6 years ago when I put the hitch on my 2013 RT.

This has been said before, but I'll repeat here to make sure we are all clear. All RTs up 2017 use a Y harness with 10 pin connectors. F3 T & L, all years, use the Y harness with 16 pin connectors. RTs, 2018 and later including 2020, use the Y harness with 16 pin connectors.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

This is the one I want. So your saying 2018 and up RT and F3T and Limited all use the same harness. This would be the plug and play I'm looking for.
    You've got it!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    I didn’t know this item existed, it could have saved me some labor but priced about the same as the one I fabricated.
    I built one for my STL some years ago. It's a lot easier now that BRP sells the Y-harness in their catalog for 39.99.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

In the BRP catalog it lists what they call the module harness for S39.99. That is the Y-harness that splices into the Spyder main harness. Same part number for 2018 and later RT, F3T and F3L

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

From the 2020 Catalog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I built one for my STL some years ago. It's a lot easier now that BRP sells the Y-harness in their catalog for 39.99.
    I agree which is why I built mine using the Hopkins module and Deutch connectors that BRP uses. It appears that BRP have different Y harnesses for the different models and years of Spyders. The control module and the cable (4 pin Square) to the trailer are the same.
    [B]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    I agree which is why I built mine using the Hopkins module and Deutch connectors that BRP uses. It appears that BRP have different Y harnesses for the different models and years of Spyders. The control module and the cable (4 pin Square) to the trailer are the same.
    Yes, that's correct. The downside is the price of the BRP trailer pigtail, around $100. You can buy a length 4 wire trailer wire with a 4 flat plug for probably $10 to $15 and the Deutch connector for about $5. Assembling the Deutch connector isn't difficult at all.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your help and great info. Talked to Trailer ETC. Have 16 pin harness to 4 pin flat on its way.