Spyder Garage

Default Tickets for ryding in Maryland and other places??

An aquaintence of ours was pulled over in Maryland (in thier cage) and asked to justify why they were traveling on the road during a "lockdown." Because they were just out for a drive, they were ticketed for violation of the govenors' order to stay at home except for emergency or essential needs.

Is this true in other places? I would like to do some ryding druing the time were are forced to be locked down, and since I am completely covered and abiding by the social distancing, I do not see that this is a problem. However..... I can agree that technically ryding is not an essential task, and I doubt they would consider "wind therapy" to be a medical necessity. Maybe I could say it is a form of exercise (does mental gymnastics or jumping to conclusions or running late count as exercise??).

I live in the northwest corner of VA, and do most of my ryding in West VA, and PA, but to get to some of the nicer areas, I would have to cross through a small section of Maryland. Yes, it is mostly rural, but I would like to avoid hassles if at all possible.

Thoughts and experiences from those of you who have been out there during this time would be welcome.

Stay safe,

Mr Bill
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

This mess is going to very from state to state and probably from LEO to LEO. We are under the essentials only order here in Ohio, but bikes are out and there is traffic on the roads. Less than usual, but still traffic. Our problem is nothing is open except the essentials so nowhere to go except to get a bit of wind therapy. So far therapy hasn't been canceled here.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

If I understood the article in the Washington post a few days ago, driving was permitted in Virginia to go to grocery stores, medical appointments, Etc (the usual essentials), and "to relax". I take that last wording to mean that it should not be an issue if one were to be alone in ones vehicle just riding around as long as you weren't drawing any attention to yourself. I hope that driving/riding might be construed as being in the same category........
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

From the Washington Post article.....

In Maryland, state and local police have been instructed to enforce the order (stay at home except for the essentials, etc), Hogan said. Someone found to have violated the order would be considered guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to up to one year in prison, a fine of $5,000 or both. So, Maryland may be a no-no right now.

Virginia also has not banned interstate travel, but Northam, too, discouraged such trips and said those who leave the state — particularly to visit areas where there is severe community spread — should self-quarantine for 14 days. I guess we can ride around in Virginia.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

We are retired so this is not a hardship for us personally. We make and eat meals at home and go out to eat maybe once a week or less, however, we are patronizing restaurant carry-out at least 3-4 times a week until the forseeable future to help out the local businesses. Is that essential? I think it is.

Spyder Garage

In our town here in Wisconsin (population of 30K) the police are only making contact with civilians in emergencies. Minor things like missing license plates, etc. are being allowed, for the time being. The Interstate that runs through here has a lot of truck traffic which is a good sign we're still moving material such as food and other essentials. With all the people at home there is probably more foot traffic than cars in the residential areas. Never seen this many dogs walking their owners!

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

I am guessing most LEO's are going to avoid stopping cars just because they are driving somewhere. The less contact with the public, the better.

I also don't know how the scenario is going to pan out in the courts if they want to start enforcing edicts from various governors.

For most LEO's...it is not that slow of a day to do stuff like that.

I have also posted the following in some other similar threads:

IMO...each person has to consider the legal and moral implications of their actions.

That is way above my pay grade...so I am not going to try to justify any side of the argument.

Be safe, and avoid catching the virus.

IMO...there is no one "right" answer.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-05-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In Florida the stay at home is in effect until April 30, but going Fishing, Hunting, Boating, Hiking, Biking, Walking, and a whole list of other things are considered essential activities. If people are maintaining the 6 foot social distance rule and not gathering in crowds, nobody is bothering them. I have been riding alone on the back roads and not stopping anywhere except for gas, where I pay at the pump.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...ddm-story.html
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Takes a true ******* of a cop to do this! Ima ride n if one stops me ima tell him/her im goin to the damn grocery store! There is NO harm in us ridein unless we do it in groups. RIDEON PEACE <3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Attempting to answer this question is futile. The new rules come faster than we can type the present ones.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

well, I would think HERE in Va... I live here too. If I was stopped for any reason in my truck or spyder and the officer asked me WHY and where was I going in a lock down is a fare Question. Not that I would ever expect to get a ticket for JUST driving from one place to another.
    We happened to be in Quebec the day the boarder was closed and just two days before that ENTERED into Canada. At the boarder going north was asked WHY i was entering canada (Towing me enclosed trailer holding my Spyder) I told the agent it was MOTOR CYCLE REPAIR. Just so happens that I was heading to canamspyderaccessories to get items add to my new 2019 F3. He asked if I could have the work done else where, I said NO i drove 900 miles here. OK

but back to being stopped, three days ago I drove (spyder) into NC to New Bern to visit my OLDER brother, I had a thought what would say if stopped and asked what was I doing in NC. I would have told him the truth... I was going down to check on my brother 65 and wife 69.
    I stayed three hours, we stayed outside in chairs about 10 feet apart. I never entered his house. But he did come close enough to give me 2 cups of coffee.
    2012 , java

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    ......IMO...each person has to consider the legal and moral implications of their actions.

