Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Can Am key question

Hi All, Anyone figure out a way to attach a key chain to these Can Am keys? Keep misplacing mine. Could be I'm just getting old but I'm going to blame it on no key chain first:-) Thanks!! CR

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Rabbit View Post
    Hi All, Anyone figure out a way to attach a key chain to these Can Am keys? Keep misplacing mine. Could be I'm just getting old but I'm going to blame it on no key chain first:-) Thanks!! CR
    Aren't you using the key sheath which will attach to a key ring or chain?

Spyder Garage

You can't put a hole in the top, or your key won't work - the sheath is your only option.....

Spyder Garage

Lost one of the two that came with the Spyder. The cost to replace one key sleeve was $18.....a little plastic dohickey....unbelieveable!!

GlynnK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I guess the sheath is the only option. I was hoping someone made a cover that slipped over the head of the key where you could attach to. I'll have to see if I can create something. Thanks Everyone!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Rabbit View Post
    I guess the sheath is the only option. I was hoping someone made a cover that slipped over the head of the key where you could attach to. I'll have to see if I can create something. Thanks Everyone!

I could be wrong, but I thought effgjamis came up with something that went around the head of the key.

Spyder Garage

You can drill the key. Just use a very small bit. Drill on the out side edge. I did it on both of mine. I drilled in the little groove on the outside edge where the color goes from black to grey. Over a year and a half ,10,000 miles no problems. Just be carephpydvneZPM.jpgfull.
    Last edited by dabreitbach; 08-02-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    You can't put a hole in the top, or your key won't work - the sheath is your only option.....

you CAN drill a hole in the key drilled on right in the center of the gray it has worked fine. Rode thru rain and all that and have not had a problem with it, its a little tricky to get a ring on it but now it works great
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    you CAN drill a hole in the key drilled on right in the center of the gray it has worked fine. Rode thru rain and all that and have not had a problem with it, its a little tricky to get a ring on it but now it works great
    VERY HAPPY OWNER OF Spyder PE #1133 w/ Leo Vince, High Flow Filter , Red caliper trim(whoopty doo), BRP sport rack/backrest, BRP saddle bags, BRP comfort seat, Honda RC51, Buell XB9R, Garmin 660, Tackyon XC action cam, Nolan N103 W/ N-Com kit(never use it...)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Drilled a hole through it, worked great, THANKS!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    What size drill bit did you use? Dealer told me that if you drill a hole in the center like that it would screw up the computer chip in the key?? Guess that was a load of crap, huh? I am going to try and drill my key...just let me know what size drill bit you used. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

What size drill bit did you use?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Be very carefull, your dealer was right and it seems some of you have been lucky. I know of at least two others here in RDU that have tried the same and guess what, thier keys no longer work. I think the solution with a hole on the very top/outside is the best solution so far for those that need a solution. I find having other keys will just create a bunch of scratches around the area and over time, look like crap. Just my two cents.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by patches View Post
    Be very carefull, your dealer was right and it seems some of you have been lucky. I know of at least two others here in RDU that have tried the same and guess what, thier keys no longer work. I think the solution with a hole on the very top/outside is the best solution so far for those that need a solution. I find having other keys will just create a bunch of scratches around the area and over time, look like crap. Just my two cents.
    Just wondering if we put this key under an X-ray machine, would the chip show up, more important would it damage the chip?

BillGargan

I still have both of the keys/sheaths I was issued on purchase.

I happen to love the sheath concept.

I don't know the cost of a replacement sheath -- but $18 sounds reasonable compared the the likely cost ($???) of a replacement key if your drilling ruins the key or the drilled hole pops and you lose the key.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BillGargan View Post

I don't know the cost of a replacement sheath -- but $18 sounds reasonable compared the the likely cost ($???) of a replacement key if your drilling ruins the key or the drilled hole pops and you lose the key.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

The problem I have is the key doesn't stay in the sheath...so you put the sheath on a key chain to make it easier to find in your pocket or (for us ladies) in our purse and I can easily find the sheath, but the key isn't in it...it has fallen out. I don't want to ruin my key by drilling, but wish the company would have put a little more thought into this and made a key you could attach to a key chain. I would worry about drilling along the edge as I think it would crack over time. I agree, a bunch of other keys on the same key chain would scratch up the bike. Guess nothing lost (like the key), nothing gained with staying with what we got.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BillGargan View Post

I would like it to be on ring with my alarm remote if possible

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by emac1 View Post
    The problem I have is the key doesn't stay in the sheath...so you put the sheath on a key chain to make it easier to find in your pocket or (for us ladies) in our purse and I can easily find the sheath, but the key isn't in it...it has fallen out. I don't want to ruin my key by drilling, but wish the company would have put a little more thought into this and made a key you could attach to a key chain. I would worry about drilling along the edge as I think it would crack over time. I agree, a bunch of other keys on the same key chain would scratch up the bike. Guess nothing lost (like the key), nothing gained with staying with what we got.
    There must be something wrong with the sheath if your key falls out. Mine snaps in with a solid click and it takes a distinct pull to get it to release.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smokster View Post
    Just wondering if we put this key under an X-ray machine, would the chip show up, more important would it damage the chip?
    The chip would show using an industrial machine and no it won't damage it. However it can be expensive. Almost the price of a new key.
    Premeir Edition #59

SoCal

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    There must be something wrong with the sheath if your key falls out. Mine snaps in with a solid click and it takes a distinct pull to get it to release.
    +1 The key should go all the way into the sheath, bottomed out with no metal showing. You have to shove it a little since it resists. It snaps out the same way. If yours does not do this, it is defective.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I used an 1/8 drill bit and went thru the corner of the key where the black and gray meet. I did mine and my girlfriends, no problems. I did notice that other keys hanging tend to mar up the handlebars quite easily so I only have a rubber key chain on it.

Spyder Garage

Come on buddy, some dealers including mine told people the spyder had a cut off at 120 mph or less which of course I had to explain was not true, nothing is more frustrating to me that misinformation, people that think they know or were told by someone who read something on the internet that was not backed by proof or real tested information.

You all have an extra key, I am handicrapped so carrying extra sh?t like a key sheath(who thought of this?) which is one other thing to lose when riding or transfering, it is amazing thing when you can feel something fall off your lap or out of your pocket or worse cut your leg up and you have no idea.

The reason I put up a pic is so people can see if you drill into the center of the key it will still work so if you drill 1/8 drill into the corner of the key there is NOTHING in the top of the key.

Again if you don't like stuff scratching you spyder handlebars that is of course your call but when you throw your wheelchair on it small scratches on your handlebars are the least of your worries.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by emac1 View Post
    The problem I have is the key doesn't stay in the sheath...so you put the sheath on a key chain to make it easier to find in your pocket or (for us ladies) in our purse and I can easily find the sheath, but the key isn't in it...it has fallen out. ..
    Geez, emac, after seventeen months of taking my key out of it's sheath, and two years of posting and reading on spyderlovers.com, this is the first I've heard of a key falling out of the sheath.

The material is well established for knife sheaths and pistol holsters.

I'd really say it's worth bringing to the dealer's attention.

Replacing the sheath would be the easiest warranty fix he's ever done!