Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Removing the FM antenna?

I don't have a garage so I use a 1/2 cover. It has a hole for the FM antenna on the trunk (2018 RTL). The 1/2 cover tends to loosen up the rubber boot at the bottom of the antenna. Since I never listen to FM (I have an XM receiver), I've thought about removing the FM antenna. Obviously, I couldn't leave an open hole for water/dirt to get in. I haven't seen a rubber cover that would go over that hole.

Does anybody have any suggestions? The only thing I can think of would be to silicone a piece of rubber over the hole but that might look tacky and might fall off at an inopportune time. If I could find a rubber grommet large enough, I suppose I could put it in the hole then fill the middle with silicone although that might look tacky, too.

Spyder Garage

We have an Ace Hardware store here that has a big selection of rubber plugs. Our Lowes has a decent selection as well. Might be worth a look.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I don't have a garage so I use a 1/2 cover. It has a hole for the FM antenna on the trunk (2018 RTL). The 1/2 cover tends to loosen up the rubber boot at the bottom of the antenna. Since I never listen to FM (I have an XM receiver), I've thought about removing the FM antenna. Obviously, I couldn't leave an open hole for water/dirt to get in. I haven't seen a rubber cover that would go over that hole.

Does anybody have any suggestions? The only thing I can think of would be to silicone a piece of rubber over the hole but that might look tacky and might fall off at an inopportune time. If I could find a rubber grommet large enough, I suppose I could put it in the hole then fill the middle with silicone although that might look tacky, too.
    BRP sold a matching color COVER for that hole for my 2014 RT .... I think they still sell them .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Our Lowes has a decent selection as well. Might be worth a look.
    I love supporting Lowe's. (Could be because I work for them. )

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    BRP sold a matching color COVER for that hole for my 2014 RT .... I think they still sell them .... Mike
    Really? Any idea what I'd search for and/or where?

Spyder Garage

I love supporting Lowe's. (Could be because I work for them. )

Really? Any idea what I'd search for and/or where?
    I looked it up .... go to CHEAPCYCLEPARTS.COM .... go to Spyder /Ryker parts .... go to 2018 RT LTD SE6 .... go to the " CARGO " pic .... it's part #720 .... my 14 had them on both sides .... yours is only a LH part ...... look for your color ....... Mike ..... If you close to a dealer, I would get it from them .....

Spyder Garage

I bought the short antenna from Lamonster.
    It allows you to put the cover on and you don't have to cut a hole in the cover.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As Mike said, buy the one for the left side. You'll need to make some changes to the clips that hold it in place, but it should work OK.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, guys. I've now ordered 2. One for a 2014 then a 2nd for my 2018. Hopefully, 1 will work. I'll let ya'll know how things turn out.

Spyder Garage

hi Monk, I would like to get an XM receiver for my 2014 rt-s, what model do you have please? Thanks in advance.

2014 RT-S , Pearl white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the Onyx Plus. Make sure you buy it with the hardwired kit. I made the mistake of buying mine with the plug in car kit and had to buy the separate hardwire kit after. The XM receiver fits in the glove box.

I think BLUEKNIGHT911 has a 2014 so he might be able to tell you how to hook things up. I ran everything to the frank on my 2018. I think the 3.5mm jack is in the trunk on the pre 2018s but I could be wrong.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1 View Post
    hi Monk, I would like to get an XM receiver for my 2014 rt-s, what model do you have please? Thanks in advance.
    #1- I haven't paid more than $ 30.00 for six month subscription = $ 5.00 per ..... #2 - go to the Sirius website and see what types of plans they have... Some of the less expensive plans require a certain a certain model receiver..... #3 -I mounted the magnetic antennae to a small piece of sheet metal on the top of my rear trunk lid, it improved the reception a bit ..... Sirius uses the roof of a car as part of the reception calculation so anything can help you on a Spyder ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have the Onyx Plus. Make sure you buy it with the hardwired kit. I made the mistake of buying mine with the plug in car kit and had to buy the separate hardwire kit after. The XM receiver fits in the glove box.

I think BLUEKNIGHT911 has a 2014 so he might be able to tell you how to hook things up. I ran everything to the frank on my 2018. I think the 3.5mm jack is in the trunk on the pre 2018s but I could be wrong.
    Hi, that's me ..... I have pics of where my receiver is mounted in the Glovebox, I have been able to change stations because it's there ..... I was able to move the Jack from the rear to the glovebox by CAREFULLY stripping out the plug wire bundle from the main Harness attached to the radio .... which is located under the panel just below the right pass handgrip ....... Mike