That is way above my pay grade...so I am not going to try to justify any side of the argument.

Be safe, and avoid catching the virus.

IMO...there is no one "right" answer.
    All true - But something else to consider is: With the enormous stress that our health system is dealing with, Is NOW the time that you want to end up in a hospital in case you have an accident? Like it or not, riding a spyder/motorcycle does introduce a higher level of physical risk than not riding. As you say, everyone has to make their own decisions on dealing with the current situation.

I don't think that it's too much to ask to stay home as much as possible. FWIW, for that reason, I just put my spyder back into "hibernation" for the time being. Hopefully, for not too long, of course. <shrug>
    Bert

Spyder Garage

You would think with the whole country trying to stay isolated from each other, that law enforcement would do all they could to avoid giving out tickets that would have to go to court. Give a warning and ask them to return home, maybe......... but giving a ticket for just being on the road seems over board.

Spyder Garage

I'm always headed to the grocery store to pick up a few items........No where does it say that you have to go to the closest one! Seriously though, riding will most likely involve a lot less social contact than being in a grocery store!

Spyder Garage

I am always headed to the grocery store too, but sometimes I get distracted and forget to go there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just put a small bag of non-perishable foodstuffs in your saddlebag, and tell the LEO you're just going HOME from the store. If he asks for proof... HAH!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Last I checked 1st says nothing about a virus or the other 9
    1st
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

2nd Don't leave home without proper protection
    {well where not prohibited by law , might want to try and get that changed}

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Here we go on that traveling thingie .again nothing bout a virus in there .

4th
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

5th
    No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

6th
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence

7th
    In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

8th
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted

9th
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people

10th
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

Rights lost or given up freely are ever voluntarily returned .

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default cops

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    Takes a true ******* of a cop to do this! Ima ride n if one stops me ima tell him/her im goin to the damn grocery store! There is NO harm in us ridein unless we do it in groups. RIDEON PEACE <3
    I'm an x-LEO, and just for the record individual officers are NOT the ones making this decision .... NON police officials are the ones who come up with these mandates ..... and they tell the Chief how this is going to be ..... IMHO , this is Marshall Law being foisted apon the public and frankly I think it's illegal..... Not everyone / anyone can Declare Marshall Law ..... there will be Court cases filed about this at some point ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Friend of mine who just moved to Fairfax, VA 2 weeks ago made the drive here in Greeneville, TN to pick up his 20' trailer. Did the entire trip today with no issues. Most all of it on the interstate. So I'm not sure what enforcement measures are actually being taken. I think everyone is right that it can vary greatly depending on location, what you're doing and the individual LEO.

I have a friend in the local county police force who says that they aren't going to enforce the 'Stay At Home' advisory. They just don't have the staff to do it. We are fairly rural with about 70k in the county. It's a big county for Tennessee.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The governor of Missouri set out a "Stay At Home" order this past Friday. If you're interested in the details you can enter Missouri Stay At Home Order in your search engine. --You can probably enter any state name and get info for that state.-- The portion applicable to this discussion is:

The Order does not prohibit Missourians from accessing essential services, such as grocery stores, gas stations, and banks, or engaging in outdoor recreation, provided that necessary precautions are taken and maintained to reduce the transmission of COVID-19, including observing the social gathering and social distancing requirements set forth in the Order. (Emphasis mine)

According to this order riding in your car, running, bicycling, etc.- which would include motorcycling- are OK as long as limited social gathering and distancing are observed.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    The governor of Missouri set out a "Stay At Home" order this past Friday. If you're interested in the details you can enter Missouri Stay At Home Order in your search engine. --You can probably enter any state name and get info for that state.-- The portion applicable to this discussion is:

The Order does not prohibit Missourians from accessing essential services, such as grocery stores, gas stations, and banks, or engaging in outdoor recreation, provided that necessary precautions are taken and maintained to reduce the transmission of COVID-19, including observing the social gathering and social distancing requirements set forth in the Order. (Emphasis mine)

According to this order riding in your car, running, bicycling, etc.- which would include motorcycling- are OK as long as limited social gathering and distancing are observed.
    The state of TN has an Order that is almost identical to that one. Just use some common sense and don't congregate and use the proper precautions to avoid contact with others.